Proposal to extend nightspot closing hours rescheduled to end of November

snoop1130

bars3-696x522.jpg

A proposal to extend the legal closing hours for nightlife venues in tourist areas from 2 AM to 4 AM has been rescheduled for consideration by the Cabinet, as more areas have requested the extension, according to Minister of Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakarn.

The minister said the proposal, which was originally supposed to be considered by the Cabinet tomorrow, November 15th, has been put off to November 29th because more areas such as Songkhla and Kanchanaburi provinces also want the legal closing hour extensions.

The eight original pilot areas include Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok. Minister Pipat stated he needs to consider the areas that requested the extension later too, thus the proposal will not enter the Cabinet’s deliberation until at least November 29th.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/14/proposal-to-extend-nightspot-closing-hours-to-4-am-rescheduled-to-end-of-november-for-thai-cabinets-consideration/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lkn said:

“The eight original pilot areas include […] Chiang Mai”

From 2 AM to 4 AM in Chiang Mai? Where? Pretty much everything closes at midnight. At least officially, and enforced in the tourist areas.

I thought we were discussing tourist towns where there is fun and entertainment......CM closes at midnight for 24 hours!

• Like 2

From the main article a statement from the minister:

"He added by extending the nightspots’ legal closing time by only 3-4 hours, the economy in the areas will improve by over 30-40%." 

Does he really believe this... ? Anyway, it seems to be extremely important to him to support these kind of businesses. Why for instance does he not support that the tourists get toilets, changing rooms and showers on the main beaches? The most basic things quality tourists would expect.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

as more areas have requested the extension, according to Minister of Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakarn.

I hope his trousers are fire retardant.

Edited by hotchilli

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

From the main article a statement from the minister:

"He added by extending the nightspots’ legal closing time by only 3-4 hours, the economy in the areas will improve by over 30-40%." 

Does he really believe this... ? Anyway, it seems to be extremely important to him to support these kind of businesses. Why for instance does he not support that the tourists get toilets, changing rooms and showers on the main beaches? The most basic things quality tourists would expect.

And Trash bins....I never seen a trash bin in Thailand...for 7 years...????????????

• Thumbs Up 2

The minister says in the main article: He added by extending the nightspots’ legal closing time by only 3-4 hours, the economy in the areas will improve by over 30-40%.

I didn't know that all the quality tourists in the 8 designated areas were attending the late nightlife – to be honest, I had a different impression of what quality tourists are – but maybe the quality tourists are no longer the main target...:whistling:

More seriously, many guests already leave the nightlife between 1 am and 2 am where I live, so I'm not convinced that extending opening hours until early morning might make that huge financial difference in general; however, a few night clubs and after-party pubs will of course benefit from it and might save the "fee" they already pays for late opening...????

Another point is that it's difficult to see the extended opening hours – and use of more electricity for light and music, and aircon some places – works well together with the request of saving power due to the higher LNG-costs; saying this I shall add that I'm in favor of letting tourists enjoy a late night life, including myself...????