Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Actually it would be cheaper for them to buy the ingredients and cook a healthy meal, but many are simply too lazy to do that.

So they buy ready meals off the shelf. Even then, there are ready meals that are healthy and the packaging clearly states fat, sodium content etc. but many are just not interested. Why buy fruit when you can buy crisps and chocolate?

All this talk of using food banks but the obesity levels in the UK are staggering. The same people also seem to be able to find the cash for bad tattoos as well.

Money for tats? Check

Money for fags? Check

Money for booze? Check

Money for iPhone? Check

Money for food? Blame the Tories for forcing me to get a job or use foodbanks.

Why not take time educate yourself on the the problem rather than trotting out gross pejorative generalizations?

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/health-inequalities-and-obesity

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Wrong.

Poverty reduces choice and the high calorie, high glycemic index, high sugar foods are cheaper, hence the choice available to people on low incomes. 

Hence 

The impact of deprivation on obesity rates is deeply concerning, with adults in the most deprived regions having almost double the prevalence of obesity compared with the least deprived (36% compared with 20%). The effect of deprivation upon childhood obesity is even more alarming. In 2018/19, the prevalence of obesity in children aged 10–11 was 27% in the most deprived areas and 13% in the least deprived areas. The gap in obesity prevalence between children from the most deprived and least deprived areas is stark and growing, with an increase from 8.5% in 2006/7 to 13.9% in 2018/19.”

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/health-inequalities-and-obesity

So obesity has nothing to do with Coke, Pepsi, KFC, McD, BK, pizza......?

Wrong.

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What on earth does ‘a decent working week’ mean?

I work 5x8 hour shifts. My wife works 4x12. Both in the Healthcare industry. An industry with 50000 vacancies. Vacancies that can be filled by anyone. No experience required. A job my wife got within 2 weeks of getting her Biometrics card.

We live in SE England. An expensive area for housing. We pay £1000 a month rent per month. We make sure we don't over spend when times are good. That way we have something to fall back on in times not so good.

Our daughter too. Works in Healthcare. Had the job for 2 years. Only been in UK 2 years 6 months. She works hard and just got promoted. In those 2 years she has paid cash for a £6k card, moved into her own rented flat and saved money to travel to Thailand to visit her grand parents.

If we can do it, anyone can.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So the poor are in the places I mentioned. Maybe they could save some money by cooking healthy food at home.

Last time I looked, fruit and veg were very good value compared to processed food.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Would Thatcher have pulled the UK out of the EU, or would she have fought for her beliefs inside the bloc? Both sides can make a case.

The only fact is that we will never know the answer.

She wouldn't have signed Maastricht if she had stayed PM - that means pulling out. 

46 minutes ago, bannork said:

The western Balkan nations and Ukraine want to join the EU. Even Le Pen's daughter and the right wing current Italian leader have no intention of leaving the world's largest free trading bloc.

If anything, Russia's invasion of Ukraine has reminded Europeans how essential it is they are united. Both NATO and the EU benefit from this.

The EU is no deterrent to Russia. NATO does not benefit from its members - it's actually the other way round.

1 hour ago, candide said:

In case there was any doubt (there wasn't), the Polish people certainly don't want to leave the EU after the invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

It seems that you are not well versed with history of relation of Poland - Ukraine population, especially the one not so long ago. (However being afraid of off-topic...)

Just to remind you: the large area around Ukrainian Lviv had belonged to Poland before WW2 and the town name was Lwow.  

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, nauseus said:

She wouldn't have signed Maastricht if she had stayed PM - that means pulling out. 

Not so.

If Thatcher had refused to sign, there would have been no Treaty; she could have vetoed it 

Of course, she would have been under enormous pressure to sign - but Thatcher would have wanted concessions for doing so. The likelihood is that the Maastricht Treaty would have looked  been delayed, had opt-outs for the UK and looked different to what it did.

Edited by RayC
Correction
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saanim said:

No, it was not about the history...

Are you trying to put words in my mouth now?

My (obvious) point was that, due to history, Poles have always perceived Russia as a threat, and even more after the invasion of Ukraine.

Your lame attempt at diverting attention towards Poland-Ukraine relation is irrelevant to that point.

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So the UK not being in EU don't have to spend more on defense.

Another lame attempt at changing the meaning of my post. I wrote "It's not only a defense issue, It's about not being under any type of influence from Russia".

In case it's not clear for you:

- defense issue => NATO,

- not being under economic and political influence from Russia => EU

Capice?

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, candide said:

Another lame attempt at changing the meaning of my post. I wrote "It's not only a defense issue, It's about not being under any type of influence from Russia".

In case it's not clear for you:

- defense issue => NATO,

- not being under economic and political influence from Russia => EU

Capice?

Your post is your opinion so what. Why would UK worry about Russia or be under any influence, what on earth could the UK do to Russia without completely being wiped off the world map, hey UK get out of NATO better. 

Edited by Kwasaki

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your post is your opinion so what. Why would UK worry about Russia or be under any influence, what on earth could the UK do to Russia without completely being wiped off the world map, hey UK get out of NATO better. 

Read my posts, I never commented about UK, I commented about Poland. It's you who seem to be obsessed by UK and introduce it in any of your replies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Let’s flip that.

What could Russia do to the UK?

Hence the UK is better off in NATO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Read my posts, I never commented about UK, I commented about Poland. It's you who seem to be obsessed by UK and introduce it in any of your replies.

Because i couldn't care less about Poland they messed up the UK building industry and UK guys as working as cheap labour. 

52 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Good for you.

But let’s not have any of this 50,000 vacancies in the NHS that anyone can do.

If you want folk to believe you its important to keep your claims believable.

Please show me where I said there were 50000 vacancies with NHS that anyone can do. Thanks.