Chiang Mai nightlife

heybruce

Yeah, the writer's bar is still going strong. I went daily for the two week I stayed there recently. Very solid food option with all the Northern favorites toned down a bit for the Western palate. And a beautiful old bar that has retained its original fixtures (changed hands about 5 years ago).

Def filled with oldies, a lot of whom are in house shares down side soi's that they're never going to move out of (I really wanted to rent in The Old City).

Didn't see any stray white wives; would have loved that. I met an old woman there who lives on $900 a month, including a daily couple of glasses of the house red at the bar.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:18 AM, heybruce said:

My Bar looks like a backpacker bar; not what I'm looking for.

I've done a quick walk down Loi Kroh since I've returned, I didn't notice Paradise Bar but didn't see any bars that looked promising.  I explained early in this topic, I'm not looking for a hooker bar.

Is "Bar 1" aka "Belgian Beer CNX" still closed?

Not cheap, but not a hooker bar, and was a firm favourite for many a non-touristy NYE party, and a gutsy speakeasy during the Covid paranoia years. 

It's tucked away in the Soi on the right once you pass most of the girly joints, but before the small bridge that goes over the khlong on Loi Kroh.

Edited by chalawaan

On 11/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure, it had a night life, but for anyone been to Pattaya it was pathetic.

Apples and Oranges much?

There's plenty to do in CM at night, and  before the global paranoia, craic could be found all night, especially if your imagination stretched beyond that of a superannuated sex-seeker.

Age is a question of attitude. 

Needing to consort with women your granddaughters age is not every retirees idea of great nightlife. 

If you’re thinking of going into real “local” areas I would advise some caution in some areas. Including the general area between the old city and Central Festival has many streets with low end karaoke/bar shack while not overtly dangerous you would need to act proper if you went at night.

The other area that I would consider semi-dangerous in terms of getting ripped off are the karaoke bars on Chang klan as you head away from the night market, and the smaller ones as you head much further down Chang klan could be more physically dangerous if you went at night and had problems. It all depends on how you act. Some of the ones on Chang klan are run by Chinese so it’s a different scene altogether.

Edited by JimTripper

I live in Nimman. It's all male Russian draft dodgers potheads, pretending to be Serbians; no pay day here.

If you want backpacker bars, go to Pai, where the backpackers are at least physically existent. I did see an oldie or two squiring around a younger, hairy arm pitted Israeli lass there. Why not you?

Search for my comments about it in a Pai thread I contributed to. Again, why not you?

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Why would 30yo Thai women want to be just friends with a farang 60yo? Talk about what? Thai food all day long? They have about 5% in common.

Yes, I have a lot of young female friends and yes we talk about a lot of different things. Most of the locals here are not as judgmental and differentiating then westerners are.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 1:02 AM, novacova said:

T-Bar or Hom bar. My local friends like hanging out at those bars, if you like hanging out with Thais

I checked out T-Bar last night, then walked around Santitham without seeing much that interested me, then had a final beer in Yawk Bar.

The pretties in T-Bar ranged from cute to well below average.  Unfortunately a hefty, heavily tattooed "pretty" latched onto me.  I finished my beer and left. 

If anyone is in the mood for an extra large, aggressive pretty with an extra large rack, you should check out T-Bar.  Otherwise, maybe not.

Yawk bar was nice; not the rambunctious pretty bar I was looking for, but a friendly corner bar good for a beer or three.

I've driven past Hom bar, I'll try to visit sometime soon.

50 minutes ago, heybruce said:

The pretties in T-Bar ranged from cute to well below average.  Unfortunately a hefty, heavily tattooed "pretty" latched onto me.  I finished my beer and left. 

You didn't want to talk to a person because they were fat ?

I thought that you were a Leftie who believes in all inclusiveness  and opposes discrimination and there you are not wanting to talk to fat people 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is a genuine question , if you just want to talk with Females and just be friends , why does their size and looks  matter ?

Maybe instead of speculating about what life is like, you could crawl out from under your bridge and experience it yourself.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Maybe instead of speculating about what life is like, you could crawl out from under your bridge and experience it yourself.

I really wouldn't want to experience that aspect of life , being an older guy in Asia wandering around the streets at night  looking for a younger female to have a friendship with (not sexual of course, cough -cough) .

That is quite a sad existence and approaching being a weirdo , especially for guys who are teachers and they are looking for pupil aged girls 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I really wouldn't want to experience that aspect of life , being an older guy in Asia wandering around the streets at night  looking for a younger female to have a friendship with (not sexual of course, cough -cough) .

That is quite a sad existence and approaching being a weirdo , especially for guys who are teachers and they are looking for pupil aged girls 

Your very ignorant assumptions are very wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

I checked out T-Bar last night, then walked around Santitham without seeing much that interested me, then had a final beer in Yawk Bar.

If anyone is in the mood for an extra large, aggressive pretty with an extra large rack, you should check out T-Bar.  Otherwise, maybe not.

Yawk bar was nice; not the rambunctious pretty bar I was looking for, but a friendly corner bar good for a beer or three.

I've driven past Hom bar, I'll try to visit sometime soon.

If you’re looking for looks, then maybe go somewhere that has that kinda thing going on for your type. If you have ulterior motives then you’ll get nowhere with most in these parts, you’ll only scare them. Though one can always head down to pit next to the night bazaar  

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What do you talk about ?

Why do you want to know? Not trying to be presumptuous but the question arises, ever talk to people respectfully, or is there something else swirling around in that mind that impedes the process? I’m not going to give a lesson here social skills or how not to be socially awkward. Tough I’ve noticed some do have such issues.

19 hours ago, heybruce said:

Ok, at this point I'm wondering...have you ever been to Thailand?

Seen most of Thailand. It seems you havent asking questions on how to meet Thais. Most Thai women want a bf or husband or kid or financial security. They dont want random farang friends. They dont have anything into common.

This was my view today from "non" Thailand

20221111_130832.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Why do you want to know? Not trying to be presumptuous but the question arises, ever talk to people respectfully, or is there something else swirling around in that mind that impedes the process? I’m not going to give a lesson here social skills or how not to be socially awkward. Tough I’ve noticed some do have such issues.

Tennis? Golf? Ww2 history? Roman history? US politics?

30yo Thai women have next to nothing in common with 60yo farangs apart from travel, beer, food and sex.