Thailand and Indonesia could soon become home for some lucky Aussies

webfact

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

By the way, why is it called 'long black' (for black coffee)? What is 'long' about it?

From the internet:

"In its simplest form, an espresso is essentially a strong black coffee that has been brewed under intense pressure."

That produces a small amount of liquid. Aussies call it a Short Black, I guess because "espresso" is too foreign.  That's too strong for a lot of people so just add some hot water and hey presto, you get a Long Black.

Italians consider this a mortal sin and they (allegedly) don't drink it over there. If you want a long black in Italy you ask for an Americano ????

Edited by Lemsta69

47 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It's all just watered down espresso, right? The infamous Americano for instance.

There's nothing wrong with adding hot water to an espresso to make it more palatable. Some folk just can't handle the strong hit of a single shot. It took me a very long time to get used to it. 

But I don't think that's why Starbucks is considered to be sub-par even though they say they use high quality coffee. I think it's just that their particular blend and way of making the coffee doesn't suit everyone's palate. 

My only experience with Starbucks was a negative one. It was at a Vons in San Diego when I was on vacay visiting a friend. I ordered an espresso to drink at the store and when he finally brought it over it was in a standard-sized takeaway cup not the miniature ceramic cup as expected. 

No glass of water either and no biscotti. The coffee itself wasn't to my taste but it was so long ago that I don't recall exactly why. 

It was such a depressing experience that I'll never go back to a Starbucks again unless they give me free coffee to sample AND I don't have to wait in line behind all the dummies ordering their stupid concoctions. 

I'm not against such concoctions but I'm not going to be held up by them. Put in an Express Lane and maybe I'll think about it. I mean, that's why they call it "expresso" isn't it? ????

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

From the internet:

"In its simplest form, an espresso is essentially a strong black coffee that has been brewed under intense pressure."

That produces a small amount of liquid. Aussies call it a Short Black, I guess because "espresso" is too foreign.  That's too strong for a lot of people so just add some hot water and hey presto, you get a Long Black.

Italians consider this a mortal sin and they (allegedly) don't drink it over there. If you want a long black in Italy you ask for an Americano ????

Yet their pizzas have 2 ingredients ie no flavour!

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

There's nothing wrong with adding hot water to an espresso to make it more palatable. Some folk just can't handle the strong hit of a single shot. It took me a very long time to get used to it. 

But I don't think that's why Starbucks is considered to be sub-par even though they say they use high quality coffee. I think it's just that their particular blend and way of making the coffee doesn't suit everyone's palate. 

My only experience with Starbucks was a negative one. It was at a Vons in San Diego when I was on vacay visiting a friend. I ordered an espresso to drink at the store and when he finally brought it over it was in a standard-sized takeaway cup not the miniature ceramic cup as expected. 

No glass of water either and no biscotti. The coffee itself wasn't to my taste but it was so long ago that I don't recall exactly why. 

It was such a depressing experience that I'll never go back to a Starbucks again unless they give me free coffee to sample AND I don't have to wait in line behind all the dummies ordering their stupid concoctions. 

I'm not against such concoctions but I'm not going to be held up by them. Put in an Express Lane and maybe I'll think about it. I mean, that's why they call it "expresso" isn't it? ????

If you want a weaker cup, just use less grounds OR a different bean/roast. Watering down speaks for itself. Would you water down a single malt, a great wine, a 100 year old brandy because they were too strong? Yeah, why not, but not on an everyday basis on an industrial scale.

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

If you want a weaker cup, just use less grounds OR a different bean/roast. Watering down speaks for itself. Would you water down a single malt, a great wine, a 100 year old brandy because they were too strong? Yeah, why not, but not on an everyday basis on an industrial scale.

We could spend hours debating this but let's just stick to the topic eh? Which is ... where does Rick Astley get his $2 flatty whiteys from? ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1