Just now, soi3eddie said:

Where was it said that Wise card is good for ATM usage? Wise's terms clearly set out costs involved in using their card. ATM in Thailand would have stated ATM fee before proceeding with transaction.

Their terms arent much good. All these banks online or traditional are just a rip off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why ain't you using ING Orange Everyday MasterCard? Subject to a few easy to meet requirements they will rebate ATM fees AND they waive the usual 3% currency conversion fee. 

https://campaigns.ing.com.au/cards

Sounds good, but how do ING's currency exchange rates compare to Wise? Any link to their (ING's) daily FX rate?

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

That looks better thanks

There's also the Charles Schwab debit card. They refund your atm fees at the beginning of each month. It's pretty easy and free to transfer money to your CS account from an external US bank account. You don't have to hold any stocks or bonds with them to use it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

There's also the Charles Schwab debit card. They refund your atm fees at the beginning of each month. It's pretty easy and free to transfer money to your CS account from an external US bank account. You don't have to hold any stocks or bonds with them to use it.

Thats American

Wise seems to have internal processing problems at the moment.

Many times now I have experienced delays from them.

Yesterday big delays in processing transfer from a UK bank account to my Wise UK Bank account.

Are they really technical problems?  Or are they holding onto the dosh to make money?

12 minutes ago, sheldoncollier said:

Thanks for letting us know. Wise works great when going to the UK, Switzerland and Norway. I didn't know it wouldn't work as a local card in Thailand. That's unfortunate.

2 free withdrawals per month up to A$350 only, after 1.75% fee plus you pay 220 baht Thai fee everytime.

So not good except for online hotel bookings (rate is ok) or transfers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

Yesterday big delays in processing transfer from a UK bank account to my Wise UK Bank account.

Are they really technical problems?  Or are they holding onto the dosh to make money?

Been using them for over 6 month and never had a problem and transfer every month from UK Bank to Swift Account then to Thai Bank.  They use one of the more favourable exchange rates I know of.  By the way ATM fees are charged by the Bank who owns the ATM, not Wise.

2 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Been using them for over 6 month and never had a problem and transfer every month from UK Bank to Swift Account then to Thai Bank.  They use one of the more favourable exchange rates I know of.  By the way ATM fees are charged by the Bank who owns the ATM, not Wise.

Only the 220 baht fee is

The other fee is charged by Wise

2 fees

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Yes, unusually I had an issue with a couple of transfers yesterday. These were UK bank to Wise transfers which didn't show as being received by Wise until about 4am Thai time today. I had sent them early Monday from my UK bank but Wise were showing 'money not received' all day. A bit unfortunate given that the rate dropped by about Bt0.65 in the meantime.

Was unsure if issue was with my UK bank or Wise, but seems to have been a Wise issue. No direct notification from Wise of any reason but their website did have a notice of possible delays when I looked at their 'contact' page.

Oh well, no big deal and having made over 400 transactions with them over the years I can live with the odd glitch or two.

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

Sounds good, but how do ING's currency exchange rates compare to Wise? Any link to their (ING's) daily FX rate?

Good point. it's actually a Visa debit card not a MasteCard so it'll use the Visa retail rate. For the life of me I can't remember where to look that up.

I'm retired here now so I don't use the card anymore. But when I was travelling before I used the card mostly as a backup to my 28 Degrees MasterCard credit card, which is "fee-free" except for ATM pulls. 

The ING card was useful if you found yourself in a situation where you need only a small amount of cash, say 5k for your last couple of days, or if you don't want to pull large amounts at a single time. 

I see they've restricted the ATM fee rebate to 5 per month but that's still a decent number. Imho this card is worth having in your wallet and ING issue them in Australia for free and there's no annual fee to worry about. 

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Good point. it's actually a Visa debit card not a MasteCard so it'll use the Visa retail rate. For the life of me I can't remember where to look that up.

I'm retired here now so I don't use the card anymore. But when I was travelling before I used the card mostly as a backup to my 28 Degrees MasterCard credit card, which is "fee-free" except for ATM pulls. 

The ING card was useful if you found yourself in a situation where you need only a small amount of cash, say 5k for your last couple of days, or if you don't want to pull large amounts at a single time. 

I see they've restricted the ATM fee rebate to 5 per month but that's still a decent number. Imho this card is worth having in your wallet and ING issue them in Australia for free and there's no annual fee to worry about. 

Someone on reddit said lower but after fees they beat the others. 380 baht in fees is a lot.

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Someone on reddit said lower but after fees they beat the others. 380 baht in fees is a lot.

380 baht in fees is robbery, plain and simple. But most Aussies I spoke to on the subject just couldn't be stuffed getting the 28 Degrees MC or the ING Orange. They prefer to use their Qantas travel card or those p.o.s. CommBank travel cards. Or worse, their standard bank-issued debit card which ends up costing them about 20 bucks for an ATM pull.

27 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Wise transfers sometimes take 10 secs, sometimes 40 minutes.

If, as I do, you need it for Immigration purposes, it can take until the next day.

If you really want an instant transfer, send it the day before!  555

29 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Mr Google says that M Card can be 0.1 - 0.7 % better than Visa, depending on the actual currencies being converted. 

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Wish i had gbp

Why, it's down again!

Surely WISE will charge you a fee to convert ANY currency into another, it's called Business. I pay £6.54 to convert £600 ( = 1.1%) into about THB 25000. Not bad I say.

Edited by KannikaP