Selling land to foreigners is not selling out - it's "globalization" and normal, academic

webfact

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Add

- amount of land owned directly by the military as if it were an independent sovereign. The Thai government has no title over such property nor access to its resources.

Case in point: the 89+plot of Doi Suthep Forest land near Chiang Mai. 

Not nitpicking, but the military own the highest part of Doi Intanon near Chiang Mai where the observatory is  ?

6 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

What’s a well heeled foreigner? I’ve lived here for almost 20 years, married to a Thai with a daughter. Purchased property that can only be in my wife’s name, a vehicle and payed school fees plus all the extras foreigners are charged. I get a non o visa every year at an exorbitant price. Have I qualified yet? In comparison my wife’s last visa for my home country was less than US$100 and was valid until the expiry date in her passport at the time (almost 5 years). I mean am I well heeled enough?

I am interested in some of your comments and if I may say they are incorrect,

I am married to a Thai lady and have a daughter.

We have in addition to our home two businesses and several blocks of investment land.

Utilising the User Fruc provision my name is also on most of these.

Regarding your visa you can have a retirement extension or marriage visa the cost of both is minimal.

What are the extra costs you pay as a foreigner ?

Your daughter if you choose can receive almost free education and medical treatment if she is Thai.

If you choose for her to go to a private school and receive treatment through the private system as do I that is your choice as it would be in your home country

Regarding the cost of the visit of your wife to the US if she was not married to you how much would It cost and how easy would it be?

My Thai wife and daughter can visit Australia at no cost and do not need a visa as they are also Australian citizens although not born in AUstralia, does your country not give them this ?

If you were a 50 year old Thai male and had the equivalent of 800 00 baht that you were prepared to leave in a bank account in your country could you turn up on a flight, visa exempt  and stay indefinitely?

I doubt you could, certainly  not in my country Australia, or any western countries I can think of.

In conclusion if you have lived here for twenty years, if the country is so bad why haven’t you retuned to your Utopian homeland ?

7 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

What’s a well heeled foreigner? I’ve lived here for almost 20 years, married to a Thai with a daughter. Purchased property that can only be in my wife’s name, a vehicle and payed school fees plus all the extras foreigners are charged. I get a non o visa every year at an exorbitant price. Have I qualified yet? In comparison my wife’s last visa for my home country was less than US$100 and was valid until the expiry date in her passport at the time (almost 5 years). I mean am I well heeled enough?

Precisely why I foxtrot oscarred. You’ll always be a second class unwelcome wallet until said wallet has been emptied.  

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He also took a swipe at government critics who blame the government for not developing then shout "treason" when they advocate doing just that by attempting to enact policies commonplace in many countries.

Two faced Thailand..

Two way fair trade deals.. then add luxury tax.

Dual pricing for tourists.

Thais want tourists... for two weeks.

They want it all one way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Not nitpicking, but the military own the highest part of Doi Intanon near Chiang Mai where the observatory is  ?

I have no idea about Doi Intanon. I only post what I can prove or quote.

That said I searched and find that the Doi Chong national park used to be the Royal Thai Air Force telecommunications station and that it subsequently built the Great Holy Relics Pagodas. As fees are charged to the visiting public to the park, its various man-made attractions and conveniences, there seems a likelihood that the military owns and benefits finacially from the property (ie., vs the Thai Treasury).

2 years ago the Parliament required the military to submit all the commercial enterprises it directly or indirectly controlled and the military agreed; but to date it never responded. The Thai Parliament has no power to investigate the government, ie., through supoenas. 

18 hours ago, edwardflory said:

My 2¢:. What irks me is if you are married, wife owns the land, there is a house built on the land, she passes, you have 1 year to sell or loose the house and land.  It would be better if you were not forced to sell.  A / some type restriction on land size you could keep would work, say 2 Rai or land where the house sits and 1 Rai of land.  Win win all the way around and an insensitive to provide a house for wife - family if any.

yep ????, as the Poms say 'what a total shower' that rule is!

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Interesting that the OP used Australia as a positive example.

Ask any Australian over the age of 25 that does not have rich parents what they think their chances of ever owning a house are.

Should that not be 'under the age of 25'?

22 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

You get a new visa every year? An extension is relatively cheap. I did it for more than a decade pre-covid, and I think it was something like 1,900 baht per year. I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't a lot.

I need a multi entry. If I only needed a single entry it wouldn’t be so bad