Unusual error

lungbing

When I start my admittedly old desktop running W10 it starts up fine, but after a two or three minutes it stops dead.  No response from keyboard or mouse.  I turn the power off, reboot and everything is fine for the rest of the session.

In desperation I replaced the motherboard battery as I know that can cause  intermittent errors but to no avail.  Bootup is fine, W10 starts OK but then it freezes.  But once only.  Device manager shows no problem and I have done a Windows update but only after this problem first showed itself about a week ago.

It's not a game changer, but I'm just hoping it isn't the prelude to something worse.  Anybody with any ideas what to look at?  Ta.

Most likely a hardware error. Check the motherboard for leaked or bulged capacitors.

Also it could be a bad contact because of oxidation in a humid climate. Try to disconnect everything from the motherboard and connect back - first of all the RAM, storage, and PCI devices.

Take out all memory modules and put them back in, then disconnect the hard drive (both ends of the cable - the motherboard side and the drive side too) and connect back, then disconnect the video card (if you have it) and put it back.

If it did not help then try to reconnect everything else.

bulged_capacitor.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Also it could be a bad contact because of oxidation in a humid climate. Try to disconnect everything from the motherboard and connect back - first of all the RAM, storage, and PCI devices.

Take out all memory modules and put them back in

Taking out and putting back is a little something, but best clean the contacts while the components are out. Pencil eraser, classic.

50 minutes ago, fdsa said:

then disconnect the hard drive (both ends of the cable - the motherboard side and the drive side too) and connect back

I'd spray a little contact cleaner into the ports before connecting back.

51 minutes ago, fdsa said:

then disconnect the video card (if you have it) and put it back.

Disconnect the video card when you disconnect the RAM etc. Also clean the contacts before reconnecting.

It's not a game changer, but I'm just hoping it isn't the prelude to something worse.  Anybody with any ideas what to look at?  Ta.

mine has been doing the same for near on 2 years....  

Is it getting to hot loading all start up items ? = 2 weeks ago cleaned CPU added new paste, is better so now maybe once in 3 start ups

No response from keyboard or mouse.  I turn the power off, reboot and everything is fine for the rest of the session.

yes used to do the same, but found if I went to kitchen and made a coffee on returning all was working again...  or sit there for up to 5 mins and suddenly it will make a beep noise and keyboard and mouse works again.....

Think on my old PC answer post 2 from fdsa' is most likely a month ago one o my HDD s vanished, last week another Vanished, both time appears the problem is the Sata connection on the Motherboard.. so only 4 connection now work = had to unplug the DVD drive...

Have been thinking for a long time of upgrading my M/B - CPU and Ram .......  so soon will rebuild Gigabyte AM4 B550 + Ryzen 5 5600X and 16 GB 3200 Ram..........................  Present Gigabyte AM 3 + FX 8300 + 16 GB 1330 Ram   11 years old, PC on around 15 hours a day 365 days a year, so lasted well.

Is it only the keyboard and mouse getting stuck?

If they are wireless devices then check the batteries, maybe new batteries needed.

If it is USB then try other usb ports and/or uninstall all USB drivers in device manager and reboot the PC.

Edited by userabcd

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

An obvious question here, is the mouse/keyboard wireless ? Also, when it freezes, what other devices are plugged into USB ports ?

Who are you asking ?

Me at present Keyboard wireless and mouse USB....  [same as when using the USB Keyboard]

Unplugged all 4 USB WD My Passports. made no difference [some time ago to check]

VGA card was also very old replaced last month to new RX 6500.  made no difference to the freezing every so often

Tks all for the heads up on old lap tops using win10, that is why having 3 old ones I still use the old win xp and win7.

Only draw back is they are 32bit and not 64bit, never mind.

Edge browser also works on these machines,

I am very glad I did not covert to win10,

Win ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ignis said:

Present Gigabyte AM 3 + FX 8300 + 16 GB 1330 Ram   11 years old, PC on around 15 hours a day 365 days a year, so lasted well.

You can get a new (used) AM3+ motherboard from Aliexpress cheaply.  My spare computer runs an FX-8350; good 'nuff, so if the old Gigabyte M/B died, I'd just replace it.

6 hours ago, ignis said:

both time appears the problem is the Sata connection on the Motherboard.. so only 4 connection now work = had to unplug the DVD drive...

Did you try spraying a little contact cleaner in the ports (MB and HD) and also trying different SATA cables?

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

You can get a new (used) AM3+ motherboard from Aliexpress cheaply.  My spare computer runs an FX-8350; good 'nuff, so if the old Gigabyte M/B died, I'd just replace it.

Appears you pay 2 - 3.000 baht for a ? {Good} used Gigabyte mainboard with a week warranty ......  the board is 10 years old would this be better than the board I already have ?  never feel it is a good idea to buy used computer parts...

A Brand New AM4 GIGABYTE B550M = 3,390 baht with 3 year warranty.......    even a Brand New GIGABYTE A520 is 2,440 baht with 3 year warranty. both for JIB or Advice....  pay as much for a 10 year old used mainboard ??

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Appears you pay 2 - 3.000 baht for a ? {Good} used Gigabyte mainboard with a week warranty ......  the board is 10 years old would this be better than the board I already have ?  never feel it is a good idea to buy used computer parts...

A Brand New AM4 GIGABYTE B550M = 3,390 baht with 3 year warranty.......    even a Brand New GIGABYTE A520 is 2,440 baht with 3 year warranty. both for JIB or Advice....  pay as much for a 10 year old used mainboard ??

No, there are AM3+ boards there for as little as B1056. Read the reviews and vendor rep, same as with Lazada.

It's disingenuous to ignore all the other expenses involved in changing over to a new socket.

I love putting together a new computer myself w/ the latest stuff. I keep looking for an excuse to spend the money. I walk into JIB and drool sometimes. Problem is, I just don't need it. Friend of mine ran Windows 95 on a Compaq for 15 years until his death, replaced a part or two. Made me crazy (you can imagine if he'd posted here), but I can see how he stayed a millionaire.

After running to and from the local repair shop three times in two days, it turns out to be a memory card, which is near enough what many suggested.  But the  little perisher had to be replaced, not just cleaned.

Thanks to everybody.

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, there are AM3+ boards there for as little as B1056. Read the reviews and vendor rep, same as with Lazada.

It's disingenuous to ignore all the other expenses involved in changing over to a new socket.

I love putting together a new computer myself w/ the latest stuff. I keep looking for an excuse to spend the money. I walk into JIB and drool sometimes. Problem is, I just don't need it. Friend of mine ran Windows 95 on a Compaq for 15 years until his death, replaced a part or two. Made me crazy (you can imagine if he'd posted here), but I can see how he stayed a millionaire.

Notice Banana It are doing some very good priced M/B    www.bnn.in.th/

B550 + the B450 and the A520  -- 1,500 - 1.800 baht Brand New with 3 year warranty

Have in the last couple of years replaced the case now have Full Tower AZZA with 10 case fans

THERMALTAKE 750W GOLD  PSU,  New SSD  only have the OS on it, + replaced 2 of my 2 TB HDDs... New Graphics Card

Some laptops just run and run.. My Sony AMD Laptop gave up after 18 years, my partners Acer XP Laptop has come to end of life = painfully slow and has a mind of its own, is 15 years old....  now uses a Tablet...