Dementia... and what to do..

At a great cost to society, many people are living on, in near vegetative states. They are not going to get better. 

Does your home country have a good way of dealing with this? I have heard that the last 6 months of life can cost $500,000 in US - I think near everyone would choose to have that money early in life, to start a business, to buy a home... but I know there is no practical way to implement this.. 

I have spoken to doctors who say families have problems, some wanting to let the elderly go and others wanting to save grandma at all costs... 

Another problem is the gradual nature of the affliction... My father became a little less reasonable year by year... none of it happy. 

But?? - what can you do? 

Do you have friends here crossing a line? Any solutions?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i reckon you need to choose an end date, maybe you need to bring forward if you get dementia, Parkinson's etc, take control before it's too late

Sure, Maude chose 80 but Harold managed to screw it up a little...

Choosing an expiration date would be convenient, but how do you legally pursue such a thing? 

21 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Sure, Maude chose 80 but Harold managed to screw it up a little...

Choosing an expiration date would be convenient, but how do you legally pursue such a thing? 

Legally? i think condo flying and hanging are awful things to have to do, maybe go to Cambodia and have a drugs overdose, or an exit bag etc etc. Although that's controversial it's better than having a slow miserable death, but up to you

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Is it really? I think most would not want to be in that condition but don't know of alternatives and gradually slip into a loss of ability to make decisions... 

It's up to you if you don't leave it too late. Most don't take control so a slow miserable death follows 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I would offer my suggestion, but I forget what I was going to say.  ????   Sorry, serious topic I know. I go into other room and forget why sometimes. I'm only 64.. I mean that's old, but it will get worse.

I also have no one because I can't be around cell phones, so my son and my ex will prob. just soylent green me if the thing doesn't get them first. They won't tell me what they did during the you know what and it is their right to not tell me. . I suppose.

I didn't have any applesauce myself. So I'd hate to see them have issues bc they wouldn't take my advice not to eat apples during that period of widespread apple advertising. 

Something happens to them, I'm really toast. These feminists here hate my guts.. lolz I was even arrested last year on false charges, for which I still have to sue the county and I have to do it on my own.. 

Crazy times.  No one to talk to. These males here are castrated..  It's pretty bad how far gone married men in the US are. They worship and agree with any old manatee no matter how crazy she gets.. Sorry for the long post I guess.

3 hours ago, Cult of the Sun said:

Sorry, serious topic I know. I go into other room and forget why sometimes. I'm only 64.. I mean that's old, but it will get worse.

For the most part, that would be considered normal forgetting as we have all done that and probably even did it when we were in our 20s... the frequency might matter if done often.

Took me a minute to realize you were talking from a US perspective... 

• 5 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 11:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Legally? i think condo flying and hanging are awful things to have to do, maybe go to Cambodia and have a drugs overdose, or an exit bag etc etc. Although that's controversial it's better than having a slow miserable death, but up to you

People jumping off buildings seem to want to feel that. How does everyone not know about carbon monoxide poisoning  ? Just bring your barbecue into a small room in your house. Turn it on, close the windows , find a comfortable chair and a bottle of wine and sit down. You will slowly get a feeling of hippieness and drunkeness and then the lights will go out and you wont even know it

2 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

People jumping off buildings seem to want to feel that. How does everyone not know about carbon monoxide poisoning  ? Just bring your barbecue into a small room in your house. Turn it on, close the windows , find a comfortable chair and a bottle of wine and sit down. You will slowly get a feeling of hippieness and drunkeness and then the lights will go out and you wont even know it

How about the smoke?

Had a close family member go through it and pass away this year. In Australia it can be free in nursing homes where they take 85 per cent of the pension. Some nursing homes personable, down to earth, nice single rooms and a lot of activities.

If the lack of awareness that you are ill is slightly ahead of the illness itself then it can be somewhat of a life for the sufferer. Things like nice food, chocolate, and sunshine and massages and company bought the sufferer some pleasure.

Had to face the issue of whether to seek treatment this year when they got ill. Seemed clear to me the person had a kind of life and steps should be taken to help them as long as it didn’t involve intrusive things like ventilators. Others who didn’t see them as much seemed to compare the current person to the healthy person and thought it wasn’t a life worth living. Hard decisions. Awful part was looking at diaries over the years and the attempts by the person to stay positive and document things to help remember. You see the decline over months and years. Horrible. Don’t know what I would do. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Had a close family member go through it and pass away this year. In Australia it can be free in nursing homes where they take 85 per cent of the pension. 

My mother has dementia and is in a care facility (Australia).

Her pension covers the day to day costs.

$750,000 wedge up front to get her in there.