What are some Important Differences between Scottish Humor and Irish Humor: With Examples, please…?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

Now that the Loy Krathong fireworks are almost at an end, and now that we are becoming bored again, here in Thailand, my thoughts have turned to the more mundane.

This is why I wish to finally broach a topic which has kept me wondering, for years.

Humor is something which, as far as we know, distinguishes us from lower-order creatures. I am not saying that some animals, other than homo Sapiens (Homo sapiens), are not able to appreciate humor, because we know that some animals do laugh, even though they mostly laugh at lowbrow humor.

Also, in the Human, we know that some humor is more self-deprecating, according to the specific culture one might examine; for example Jewish humor is often seemingly self-deprecating, although this is another topic altogether, and one might say that self-deprecating humor is a positive way of coping with the vagaries of life.

Well, anyway, I do not wish this to become a serious topic through over-examination of the reasons a series of words strung together might be funny, or not.  Remember, humor is cultural, and this is why some mistakenly say that Thai humor is not funny, and that other humor from a different culture might not be so very funny in Thailand. It’s just a cultural thing.

When replying to this topic, we should keep in mind that we are now considering the differences between Scottish Humor and Irish Humor, and nothing else.  And, when we reply to this topic, then we should provide examples to support our claims and intuitions.  And, third, we should not make dirty jokes, because this is not really what highbrow, or lowbrow, humor is about. Limericks are still acceptable, because this is about Irish humor, after all.

Let’s try to provide, more or less, examples of humor that will enlighten us and help us to pass these boring days, be these examples acerbic humor, or abstruse humor, or savory humor, or aesthetically pleasing humor, or even humor which is slightly titillating to the brain after a few moments of careful consideration.

Again, I cannot emphasize adequately enough the importance of staying on-topic, in this case.

The topic is the difference between Scottish Humor and Irish Humor, with examples.

For many years, I have been uplifted when I was down, just through the reading of Irish Humor, etc., and I want to know if Scottish Humor is as good as Irish Humor, and in what ways.

OK.  I have written only 406 words, up to the previous sentence.  Therefore, please do not tell me that I have written “too many words”, this time.

I am not sure about the relative readership between the number of guys from Scotland compared to the number of guys from Ireland on this forum. Maybe there is no causal relationship. But, I just think that the number of guys from both Scotland and Ireland, combined, is not enough for my liking.  Why?  Just because, I do enjoy highbrow humor.

Anyway, this is my topic.

Thank you, My Dear Friends.

Best regards to you, and yours,

Especially during this great celebration of Loy Krathong, 2022, 

GammaG

Please Note:  Sometimes I get tired of reading about big papayas in Pattaya, and I just thought that I would like to read something about a more interesting topic. For once, I would just like to read some intelligent humor on this great forum. Is this too much to ask?

Another Note:  From what little I know, both Scottish Humor and Irish Humor is mostly highbrow humor of good taste.

In my opinion, there must be a few good writers on this forum, well educated, who know a great deal more about Scottish Humor and Irish humor than do I.  Maybe they are just hiding their lights under their bushels?

Please kindly note that I am aware that this topic is most suitable as a Sunday-Brunch topic. 

I only posted this topic on this Saturday night because I worried that I might not be up at dawn, tomorrow, in time to upload it. 

Enjoy your Sunday brunches tomorrow!

What could be more sacred? 

Bon Appétit.... 

1 hour ago, Pmbkk said:

I understand Irish humour - I thought with Scottish humour they were so tight they wouldn't share the punchline ????

and they don't like to waste any. toilet paper its left out to dry for 2nd use so says my Uncle? 

Would it not be far better to steer clear of submitting trite and unsatisfying examples of humor involving clichés? 

Otherwise, then what is the point?

For example, clichés suggesting penuriousness are just so easy, and not funny.

Same with dirty jokes.

Dirty jokes are just cheap laughs, and completely unsatisfying.

Can't you do any better?

As an Irishman I made up this joke myself a few years ago after a vote in a UK referendum.

An Irishman, a Frenchman and a Scotsman walk into a bar.

Barman says: What are ye having

Irishman says: A pint of Guinness please

Frenchman say: I'll have a glass of wine.

Scotsman says: Can you hang on a few minutes, I'll go find an Englishman and ask him.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

As an Irishman I made up this joke myself a few years ago after a vote in a UK referendum.

An Irishman, a Frenchman and a Scotsman walk into a bar.

Barman says: What are ye having

Irishman says: A pint of Guinness please

Frenchman say: I'll have a glass of wine.

Scotsman says: Can you hang on a few minutes, I'll go find an Englishman and ask him.

Not another Brexit reference !!!!!!!!!!

Also, what is the difference between Scot, Scots, Scotch, and Scottish?

Keep it clean, because, somebody above mentioned Scot humor.

Scot humor, by changing just one vowel, could lead to another kind of humor which is definitely not suitable for this Topic.

You know what, guys?

The proper use of words referring to Scotland, and things of Scotland, are not so easy to understand for us.

I am always confused.

Also, I am always afraid of misspeaking.

Some guys have called me an Anglophile, but I don't think so, because...

I grew up on books written by good authors born in countries where people were native-English speakers.

But this does not mean that I read native-English authors who were, exclusively, born in England.

The entire English language, as it is spoken in the United Kingdom is a very blessed thing.

When I think of the United Kingdom, I think of places such as England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.  And, for purposes of humor, as well as great English writing, I include the Republic of Ireland.

I care not about politics, but only the English language as it should be spoken and written.

Also, I care very much about the good humor that can only be found in this area.

Humor is a cultural thing.

Some might not appreciate the humor of this general area.

Unless one is used to reading a lot of books, then it is understandable that one might not.

Check out STILL GAME, Starring: Ford Kiernan, Greg Hemphill, ran for 9 seasons, now available on Netflix. Scottish humor...even though a bit dumbed down from the theatrical version since the Scottish language in the theatre was only understood by Scotts! Good stuff, nevertheless!

Some of the best humor, and the most satisfying humor, is humor that requires one to devote a bit of effort in order to fully appreciate it;, and jokes are not so readily apparent at first glance. 

In this sense, I think that humor originating from in and around the geographical area of Scotland and Ireland is the best in the world.

However, humor, like food, is just a matter of taste, and should not be judged, after all.

27 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Wouldn't know because I can't understand a word they are saying.

I feel for you. 

This is why I read books, mostly. 

In the written form, in books, in most cases, the editor will use footnotes, annotations and citations to help the normal reader better appreciate the Scott's and Irishman's humor. 

Please don't misunderstand me. Although I don't always get the humor, at first, I always end up loving it. 

Anything worth its salt is worth the effort. 

You might even consider this Topic to be the culmination of all my fine thoughts about my best friends on Thaivisa. 

Please just do not mistake my usual facetiousness for my seriousness in this case. 

One thing I know. 

There is not much more serious than humor. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Scottish humor - 1949 movie Whisky galore is a good example. Distrusting, passionate, conflicted, slow to trust you but then a lot of fun. A bit pessimistic. Trainspotting good example. 

Irish humour - a bit more open, fun, dry, focused, and sometimes a bit of a serious tone. 

That's my 2 cents as an Australian who saw it often through english eyes e.g. Ealing studios for Whisky Galore. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

On 11/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Scottish humor - 1949 movie Whisky galore is a good example. Distrusting, passionate, conflicted, slow to trust you but then a lot of fun. A bit pessimistic. Trainspotting good example. 

Irish humour - a bit more open, fun, dry, focused, and sometimes a bit of a serious tone. 

That's my 2 cents as an Australian who saw it often through english eyes e.g. Ealing studios for Whisky Galore. 

I found the 1949 Whiskey Galore DVD in an op shop. Now I'll have to make the effort to watch it. The later version wasn't very good IMO.

Shame what happened to the British film industry. Loved the sense of humour in British films of my childhood and early adulthood.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Back in the day I was passing through Hong Kong and I stopped for a beer in what was once my local.

I got chatting to the chap next to me and he says:

"Whear yew from?"

"Scotland"
"Nawyernut.  Yerfrim Ireland"

"Listen, pal.  You're from Belfast, and you ought to know the difference, but I'm telling you, I'm from Scotland"

I don't recall the rest of the conversation, but there was nothing requiring medical treatment, and I don't associate it with a missed flight, so it must have been bland.  Bland enough.

SC 

• Thanks 1