Paul Pelosi: Who is spreading false claims about attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband?

Scott

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

like so many mentally disturbed people in the US he is allowed to walk around untreated. 

I'd certainly agree. People who spout the same kind of fake, unfounded conspiracy theory nonsense as DePape, and who violently attack others, probably are in need of some serious treatment.

Hopefully he'll get plenty during a long stint in federal prison.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

He sounds like an anarchist more than anything. But without referencing his other 'idiosyncracies' it is impossible to make an accurate judgement. His ex Taub says;

"I don’t think he became a Trump supporter, he was against the government, but if anything he was opposed to the shadow government, against the people who really run the government and use politicians as puppets. Like Trump was a puppet."

and the writer of the article asserts;

Here's where the conspiracy theories of the far left collide with the far right and conspiracists in general. Talk of a "shadow government" is hardly the purview of just one end of the spectrum — and Taub says that she and DePape shared the view that 9/11 was an inside job.

https://sfist.com/2022/10/31/gypsy-taub-speaks-out-about-ex-boyfriend-david-depape-confirms-he-wasnt-a-trumper-but-had-mental-illness/

Seems like a guy who needed to be hospitalized, but like so many mentally disturbed people in the US he is allowed to walk around untreated. 

His ex Taub has been in prison for the last year or longer for child abduction. The interview she gave was from prison over the phone, how would she know what he's like now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

His ex Taub has been in prison for the last year or longer for child abduction. The interview she gave was from prison over the phone, how would she know what he's like now?

I think it shows a certain lack of consistency or clarity in his ideas. He floats from conspiracy to conspiracy to wild imaginings to even, as the article said, thinking he was Jesus for a year. His current infatuation is only the latest manifestation of a greater sickness. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, JonnyF said:

Actually, some people just want the truth. I don't believe you need to be a Republican or MAGA to want the truth (I am neither, I'm not even American). If the truth is as is it currently being portrayed then that's fine, "if" it's the truth. Maybe law enforcement in California really does attend emergency home invasions and then watches on as the attacker fractures the skull of the 82 year old victim. Based on what I know of the extremely aggressive American policing style it seems unlikely but if that's the case, the cops need to be brought to account for such a pathetic response. If the account is true, Pelosi should be suing them for millions for gross negligence. 

The accounts given just seem completely unrealistic to me. I'd like to see what really happened. Hopefully we'll see the actual CCTV and bodycam video (minus any graphic footage of course). If I was Pelosi, I'd also want to put these "silly" rumours to bed (assuming that's what they are) and would support the videos being released. If they refuse to release the footage, naturally the rumours will continue.

The police certainly "attend" home invasion calls in SF most exclusive neighborhood home to Speaker of the House. When she is in residence they are standing by nearby 

Police body cam footage is always suppressed by their management and unions*, when it is not looking  perfect for them. How many murders were hidden? In this case they were not aggressive enough obviously. That is a judgement call. They followed their training and issued a legal order to drop the weapon which is primary training. Upon showing up at a home invasion in real time probably not knowing who is the assailant and who is the victim, just to start firing in a vestibule would  be wrong also.

There is nothing hard to believe here. A crazy person emboldened by Trump, Marjorie Taylor Greene and countless other right wing maniacs snapped. It does not matter if he was an illegal alien from Canada. He was radicalized by nonsense online propaganda and speculations which ranges from the ridiculous  Q-Anon to the countless JonnyF s who are "just asking questions". 

That is why facts do not matter anymore and nearly 3 years after 2020 Trump supporters mostly think the election was "stolen". Right- wingers in US believe what they want and the facts reinforce their fantasies.  The Paul Pelosi attack is on the hands of these maniacs.

*I strongly support police unions bargaining for wages and benefits and upholding the terms of labor contracts like any other worker. Not protection for qualified immunity that protects them from all charges when the say they were scared, mostly of black and brown people.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

"Taub, 53, said her onetime boyfriend — who appears to have spent recent weeks posting right-wing conspiracy theories onto personal websites with no apparent audience — “is a broken child in an adult body with serious mental problems.”

Taub spoke in an hour-long phone interview from the California Institution for Women in Corona (Riverside County), where she is serving time for attempting to abduct a 14-year-old boy in Berkeley with whom she had become obsessed.

The couple kept in touch intermittently after they broke up for good in 2015."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Ex-girlfriend-of-suspect-in-Paul-Pelosi-attack-17545968.php

Apparently, Taub has her own issues as well....  Woosh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hanaguma said:

I think it shows a certain lack of consistency or clarity in his ideas. He floats from conspiracy to conspiracy to wild imaginings to even, as the article said, thinking he was Jesus for a year. His current infatuation is only the latest manifestation of a greater sickness. 

He was very clear what he wanted to do to Nancy

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the good of all concerned, hopefully the authorities involved/Capitol Police had better re-think their narrow assumptions...

That will require at least 4 extra staff working a 3 shift rota working 8 hour shifts and rotating every week, unless they shift those camera feeds to an actively monitored panel full time.

"status hearing was set for November 28 and a preliminary hearing was set for December 14."

(San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins)

"He spelled out exactly what he did and why, so he was very clear about what his intentions were, about why he had those intentions, and what exactly he had planned to do," Jenkins said on "Erin Burnett Outfront" on Friday, referring to DePape's volunteered statements to police.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/man-who-allegedly-attacked-paul-pelosi-waives-court-appearance-future-hearings-set-1.6139582

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Jeez, when all else fails blame it on his immigration status…..lol

Yep, a guy who left Canada for the U.S. many years ago after he graduated from high school (he's 42 now)... But who only went far off the deep end lately when he got involved in...we all know what....

"And then, most recently, an apparent obsession with pumping right-wing conspiracy theories into the internet — spending hours and days in front of a computer, filling web pages that had no apparent audience."

He published multiple blogs laced with statements about the QAnon mass delusion, whose adherents believe former President Donald Trump stands against an alliance of Satan-worshipping Democratic pedophiles. The blog also included bigoted commentary directed at people of color, women, Jewish people, Muslims, members of the LGBTQ community and immigrants."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/What-we-know-about-David-DePape-man-accused-of-17542056.php

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

That might be the case but it appears that it was most likely his maga herd thinking that led to this attack. 

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That might be the case but it appears that it was most likely his maga herd thinking that led to this attack. 

Per USA Today:

"Pelosi then sat back down on the bed and asked why DePape wanted to see his wife.

“Well, she’s No. 2 in line for the presidency, right?” DePape allegedly said. “We’ve got to take them all out.”

(more)

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/news/details-emerge-paul-pelosi-attack-090058873.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"It appears" and "most likely" are purely subjective. Strangely, they also fit a particular political narrative at a particularly important time.  Coincidence? I think not.

I am willing to wait and see, others have a peculiar desire to rush to judgement without evidence.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

"It appears" and "most likely" are purely subjective. Strangely, they also fit a particular political narrative at a particularly important time.  Coincidence? I think not.

I am willing to wait and see, others have a peculiar desire to rush to judgement without evidence.

I only used “appears” and “most likely” to keep the peace, my personal and more forthright view would involve neither of these terms. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Less forthright language used
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

He sounds like an anarchist more than anything. But without referencing his other 'idiosyncracies' it is impossible to make an accurate judgement. His ex Taub says;

"I don’t think he became a Trump supporter, he was against the government, but if anything he was opposed to the shadow government, against the people who really run the government and use politicians as puppets. Like Trump was a puppet."

and the writer of the article asserts;

Here's where the conspiracy theories of the far left collide with the far right and conspiracists in general. Talk of a "shadow government" is hardly the purview of just one end of the spectrum — and Taub says that she and DePape shared the view that 9/11 was an inside job.

https://sfist.com/2022/10/31/gypsy-taub-speaks-out-about-ex-boyfriend-david-depape-confirms-he-wasnt-a-trumper-but-had-mental-illness/

Seems like a guy who needed to be hospitalized, but like so many mentally disturbed people in the US he is allowed to walk around untreated. 

Do you suppose the calls to  ‘Drain the swamp’ might have resonated with him and why do you suppose he was so fixated on Nancy Pelosi?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

From the New York Times, quoting DePape's most recent employer:

"Over the six years he has known Mr. DePape, Mr. Ciccarelli said, he witnessed a transformation from a shy and hardworking, but troubled, man into someone who was increasingly isolated and captive to his darkest thoughts.

“If you got him talking about politics, it was all over,” Mr. Ciccarelli recalled in an interview this week. “Because he really believed in the whole MAGA, ‘Pizzagate,’ stolen election — you know, all of it, all the way down the line.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/us/pelosi-attack-depape-arraignment.html

"Last year, David DePape posted links on his Facebook page to multiple videos produced by My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell falsely alleging that the 2020 election was stolen. Other posts included transphobic images and linked to websites claiming Covid vaccines were deadly. ...

DePape also posted links to YouTube videos with titles like “Democrat FARCE Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Riot COLLAPSES in Congress!!!” and “Global Elites Plan To Take Control Of YOUR Money! (Revealed)”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alleged-paul-pelosi-attacker-posted-multiple-conspiracy-theories/ar-AA13uLaM

I don't doubt you. Trouble is, I also don't doubt the Washington Post:

The San Francisco Bay area man arrested in the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband filled a blog a week before the incident with delusional thoughts, including that an invisible fairy attacked an acquaintance and sometimes appeared to him in the form of a bird, according to online writings under his name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2022/10/29/david-depape-blog-pelosi-fairies/

Both can be true. It is a partisan mistake to keep eyes on one but not the other.  To be honest, I think Pelosi was the target because she lived down the road in San Fran.  But this guy was delusional and had been for years.  It is hard to square the circle from nudist activist to faerie talker to self proclaimed Jesus to MAGA supporter. Unless the guy is clinically insane, in which case it makes perfect sense. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I don't doubt you. Trouble is, I also don't doubt the Washington Post:

The San Francisco Bay area man arrested in the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband filled a blog a week before the incident with delusional thoughts, including that an invisible fairy attacked an acquaintance and sometimes appeared to him in the form of a bird, according to online writings under his name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2022/10/29/david-depape-blog-pelosi-fairies/

Both can be true. It is a partisan mistake to keep eyes on one but not the other.  To be honest, I think Pelosi was the target because she lived down the road in San Fran.  But this guy was delusional and had been for years.  It is hard to square the circle from nudist activist to faerie talker to self proclaimed Jesus to MAGA supporter. Unless the guy is clinically insane, in which case it makes perfect sense. 

Nobody is saying he was not delusional. Most MAGA nuts are, believing in all sorts of wacky theories that the election was stolen, QAnon blood harvesting nonsense. He fits right in.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Nobody is saying he was not delusional. Most MAGA nuts are, believing in all sorts of wacky theories that the election was stolen, QAnon blood harvesting nonsense. He fits right in.

Sorry, not true. There is a difference between actual insanity and political disagreement. Pity more people cannot see it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sorry, not true. There is a difference between actual insanity and political disagreement. Pity more people cannot see it. 

I can name a few high profile republican MAGA who churn out and believe insane theories just as crazy. Does that also make them insane?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The poster you're responding to essentially called DePape "delusional," which IMHO he clearly is, for all of his MAGA beliefs, along with Jesus and faeries and whatever.

The prior poster didn't use the term "insanity." Only you did. Insanity is a legal term, and one that's a basis for not being held accountable for criminal charges... Almost like you were trying to build a defense for the hammer attacker.

Maybe you should give his public defender a call!

• Like 2

But regardless of whether he was just "delusional" or really legally "insane," his self expressed motivation was clear:

As reported in the federal affidavit related to the federal charges filed against him.:

"If Nancy [Pelosi] were to tell DEPAPE the “truth,” he would let her go, and if she “lied,” he was going to break “her kneecaps.”...

In the course of the interview, DEPAPE articulated he viewed Nancy as the “leader of the pack” of lies told by the Democratic Party. DEPAPE also later explained that by breaking Nancy’s kneecaps, she would then have to be wheeled into Congress, which would show other Members of Congress there were consequences to actions."

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/man-charged-assault-and-attempted-kidnapping-following-breaking-and-entering-pelosi-residence

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1548106/download

And then more recently in further reporting:

“Well, she’s [Nancy Pelosi] No. 2 in line for the presidency, right?” DePape allegedly said. “We’ve got to take them all out.”

(more)

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/news/details-emerge-paul-pelosi-attack-090058873.html