Favourite 7/11 food

Sparktrader

I really like cheeseburgers. Love'em, in fact. On occasion, when I'm feeling a little homesick for America, a cheeseburger usually helps me get over it. ????

But where I live, 18 km north of Kanchanaburi City, in Lat Ya,  there's not a single place that makes hamburgers/cheeseburgers. Not one!

But then, about 2 years ago,  I discovered the Pork Burger w/Cheese and Bacon, at 7-11 ----39 baht. (Now 40) Pretty tasty, pretty cheap. And satisfies the sudden burger craving just dandy! 

400m walk to 7-11; 25-sec in the microwave. All for less than the gas would cost to drive into town for a 100-200 baht "real" cheeseburger! 

Yeah, since the Double Quarterpounder w/Cheese has made its appearance at McDonald's in Thailand......... (close to being my favorite fast food burger at home!)......... I've made the 18 km one-way trip about 8 times, or so. Cravings, y'know? Yum!

But even for that, there's the Double Patty Pork and Cheese Burger at 7-11 (also 40 baht), available any time, only 400m away! (The Quarterpounders at McDonald's are a limited-time promo. The signs are still up for them, but last time I went a few days ago, they said "sorry, mai mee!")

Gotta tell ya, I used to look down my nose at buying anything but packaged snacks and griller hot dogs at 7-11. I was a snob! A real snob!

But those cheeseburgers, pre-packaged though they are? Well, they're good enough to not just stamp down a sudden homesick burger craving........ but good enough to enjoy all on their own, for their own sake!

40 baht at 7-11.........

Cheaper than McDonald's.......... and better than anything McDonald's has for less than 100 baht!

(Now, if I could just solve that McDonald's Hash Browns breakfast craving, I'd be set! ????)

Cheers!

18 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I really like cheeseburgers. Love'em, in fact. On occasion, when I'm feeling a little homesick for America, a cheeseburger usually helps me get over it. ????

But where I live, 18 km north of Kanchanaburi City, in Lat Ya,  there's not a single place that makes hamburgers/cheeseburgers. Not one!

But then, about 2 years ago,  I discovered the Pork Burger w/Cheese and Bacon, at 7-11 ----39 baht. (Now 40) Pretty tasty, pretty cheap. And satisfies the sudden burger craving just dandy! 

400m walk to 7-11; 25-sec in the microwave. All for less than the gas would cost to drive into town for a 100-200 baht "real" cheeseburger! 

Yeah, since the Double Quarterpounder w/Cheese has made its appearance at McDonald's in Thailand......... (close to being my favorite fast food burger at home!)......... I've made the 18 km one-way trip about 8 times, or so. Cravings, y'know? Yum!

But even for that, there's the Double Patty Pork and Cheese Burger at 7-11 (also 40 baht), available any time, only 400m away! (The Quarterpounders at McDonald's are a limited-time promo. The signs are still up for them, but last time I went a few days ago, they said "sorry, mai mee!")

Gotta tell ya, I used to look down my nose at buying anything but packaged snacks and griller hot dogs at 7-11. I was a snob! A real snob!

But those cheeseburgers, pre-packaged though they are? Well, they're good enough to not just stamp down a sudden homesick burger craving........ but good enough to enjoy all on their own, for their own sake!

40 baht at 7-11.........

Cheaper than McDonald's.......... and better than anything McDonald's has for less than 100 baht!

(Now, if I could just solve that McDonald's Hash Browns breakfast craving, I'd be set! ????)

Cheers!

How's the weight/ measurement around waist going? ????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So this is a topic about favorite 7-11 foods which, I will presume, one does not eat every day but still the topic strays to excess carbohydrates, diabetes and weight gain.

Yet when there is a pub topic What low/medium price wine do you recommend? and one can presume there are at least some people on here who consume wine or other alcohol daily, not one mention of liver damage or cirrhosis of the liver.

Maybe because the homeopathic / natural remedies anti-BigPharma crowd are also more than 'light' alcohol consumers.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/stomach-liver-and-gastrointestinal-tract/alcohol-related-liver-disease

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well........ ????

Let's just say that if cannibalism ever becomes popular, I'm going to be the guy who looks like an all-you-can-eat buffet!

*wink*

(6 ft tall, 96 kg/211 lbs. Heavy, but not rotund. 37 inch waist. Of course, with one foot in the grave, that leaves me with only one foot to put on the scale. Then I'm only 48 kg! 555!)

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

So this is a topic about favorite 7-11 foods which, I will presume, one does not eat every day but still the topic strays to excess carbohydrates, diabetes and weight gain.

Yet when there is a pub topic What low/medium price wine do you recommend? and one can presume there are at least some people on here who consume wine or other alcohol daily, not one mention of liver damage or cirrhosis of the liver.

Maybe because the homeopathic / natural remedies anti-BigPharma crowd are also more than 'light' alcohol consumers.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/stomach-liver-and-gastrointestinal-tract/alcohol-related-liver-disease

Protein & Carbs = 4 kcal per gram.

Fats = 9 kcal per gram.

Alcohol = 8 kcal per gram.

From a caloric intake standpoint, drinking alcohol is roughly equivalent to slurping mayonnaise or melted butter, which are "100% fat."

My 7-11 Pork Burger w/Cheese and Bacon is 370 calories and, probably, 50% fat. Not great, but still better calorie-wise than a couple of beers.* And the protein and carbs in the burger have some nutritional value, while the alcohol has none. (And the burger is eaten instead of some other meal......... while beer and wine are generally drunk in addition to  eating a meal. ????)

If you want to be healthier........... forget the beer and wine and have a 7-11 Pork w/Cheese & Bacon Burger instead!

HAHAHA!

Eat for enjoyment........ waistline be damned!

-------------

* (Note -- My at-hand package of Tom Yum Mama says it's 350 calories. Without question, that 7-11 Pork Burger is going to be far fewer calories than a typical plate of Pad Thai, Pad See Ew or Keemow! Yeah, yeah, yeah........ I'm justifying rather than explaining........ but still! ????)

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

On 11/2/2022 at 9:01 AM, dingdongrb said:

Bruce's in Severance Colorado has the best Rocky Mountain Oysters ever!!!

When i used to work cattle the local natives sometimes brought a barbeque

to work.Oisters fresh out of the bag on the BQ,fresh and delicious!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, Lacessit said:

None. A haven for sugar and carbohydrate junkies. Possibly the only product in there that can be remotely described as healthy are the probiotics, and even they have sugar.

Yep, everything bar bananas is rubbish and bad for you over time, but who cares, it usually tastes good and is convenient and cheap. We all gonna die anyway! :tongue:

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yep, everything bar bananas is rubbish and bad for you over time, but who cares, it usually tastes good and is convenient and cheap. We all gonna die anyway! :tongue:

Quite true, however, there are less pleasant ways to shuffle off this mortal coil. Here's some of the complications from diabetes:

Complications
  • Heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) disease. Diabetes majorly increases the risk of many heart problems. ...
  • Nerve damage (neuropathy). ...
  • Kidney damage (nephropathy). ...
  • Eye damage (retinopathy). ...
  • Foot damage. ...
  • Skin and mouth conditions. ...
  • Hearing impairment. ...
  • Alzheimer's disease.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Quite true, however, there are less pleasant ways to shuffle off this mortal coil. Here's some of the complications from diabetes:

Complications
  • Heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) disease. Diabetes majorly increases the risk of many heart problems. ...
  • Nerve damage (neuropathy). ...
  • Kidney damage (nephropathy). ...
  • Eye damage (retinopathy). ...
  • Foot damage. ...
  • Skin and mouth conditions. ...
  • Hearing impairment. ...
  • Alzheimer's disease.

So how many trips to the 7-11 does it take before one develops diabetes?

• Love It 1

58 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So how many trips to the 7-11 does it take before one develops diabetes?

My doctor recommended that when I feel wobbly and nauseous (as I do every morning), to drink a normal sugar content soft drink and/or drink my tea or coffee with a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Can't resist a least a couple of cheese, cheese/ham or sausage toasties whilst I'm in 7/11. Then you need biscuits and a few cakes to round things off. Only following doctor's orders.  

On 11/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Well........ ????

Let's just say that if cannibalism ever becomes popular, I'm going to be the guy who looks like an all-you-can-eat buffet!

*wink*

(6 ft tall, 96 kg/211 lbs. Heavy, but not rotund. 37 inch waist. Of course, with one foot in the grave, that leaves me with only one foot to put on the scale. Then I'm only 48 kg! 555!)

LOL. Just as well I gave up sugar then. I went from an appetising 102 kg to a slimmer 87 kg by ONLY giving up sugar. Didn't change my lifestyle, exercise levels, or diet ( other than the sugary foods ).

IMO convincing evidence that sugar is very bad for us.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:45 PM, The Fugitive said:

My doctor recommended that when I feel wobbly and nauseous (as I do every morning), to drink a normal sugar content soft drink and/or drink my tea or coffee with a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Can't resist a least a couple of cheese, cheese/ham or sausage toasties whilst I'm in 7/11. Then you need biscuits and a few cakes to round things off. Only following doctor's orders.  

I used to get hypo quite often when at work so ate a sugar loaded piece of cake to sort it. I no longer get hypos, but I have no idea why.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't understand that, Eating a high sugar diet leads to diabetes, so diabetes is caused by sugar wherever it's bought from, not specific to 7 11.

The topic heading was what is your favorite food at 7-11. The topic heading was NOT what foods can you eat at 7-11 (or anywhere) to avoid diabetes.

On 11/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, The Fugitive said:

Change doctors

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, The Fugitive said:

Go see a good endocrinologist, that doesn't sound like good advice at all.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:02 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Vegetarian spicy stir-fried basil with brown rice. Found in the freezer section and available year-round at most 7-11s. I keep a couple in my freezer at all times.

Dang, wish I'd known about that, being vegetarian.  I just returned to the US today after 2 months in Thailand.

I had to resort to canned food many times.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTACGDy-zDAfwBC4v2w3RBb1q5YoQcHruta6Dzi0oUBvtsj5AJyJpfmiFFLeQoa2tdD46E&usqp=CAU

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Go see a good endocrinologist, that doesn't sound like good advice at all.

It was the best the hospital doctor could do at the time. I'd 'hit the deck' with a blood glucose reading of 42. No previous history of anything diabetic related. He wanted to admit me for tests but my Mrs refused because it wasn't 'convenient'. Testing myself regularly since and the readings are always fine as they are at annual medicals. 

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

It was the best the hospital doctor could do at the time. I'd 'hit the deck' with a blood glucose reading of 42. No previous history of anything diabetic related. He wanted to admit me for tests but my Mrs refused because it wasn't 'convenient'. Testing myself regularly since and the readings are always fine as they are at annual medicals. 

You said you feel wobbly every morning, something is not right, go see a decent endocrinologist, really.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You said you feel wobbly every morning, something is not right, go see a decent endocrinologist, really.

Thank you for your concern. Upon second thoughts it could be something else other than low blood glucose. I will get it investigated now.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:06 PM, daveAustin said:

Except the unhealthy ones tend to spend their later years in misery with chronic health conditions, so best of luck with that.  Ask anyone who has watched what happens to their diabetic parents in their final years like I have.  Diabetes is no joke and gets more unfunny the older you are.

Edited by shdmn

53 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Dang, wish I'd known about that, being vegetarian.  I just returned to the US today after 2 months in Thailand.

I had to resort to canned food many times.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTACGDy-zDAfwBC4v2w3RBb1q5YoQcHruta6Dzi0oUBvtsj5AJyJpfmiFFLeQoa2tdD46E&usqp=CAU

555 Wheaties in a can!

Well that sucks. Also, from about 25 Sept - 4 Oct was the Thailand Veg Fest. 7-11 had more than just this one. Had 2 other frozen meals, Larb with Sticky Rice in the fridge along with Veg sausages and sandwich slices, gyoza and also a couple veg Mama Noodle cups. Oh and some vegan banana muffins and pineapple pies! Some good, cheap, convenient eating for about a week. Too bad it doesn't last longer, but my second freezer is stocked full. Microwaved one last night after closing a local bar down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

555 Wheaties in a can!

Well that sucks. Also, from about 25 Sept - 4 Oct was the Thailand Veg Fest. 7-11 had more than just this one. Had 2 other frozen meals, Larb with Sticky Rice in the fridge along with Veg sausages and sandwich slices, gyoza and also a couple veg Mama Noodle cups. Oh and some vegan banana muffins and pineapple pies! Some good, cheap, convenient eating for about a week. Too bad it doesn't last longer, but my second freezer is stocked full. Microwaved one last night after closing a local bar down. 

This time around I let my wife order food for me, as I was lazy.  40 some years ago I had to be very explicit and tell them how and what to cook.  That was a real motivation to learn Thai language, as I was there for 2+ years. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1