Good restaurants Darkside

simple1

1 minute ago, Halfaboy said:

Thank you very much for your recommendation. I will give this restaurant a try.

Call them up before you go to make sure they have Chu- and O-Toro (the fatty parts of tuna) available. On rare occasions they dont because it is sought after despite the price.

I prefer the Chu-Toro Nigiri. Start with a California roll (That's what I think they call it - the one with still slightly warm Ebi tempura inside). One of the best price-performance items. Around THB 350.-- Sometimes you get 2 beers (Asahi) for one if you dont like sake. If you like Sake then I would not experiment with the more special ones but order the 1.5l Hakutsuru with the golden etikette - to be enjoyed warm is the best for this one. Otherwise go for the refill of cold green tea. If you like it you may ask for a member card. Gives you 16% discount.

Despite these measures do not forget your credit card. Enjoy. I hope you like sushi - then this will be an experience never to be had somewhere else in the rest of the region.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 6:37 PM, moogradod said:

Call them up before you go to make sure they have Chu- and O-Toro (the fatty parts of tuna) available. On rare occasions they dont because it is sought after despite the price.

I prefer the Chu-Toro Nigiri. Start with a California roll (That's what I think they call it - the one with still slightly warm Ebi tempura inside). One of the best price-performance items. Around THB 350.-- Sometimes you get 2 beers (Asahi) for one if you dont like sake. If you like Sake then I would not experiment with the more special ones but order the 1.5l Hakutsuru with the golden etikette - to be enjoyed warm is the best for this one. Otherwise go for the refill of cold green tea. If you like it you may ask for a member card. Gives you 16% discount.

Despite these measures do not forget your credit card. Enjoy. I hope you like sushi - then this will be an experience never to be had somewhere else in the rest of the region.

@HalfaboyWe have been to the Ronin just again yesterday. Superb as usual.

Concerning my recommendation for a starter as in my post above: It is not called "California Roll" but "Tempura Roll". It is priced at THB 350.-- and one of the cheaper but very tasty items. "California Roll" exists as well but this dish I did never try. Just as a rectification because you said you will try the restaurant sometime. Enjoy.

• Thanks 2

I have now departed Thailand, if all goes well returning approx 02/2024. We visited some of the recommended restaurants and overall, IMO, .the best being August for taste and service. From the other restaurants we visited the best meal we enjoyed, although relatively expensive was Cafe des Amis.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, MrJ2U said:

Nice philly cheesestealk sandwich.

On the way I was blown away by how many nice restaurants, condo's, and bars there were.

Dark side is so different from 15 years ago!  Not so dark anymore. 

please don`t tell everybody 55555

This thread makes my mouth water.  But it is hard to guess the acceptable price some of you are willing to pay for a nice meal out?  Financial ability and willingness can be so diverse.   Your local and maybe go out once a month for a special night out and night off from cooking.  But we will be visiting and eating out daily. 350 baht for a tempura roll sounds typical USA sushi prices but is one of the few price warnings I've read.   Maybe we are to frugal to enjoy most of these restaurants?  Can some of you express your typical dinner for 2 budget at say pepper and salt or suggestions.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Elkski said:

This thread makes my mouth water.  But it is hard to guess the acceptable price some of you are willing to pay for a nice meal out?  Financial ability and willingness can be so diverse.   Your local and maybe go out once a month for a special night out and night off from cooking.  But we will be visiting and eating out daily. 350 baht for a tempura roll sounds typical USA sushi prices but is one of the few price warnings I've read.   Maybe we are to frugal to enjoy most of these restaurants?  Can some of you express your typical dinner for 2 budget at say pepper and salt or suggestions.   

The price of a meal (dinner) depends very much on the appreciation the restaurant got and the price of the wine you chose (if you drink wine).

None of the restaurants discussed here even has one single Michelin star nor a Gault Millaut toque. So all of the restaurants in Pattaya fall already short to what you can get in Bangkok (up to 2 stars), let alone world wide.

The Tempura Roll mentioned at THB 350.-- is one of the cheaper items on the menu of this particular restaurant. A single O-toro nigiri (one pice) there amounts to THB 400.-- as far as I remember (I think even ++). This is not the cheapest you can get in Pattaya, but how much worth is it to you ? It is very much worth to us. So in this restaurant a bill for us may easily exceed 5'000.-- THB or more for two and we would not bother. We would enjoy.

The most expensive dinner for 2 I ever had was in Zurich at a 2 star venue. We paid just below THB 60'000.-- (including a cocktail). This was even more than for a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Barcelona and in Paris. As said before - it depends very much on the wine. If you are in the mood for a Petrus then this might not even be near enough.

Our visist at the Normandie in the Mandarin Oriental was something around 30'000.--, but now already some time ago again.

So the pricing of the moderate restaurants mentioned in this thread I do find all quite reasonable. All affordable - nevertheless tasty although not world class. But this is not what we do expect. I am very much more than happy with my new Pizza Restaurant discovery. Priceless. Quite pricy for a normal pizzeria, though, but we are more then happy to pay for what it is worth.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

The price of a meal (dinner) depends very much on the appreciation the restaurant got and the price of the wine you chose (if you drink wine).

None of the restaurants discussed here even has one single Michelin star nor a Gault Millaut toque. So all of the restaurants in Pattaya fall already short to what you can get in Bangkok (up to 2 stars), let alone world wide.

The Tempura Roll mentioned at THB 350.-- is one of the cheaper items on the menu of this particular restaurant. A single O-toro nigiri (one pice) there amounts to THB 400.-- as far as I remember (I think even ++). This is not the cheapest you can get in Pattaya, but how much worth is it to you ? It is very much worth to us. So in this restaurant a bill for us may easily exceed 5'000.-- THB or more for two and we would not bother. We would enjoy.

The most expensive dinner for 2 I ever had was in Zurich at a 2 star venue. We paid just below THB 60'000.-- (including a cocktail). This was even more than for a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Barcelona and in Paris. As said before - it depends very much on the wine. If you are in the mood for a Petrus then this might not even be near enough.

Our visist at the Normandie in the Mandarin Oriental was something around 30'000.--, but now already some time ago again.

So the pricing of the moderate restaurants mentioned in this thread I do find all quite reasonable. All affordable - nevertheless tasty although not world class. But this is not what we do expect. I am very much more than happy with my new Pizza Restaurant discovery. Priceless. Quite pricy for a normal pizzeria, though, but we are more then happy to pay for what it is worth.

Since @Elkskidid specifically asked about "Pepper & Salt" and "Suggestions": We have been visiting both restaurants only once and have therefore little experience. As far as I remember the bill was something between 2-3KTHB (without wine but with beverages).

But we are from the group of guests that only occasionally eats out. Normally we do cook at home. That might maybe put my post from above a bit in a better perspective. From time to time we visit Bangkok for a couple of days - just to eat. The exisitence of good restaurants is one of the biggest criterium when we decide where to go on holiday. Cannot wait for the Guide Michelin 2023 to arrive in the bookstores.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1