Activists opposing proposal for entertainment venues being allowed to legally open later protest in Bangkok

webfact

Seems to me if they close at 4:00 a.m., then the number of accidents ought to actually decrease, as fewer poeple are out and about at that hour.  The ratio of single-vehicle and drunk-on-drunk accidents would increase but overall accidents would drop. 

They should close at 2 am ... Not only alcohol but also party drugs are being used and opening till 4 am will only increase the use of it and in combination with tiredness more deadly accidents, as we could read in statistics that most deadly accidents aoccur during the early morning hours.

But if they allow to oen till 4 am than the alcohol sales ban must be lifted too. It is no use to allow drinking till 4 am but selling during daytime prohibit to prevent accidents... and alcohol abuse..

Edited by ikke1959

1 hour ago, ChrisP24 said:

Seems to me if they close at 4:00 a.m., then the number of accidents ought to actually decrease, as fewer people are out and about at that hour.  The ratio of single-vehicle and drunk-on-drunk accidents would increase but overall accidents would drop. 

Yeah . . . no.
Read the post just above which defines your flawed logic.

People use the analogy that profits will increase with the increase of opening hours.. that's been proven time and time again to be false..

People can only drink so much and have a limited budget.

Open until 4am people just start later than usual, close at a respectable 2am people will start earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

People use the analogy that profits will increase with the increase of opening hours.. that's been proven time and time again to be false..

Open until 4am people just start later than usual, close at a respectable 2am people will start earlier.

If you're talking about a neighborhood pub with local clientele, you're undoubtedly right.

I'm not sure the calculation is the same for nightclubs catering to jet-lagged foreign tourists, who are possibly more interested in enjoying nightlife in an "exotic" country than simply consuming as much alcohol as possible. 

In reference to the concerns about drunk driving in the article, it's also certainly true that tourists are far, far less likely to be driving to bars than locals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Could you point us to the evidence on this? It seems counterintuitive that longer opening doesn't increase profits.. ????

9 hours ago, nahkit said:

First line of the op

"opposed to extending entertainment venues opening hours even in tourism only zones."

Entertainment venues include bars, pubs, and nightclubs not necessarily in tourist areas but simply entertainment in general regardless who the clientele are.  

It's now 1:30 am and I'm sitting in my condo in Central Pattaya hoping like every night that the crazy noise outside will stop by 2am so I can sleep. And this despite special windows with almost 3 cm glass and earplugs already in my ears. Perhaps pretty soon I'll have to wait at least until 4am. Totally insane...