New Zealand expat arrested in Phuket with 26 guns and 11 grenades

snoop1130

14 hours ago, stoner said:

fully agree. 11 grenades ? hot dog that would cause a lot of carnage. 

Maybe he was preparing to assist the Ukranians by attacking Russians here in Thailand in a sick and twisted way. If so, and pure speculation on my part with no supporting information defi Italy one who has gone off of the deep end.

If a collector then all bets are on he brought them here from home somehow.  My safe in the US has many guns, for hunting, sport shooting and personal protection, but no way would I ever think of owning one here or bringing them here, both of which would be illegal.

The only theory that makes sense came from Gomangosteen early in the thread.

I guess some expats earn money any way they can.

"from Postsen News

Pol Lt. Gen. Surapong Thanomjit, Commander-in-Chief of Provincial Police District 8, further said that From the investigation, it is believed that the foreigner may be involved in the sale of firearms using online media."

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Bondi is known to Australians as a place to which thousands of New Zealander expat flock when they flee their own country. It has a large population of NZers.

The poster was using irony.

Manly Cronulla now Middle East playground.. No locals permitted ????

• Haha 1

I'm guessing he sold guns to finance his retirement.

-Or he let his house be used as a holding house for a gang.

No way would a collector or shooter have 4 pistol grip only (PGO) shotguns.  PGOs only work well in movies, in the real world, they hurt like hell to shoot and are inaccurate becauss you can't aim them.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You assume. You have no way of knowing that.

You're right, as a reader I have no way of knowing the intentions in the writer's mind!  I shouldn't make such a statement, instead just follow your lead in interpreting everything literally.

Can you detect what literary technique I'm using here? 

• Haha 1

In the past, I have seen news stories in Thailand labeling all kind of ordinance as 'grenades', so when I see the word grenade in a Thai news story, I expect to see a land mine or a mortar bomb that some farmer has dug up.

However, these are real fragment grenades.

These cannot be classed in the 'self defence' bracket.

These are weapons of war, designed to create the maximum carnage.

How does an expat make the connections that he would have needed to get hold of this cache?

He must have some fantastic stories and friends who the local police, New, Zealand police and Interpol will want him to share.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As mentioned about 40 posts ago . . . appears to be involved (allegedly) in online firearms sales

spacer.png

NZ Herald

A New Zealand expat in Thailand has reportedly been arrested and accused of taking part in a gun-trading business. An arsenal of guns, grenades and firearm components were allegedly seized at a Phuket property and Gareth A. Davies was arrested.

Thailand Posts said the stash included seven long-barreled firearms, with AK and M16 models, 19 short-barreled firearms, 11 explosives, and “a large number” of ammunition of various sizes, in addition to weapons modification equipment. The Thai media outlet said custom-made gun components were also seized, as were suppressors (commonly known as silencers).

4630db1b22.jpg 

From Thailand Postsen news

Provincial Police Region 8 forces raided the residence of a former engineer and found a small armoury - pistols, rifles, explosives, suspected of being traded. The Kathu Police Station Superintendent led the investigation targeting customers who bought firearms and ammunition in the Provincial Police Region 8 area. From the investigation, they were able to gather evidence for permission from the court to issue a search warrant. It is believed that the foreigner may be involved in the sale of firearms using online media. 
it was found that the house was being used as a place for modification and production of firearms as well as equipment for testing firearm sound suppressors. 

2b6e5c6ca6.jpg No one pointing, but a wild guess the man with the blanket over his knees could be Mr Davies 

Edited by gomangosteen
links

4 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

As I pointed out 40 posts ago . . . appears to online firearms sales

[img]https://thepattayanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/S__35569870-768x576.jpg?v=1667812859[/img]

[B][URL="https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/arsenal-of-guns-and-grenades-in-raid-reportedly-on-kiwi-expats-house-in-thailand/EYTFCUKKB5F7TFUOZ3CAUHMK3Q/"]NZ Herald[/URL][/B]:

[QUOTE]A New Zealand expat in Thailand has reportedly been arrested and accused of taking part in a gun-trading business. An arsenal of guns, grenades and firearm components were allegedly seized at a Phuket property and Gareth A. Davies was arrested.

Thailand Posts said the stash included seven long-barreled firearms, with AK and M16 models, 19 short-barreled firearms, 11 explosives, and “a large number” of ammunition of various sizes, in addition to weapons modification equipment. The Thai media outlet said custom-made gun components were also seized, as were suppressors (commonly known as silencers).
[/QUOTE]

[img]https://thailand.postsen.com/content/uploads/2022/11/07/4630db1b22.jpg[/img]

From [B][URL="https://thailand.postsen.com/live-style/71316/Amazed-Searching-for-a-foreign-residence-in-Phuket-Found-a-small-arsenal-of-weapons-Lots-of-bombs-guns.html"]Thailand Postsen news[/URL][/B]

Provincial Police Region 8 forces raided the residence of a former engineer and found a small armoury - pistols, rifles, explosives, suspected of being traded. The Kathu Police Station Superintendent led the investigation targeting customers who bought firearms and ammunition in the Provincial Police Region 8 area. From the investigation, they were able to gather evidence for permission from the court to issue a search warrant. It is believed that the foreigner may be involved in the sale of firearms using online media. 
it was found that the house was being used as a place for modification and production of firearms as well as equipment for testing firearm sound suppressors. 

[imghttps://thailand.postsen.com/content/uploads/2022/11/07/2b6e5c6ca6.jpg[/img]
No one pointing, but a wild guess the man with the blanket over his knees could be Mr Davies 

So he is/was an international arms dealer.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So he is/was an international arms dealer.

I don't think Phuket's Kathu Region 8 quite qualifies as international?

A small-time hobby arms dealer . . . 

targeting customers who bought firearms and ammunition in the Provincial Police Region 8 area.

Edited by gomangosteen

RE - A 63-year-old New Zealand expat has been arrested in Phuket with 26 guns, 11 grenades, and many bullets.

Clearly an anxious fellow - wonder if it based on an ugly divorce or bar fine runners - maybe both .... ????

Edited by ttrd

49 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You're right, as a reader I have no way of knowing the intentions in the writer's mind!  I shouldn't make such a statement, instead just follow your lead in interpreting everything literally.

Can you detect what literary technique I'm using here? 

Interpreting things literally and never assuming anything comes with doing my job as a journalist. Sorry if that offends you. As it turned out, you were correct.

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Interpreting things literally and never assuming anything comes with doing my job as a journalist. Sorry if that offends you. As it turned out, you were correct.

In my former job as an investigator, I had to consider all aspects of a situation and sometimes make assumptions (mostly successfully). My dealings with, and thoughts about, journalists were often very mixed. I've had lies made about me in print and on radio by lazy individuals who only embrace one side of a situation, but have also used contacts within that profession to get a real message out.

Sorry, I don't get offended, but do make my points if required.