US midterm elections: What's happened to economy under Biden?

Scott

image.png

President Joe Biden and his Republican opponents have traded accusations over the handling of the US economy under his administration.

With inflation rising and stock markets on a downward trend for most of this year, Republicans have talked of "Joe Biden's recession".

Mr Biden has countered that there's been good job growth and low unemployment, and says the economy is "as strong as hell".

https://www.bbc.com/news/59402975

BBC.jpg

4 hours ago, Credo said:

Since we are telling little family homilies, my kids and grandkids have all done very well.  I also have one disabled child--a veteran.  He doesn't work but the gov't takes very good care of him.  Free medical, a very generous disability check and social security.  His wife worked full-time and during the pandemic, made it quite far up the corporate ladder.  She plans on retiring this month.   

Two of the others are quite content with their careers.  They were able to leave their previous employment for jobs which they find much more satisfying with benefits that are much more generous.  So, all-in-all quite content.   

One of the grandkids has his own construction company, and the pandemic was good for his business.  He followed Covid protocols and a lot of the building was done outdoors and when it came to finishing, they took precautions.  His business did well enough that he is now taking his first vacation ever for a nice visit to SE Asia.  

Almost everyone suffered during the pandemic.  Coming out on the other side has had challenges.  I simply don't know too many people, other than those that succumbed to the disease, who haven't managed to come through reasonably well.   We face challenges ahead, but we've always had challenges.   

Perhaps some do not remember the 80s and high inflation, but if it isn't stopped even those that did well during covid will suffer large, like the rest of us already are.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Credo said:

For someone who has no interest in the US domestically, I have to wonder why you take such a strong position and a fervent interest in US politics?   I am suspicious.

Did you miss the bit about caring about international politics and the US being important for it, or are you adding 2+2 and coming up with 22?

Perhaps you can indicate an actual post where I have contributed something to do with domestic politics ie not federal? Perhaps not?

36 minutes ago, Credo said:

The choices are limited, but it will end. 

Lets hope it doesn't lead to a world depression then. The last time that happened it took a world war and millions of dead to fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Credo said:

The party you support has no plan that will stop it, but like you, they holler and whine about it instead.   

I support it only because it's the only party that has a realistic chance of demolishing the democrat agenda.

If the Dancing Dead Dog party had as much chance of doing so I'd switch to them in a heartbeat.

For those of a literal mindset- the Dancing Dead Dog party does not exist.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I support it only because it's the only party that has a realistic chance of demolishing the democrat agenda.

If the Dancing Dead Dog party had as much chance of doing so I'd switch to them in a heartbeat.

I will give you credit for providing a reason albeit ambiquous agenda for supporting your party unlike a more direct reason that Democrats never got over the Civil War.  

Hmmm. A little clarification of what some claim to "remember"..........

The back-breaking inflation in the U.S. was in the 70s, under Ford and Carter. Yes, those high levels carried over into the early 80s, but only at the beginning. It takes TIME for new policies to take hold.

By '83, inflation was returning to "normal" and stayed there for the rest of the decade.

So, if you're "remembering" the "high inflation of the 80s"......... nah, youre really not. You're remembering the high inflation of the 70s.

Here's a link.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/

Same goes for "gas shortages and gas lines." That was the 70s, too, not the 80s. (OPEC, oil embargo, odds-and-evens, etc.)

ON THE OTHER HAND.........

Beginning with 1992 and holding FOR THE NEXT 30 YEARS, inflation remained LOW! Under 3% for nearly all that time. 30 YEARS!

(For a big part of that stretch, apparently, the FED was trying  to push inflation UP........... and failing at it!)

The reason people need to refer back 40 years to "the 80s" to complain about high inflation........... is because, for all intents and purposes, inflation has been a non-factor for the last 30 years!

So........ inflation is doing a little "catch-up" in the post-pandemic era, and we don't know how long it will last? Sadly, that's going to make it tough for a small segmant of the population. But that's how it works, isn't it? Y'get the bad with the good?

Personally, I'm focused on how much better off I am now after 30 years of unusually low inflation........... than I would have been otherwise, if inflation had just been "normal." 

For me, being able to live in Thailand for less than a third of what it would cost me in America.......... more more MORE than makes up for it!

LOL

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I will give you credit for providing a reason albeit ambiquous agenda for supporting your party unlike a more direct reason that Democrats never got over the Civil War.  

A good saying to remember is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend ( at least till my enemy is vanquished )".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

The back-breaking inflation in the U.S. was in the 70s,

The back-breaking inflation ..................... was in the 70s

Thanks for the correction.

My memory isn't what it used to be.

5 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Personally, I'm focused on how much better off I am now after 30 years of unusually low inflation........... than I would have been if inflation had just been "normal." 

Was bad for me as earned basically zero % on my savings after 2007 crash.

I used to earn up to ( or over ) 12% on term deposits.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is this "democrat agenda" that is so horrible that you support the party undermining democracy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, riclag said:

bidens economy can be seen every time you go to the gas pump, open your 401 k portfolio and shop at the grocery store.
 Majority of Americans vote their pocket book not their politics , so to speak.

Soon his and his like will see what a majority of Americans think of his failures come Nov elections imop

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/personal-finance/gas-prices-by-state/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/401k-down-34000-inflation

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-13/soaring-food-costs-further-squeeze-us-consumers-in-blow-to-biden

So Biden is responsible for the global gas price. How?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Credo said:

Oh, wait, yes, I do know of one proposal -- cutting social security.   

How about cancelling the ridiculously named Inflation Reduction Act? Also the American Rescue Plan. Also the insane student loan payback.  Freeing up the energy industry. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

And yet I have not heard one thing that the Republican Party plans to do to lower inflation.  Nothing.  

Not surprising.

Even if they have some solid ideas, they'd never say them out loud.

Generally, the party out of power never  talks about the solutions they may have. The fear is that by revealing them....... (if they actually have any!).......... the opposition will co-opt those ideas and claim them as their own.

Then, if they work, that becomes one of their bragging points to get themselves reelected!

The opposition may complain a blue streak about the policies of their opposition, but they'll NEVER tell you what their "better ideas" are! Never!

And it doesn't matter whether we're talking Republicans or Democrats. It works the same both ways. 

(Remember.......... Democrats were very vocal about their disdain for Trump's border wall and tariffs............ but they NEVER offered workable alternatives for solving the problems that Trump was trying to remedy! You just don't give away your "better ideas" for nothing. Nuh uh, y'just dont do it! ????)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Biden's ability to affect prices at the gas pump is negligible. He can make a hiccup happen from time to time, but that's it!

Food prices -- Surely nothing more needs to be said about Supply Chain problems, does it? Biden didn't create these probelms, and he isn't the solution to them.

Growers couldn't grow during the pandemic. Truckers couldnt truck. Miners couldn't mine. Smelters couldn't smelt.

Cancelling Keystone at the very start of his term didn't exactly help.

Restrictions were created by the government, so, IMO, the government is responsible for growers not growing, truckers not trucking, miners not mining, and smelters not smelting. I believe the previous POTUS was criticized by your side for not locking down soon enough, so don't blame him for it.

I made my position on lockdowns clear when they started, so not going to repeat now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

Oh, you mean the things that actually help middle and lower income people?  The energy industry is as free as they can be.  They have ample permits and have been given permission to frack where it was previously denied.  The renewable energy sector is showing unprecedented growth.  Keep trying.

Now, please explain how cutting or ending social security is going to help?   

been given permission to frack where it was previously denied

Seems principles of the Big Guy are somewhat flexible then :saai:

They ain't going to resume fracking unless it's profitable to do so, and Biden is leading on the "gas is too expensive" front. Also, I guess they won't unless Biden guarantees the Democrats won't ban it again once the situation stabilizes.

Keystone back on again perhaps?

• Like 1