Is it worth going round the houses just to avoid entering via Bangkok?

Over the last few years I have been spending about 5 to 5 1/2 months a year in Thailand. This year I have clocked up just short of 5 months across three trips, with the last exit a couple of weeks ago. All three entries (one was last year) were visa exempt.

I will be entering the country again in December. I was expecting to be in Hanoi and thought I'd fly to Chiang Mai. I was just going to do another visa exempt entry as 75 days is enough.

I'm now going to be in Da Nang instead of Hanoi, plus I have friends that are going to be in Hua Hin, so I'm going to head down there to join them instead of going to Chiang Mai.

With the change of plans, it would make much more sense to fly from Da Nang to Bangkok and then get a taxi down to Hua Hin. The thing is, I hear you are a lot more likely to have a problem with immigration if you enter via Bangkok. I'm not sure how much of a risk that is with my travel / visa history. I'm not retirement age and it's obvious from my passport that I don't spend any time in my home country. I have income from rental property that I can demonstrate but I don't really want to have to go into that. If they let me in I would still end up with less than 6 months this year.

I could go via Chiang Mai but that means three flights. Is it worth the trouble to do that, or would it just be paranoid?

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Also, I think they are currently encouraging people to come why harass folks who want to come and spend some money.

Agree....however immigration has been wild cannon in the past .

One example is the covid extensions that were provided and extended again and again and immigration caused unnecessary stress. 

Pretty par for course 

As for your comment so many visa exempt entry per year,... Think you are looking at wrong metric.

In OP case what is most important factor is how long from last time in Thailand.

So that will be one month+ ?

He should be fine. 

2 hours ago, bear9 said:

If you want to enter via Bangkok then don't enter visa exempt considering your long term history in Thailand. Safer to arrive with a 60 day tourist visa less chance of problems with this.

Yeah, but there’s no consulate in Da Nang and last time I looked at the eVisa I was put off by all the information they wanted.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

In OP case what is most important factor is how long from last time in Thailand.

So that will be one month+ ?

He should be fine. 

Yeah, did about 3 months on visa exempt plus extensions ending in August, then basically out for 6 weeks, back for 1 week, then out again for what will be another 6 weeks.

Seems like it would be a bit cautious to go via Chiang Mai but not paranoid exactly.

Do you agree that it’s less risky via Chiang Mai (or with a visa)?

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Why would another entry point/airport make a difference?

Data is in their system, stamps in your passport.

Whether immigration in Chiang Mai is "more relaxed", I don't know.

It was a ploy being used prior to covid when Bangkok airports (particularly DMK) were playing "we are relevant and it's up to us" 

Other airports such as CNX were not refusing entry.

That pathway became the go to recommendation.

The OP for example should not have problem to enter Thailand visa exempt at Bangkok airports.

Trying to do a "border bounce" by air, fly out and return next day or 2 via air visa exempt not a good plan.

It's the time out of Thailand between visits  seems to be important. 

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

... in the past you would be flagged in the system with 6 exempt entries in a year and told to get a Visa for your next entry.

That is not quite accurate. At one time, you were flagged for enhanced scrutiny once you reached six visa exempt entries since a particular start date (which I cannot remember -- can anyone else?). 'Enhanced scrutiny' did not mean you were going to be denied entry, but did mean you could be at risk. I have no idea whether that policy remains in force.

A common guideline used by immigration officials is that you are no longer a regular tourist if you have spent more than 180 days in Thailand during the preceding 12 months.

Apart from the airport you are using, there is a good deal of luck involved. In the OP's case, I would regard his chance of problems as quite low, but not zero.

17 hours ago, bakerman said:

Do you agree that it’s less risky via Chiang Mai (or with a visa)?

Based on historical precedent, your risk via Chiang Mai would be zero. With a visa, your risk in Bangkok would be practically zero. In Bangkok relying on visa exemption, would not be high risk in your case, but there would be a very real low risk in my judgement. You seem to be leaning in the direction of taking that risk, and I would not accuse you of being foolhardy for such a decision. Fingers crossed.

By the way, are you aware that there are direct flights from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Based on historical precedent, your risk via Chiang Mai would be zero. With a visa, your risk in Bangkok would be practically zero. In Bangkok relying on visa exemption, would not be high risk in your case, but there would be a very real low risk in my judgement.

That seems to sum it up very well. In order to get a visa I would realistically go to Hanoi for a couple of days, and from there there's no benefit to going via Bangkok. I think I'll go via Chiang Mai.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

By the way, are you aware that there are direct flights from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin?

Yes, I've flown that route a few times (but thanks to you and cnx355 for mentioning it). Overall Da Nang / Hanoi / Chiang Mai / Hua Hin / Local taxi still involves a lot more messing about and waiting in airports than Da Nang / Bangkok / long distance taxi, besides being quite a bit more expensive. More important to avoid problems with immigration though.