Replace Tile Roof

livram

My red tile roof is 30 years old and is need of replacing. It doesn't leak yet but the tiles are really brittle. I think I want to go with metal roof. Can the new metal roof be installed on top of the old tiles without removing them. Current tiles are fastened onto metal supports.

Also can anyone recommend a metal roof brand seller/installer in the Korat/Khamthaleso area?

If by metal you mean corrogated iron then you will 100% have to remove the ugly old tiles. Can we assume theres wooden rafters/ beams under the current tiled room supporting it? If so then the new corrogated iron roof will be screwed into that. But first you should lay the insulation sheeting down and then put the iron on top. Must use the insulation. Years ago I didnt do it and had mouldy ceilings a few yrs later. Fixed it by laying the thick insulation in the ceiling above the gypsum. 

• Like 1

If you are going to live below the tin roof, look out for a job lot of ear plugs.

If you can afford it look at upvc systems.

We used a company called  HoloRoof a few years ago but now prices are much lower due to an influx of similar from China

Edited by PFMills

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would say no, because the metal roof has to be fixed to something, which should not be brittle tiles.

I thought that the metal sheets would be screwed thru the present tiles and into the metal supports. There are no wood beams and insulation is already laid on top of the ceiling tiles.

• Thumbs Up 1

BlueScope insulated roofs.   Gmap saying there's one 2 hrs east of you, though would think DIY shop (Global, etc) would offer.   Excellent stuff, and using on present and previous house.

The only one I would use in the future.  I think ours is the ColorBond, with thickest insulation (3 versions).  Do NOT get the thinnest.

https://www.nsbluescope.com/th/our-brands/colorbond-steel/

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, livram said:

I thought that the metal sheets would be screwed thru the present tiles and into the metal supports. There are no wood beams and insulation is already laid on top of the ceiling tiles.

While it may be possible to do a bodge job like that it isn’t going to be easy as you won’t have the exact location of the beams and purlins. Also you won’t be able to put the silver foil radiant barrier, which is the single cheapest and most effective component of a roofing system.

You certainly can, probably should, add silver faced foil to the metal sheeting but by installing it directly onto tile you reduce its effectiveness.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, livram said:

You could do that, but my guess would be you would have a very noisy roof due to expansion and contraction of the metal. Less noise when it rains.

Going through the tiles also means longer screws, and a bit of hit and miss unless you are doing it yourself.

I'm not sure what it would do in terms of corrosion, scratching a galvanized or a zinc-aluminium coating by contact with rough cement tiles might do nothing, or it could be catastrophic.

@livram

You would have to remove the old tile.

For the roof material go with the Bluescope brand of the color coated rolled metal.

You can opt for the either grade:

Colorbond - more expensive, thicker coating, I think 30 year warranty

Zachs - less expensive, thinner coating, 10 year warranty

Don't settle with the cheaper Chinese or Korean brands of metal, go for the best stuff - the difference in price is not all that great.

But if you're on a real tight budget then those should be OK also.

Make sure to get PU insulation.

Most of the the roller-forming shops that sell those roofs have machines that add  the insulation layer during the production process.

25mm of PU insulation is sufficient - it's really great, but the thicker layer would be even better.

Bluescope shops are franchises.

Just about every sizeable city has one.

I bet you've seen this logo before.

logo.PNG

Edited by unheard

We have 2 buildings 225 sq my each.

1 is Bangkok made colorbond sandwich with 50mm insulation.

1 is plain Bangkok made colorbond.

When it is pissing down the uninsulated building is too loud for taking.

The insulated building is comfortably muffled.

Temperature sensors report the uninsulated room temperature is-1.5 * hotter of a day, same night temperatures in both.

We get cold nights in winter and the uninsulated roof condensates, dripping from the beams.

First quote we got was for Oz colorbond panels made to size.

Went with the Bangkok made panels which were half the price.

Our steel guys building the house had it finished in 2 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAF666 said:

First quote we got was for Oz colorbond panels made to size.

Went with the Bangkok made panels which were half the price.

Can you clarify your terminology?

It's a little confusing.

"Oz Colorbond" as in Made in Australia?

"Bangkok made" as in Colorbond sourced from Thailand or you meant other non Bluescope branded material?

Just to expand on my understanding.

Bluescope is the Australia based brand.

It has several coating plants in Thailand, also in other countries.

All of the Bluescope branded color coated metal product for sale in Thailand is produced locally.

We've had a rolled metal roof for just shy of 20 years.  Bluescope wasn't availabe at that time in Udon, so we opted for a no-name with the thin, glued on insulation.  We've had no problems with the roof/insulation.  

One major drawback (IMO) of the tile roofs is their heat retention after the sun goes down.  One benefit of the metal roof is there's no heat retention after sunset.  But if you keep the tile underneath, you'd retain the heat.

There are lots of naysayers about noise......but you can beat the noise with some insulation directly on the roof, and added insulation on the ceiling.  With that, you'll save mounds on your AC bills and won't be bothered by the noise of the rain.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, unheard said:

It's a little confusing.

"Bangkok made" as in Colorbond sourced from Thailand or you meant other non Bluescope branded material?

All of the Bluescope branded color coated metal product for sale in Thailand is produced locally.

The Oz branded Colorbond is the genuine article .

The Thai steel branded panels are made in Bangkok and widely distributed. 
Everybody seems to refer to it as colorbond, even the same colours, but they are not passing it off as genuine.

2 hours ago, unheard said:

It's a little confusing.

I think you will find that there is only 1 coating plant in Thailand in Rayong they produce a variety of materials. There are several/many roll-forming plants but as far as I can see all roll material is produced in Rayong. There are even mobile roll-forming processors for those who need longer lengths. 

we even visited one of the roll-forming plants

C5C085D5-4EA9-472C-997B-52F9D626CAFA.thumb.jpeg.d09bac2168bb93003bfb73aa8137726f.jpeg

FWIW the BLUESCOPE Zacs® material is a lower specification product with a shorter guarantee, ⅓ less than the standard BLUESCOPE 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I think you will find that there is only 1 coating plant in Thailand in Rayong they produce a variety of materials. There are several/many roll-forming plants but as far as I can see all roll material is produced in Rayong. There are even mobile roll-forming processors for those who need longer lengths. 

we even visited one of the roll-forming plants

C5C085D5-4EA9-472C-997B-52F9D626CAFA.thumb.jpeg.d09bac2168bb93003bfb73aa8137726f.jpeg

FWIW the BLUESCOPE Zacs® material is a lower specification product with a shorter guarantee, ⅓ less than the standard BLUESCOPE 

We are looking for a new roof and are thinking about steel sheet roof,we have a local firm he buys in the rolls of coloured tin ,the guy said China,and forms the sheets himself ,he has various thicknesses  ,the insulated sheets ,I think he uses foam they are 300baht/meter run,plain ones are I think 50baht/meter run.

When the wife said she would like a metal roof ,the first thing I said was the noise of the rain ,we have small holding with some cattle the cattle sheds ,with their tin sheets any rain .......say no more,but the roofing guy and the wife said, as we have a tile suspended celling in the house the noise should be minimal ,jury is out on that one.

One thing, is condensation a big problem with the plain sheet roof?

I can see the problem with condensation 

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

he buys in the rolls of coloured tin ,the guy said China,and forms the sheets himself ,he has various thicknesses  ,the insulated sheets ,I think he uses foam they are 300baht/meter run,plain ones are I think 50baht/meter run.

It is not colorbond if the material comes from China as the majority of Thai material-is manufactured in Thailand.

colorbond will be 300 Baht per metre plain plus extra for insulation

One thing, is condensation a big problem with the plain sheet roof?

We have never had a problem.

but the roofing guy and the wife said, as we have a tile suspended celling in the house the noise should be minimal ,jury is out on that one.

You can insulate enough for the sound to be minimal, you probably don’t have enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is not colorbond if the material comes from China as the majority of Thai material-is manufactured in Thailand.

colorbond will be 300 Baht per metre plain plus extra for insulation

We have never had a problem.

You can insulate enough for the sound to be minimal, you probably don’t have enough.

Mostly agree with the above, minus a small correction.

Colorbond is the marketing name of one of the grades of the product.

The name of the brand is Bluescope, the Australian company that has a huge metal coating plant in Thailand.

As to the Chinese metal.

Look for Bluescope first.

Bluescope  has many shops located throughout Thailand (franchises).

They produce roller formed roof sheets, sold with or without insulation.

Bluescope competes with the China and Korea derived coated metal, that is normally sold at discount.

Bluescope is considered to be the superior product, especially its Colorbond grade.

It also sells a cheaper grade of coated metal, called Zacs, which is still a very good product.

It has thinner coating protection compared to Colorbond and shorter warranty.

The PU insulation does make a huge difference, especially in its thicker forms.

The standard thickness is 25mm. Some shops offer thicker options.

PU has really good insulating qualities - no condensation to form.

It also dampens noise.

4 hours ago, unheard said:

Mostly agree with the above, minus a small correction.

Colorbond is the marketing name of one of the grades of the product.

The name of the brand is Bluescope, the Australian company that has a huge metal coating plant in Thailand.

There is no actual correction in the above post just added information.

However if you want to be really accurate the rollforming company is LYSAGHT with Colorbond being the primary range of products produced with a 30 year guarantee Colorbond ZACS is the one of the cheaper ones with a 10 year guaranteed life and 5 year colour guarantee.

It is not clear (but likely) that the steel used in the coating plant in Rayong is produced there. The Thai company is NS BlueScope that is a joint venture between Nippon Steel and BlueScope

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is not clear (but likely) that the steel used in the coating plant in Rayong is produced there.

Bluescope doesn't produce steel in Rayong.

The steel is being imported from elsewhere, mainly Australia, Japan and China.

"BlueScope Steel's Rayong facility operates a pickle line, cold mill, metallic coating lines, paint line and recoil line.

BlueScope Lysaght was founded in 1988 to manufacture quality coated steel building products at Rangsit in Pathumthani Province."

https://www.bluescope.com/about-us/where-we-are/thailand/

Edited by unheard