Do you believe that Super Yachts should be impounded? Or, should they be relegated to roaming the high seas, like Ghost Ships? Forever, and ever....

GammaGlobulin

On 11/16/2022 at 4:05 PM, Srikcir said:

Superyacht Russian sanctioned oligarch owned Cloudbreak spent anchored the week near Koh Samui in July 2022. Clearly anchored Thailand territorial waters.

"Clearly anchored Thailand territorial waters".

And why not?  Thailand has not imposed any sanctions on any Russians (neither have many other countries) and it is not bound by other countries sanctions in any way.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:11 AM, thaibeachlovers said:
On 11/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, Photoguy21 said:

Why would you consider such restrictions as stated are appropriate?

Restrictions?

Up to me there would be no billionaires ergo no super yachts.

Good grief.  You'd be happy to have your assets, whatever they are, restricted also, presumably, or are you a hypocrite?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In the recently reported incidents into Poland, those rockets were not Russian, they were Ukrainian. 

This is the result of the Fog of War. 

Nobody knows what's happening. 

Civilians get injured, and nobody claims responsibility for misguided guided missiles. 

This is why all soldiers should do like the Good Soldier Schweik. 

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In the recently reported incidents into Poland, those rockets were not Russian, they were Ukrainian. 

Yes. 

Correct. 

(But still, this confusion is reminiscent of what McNamara mentioned in the documentary, Fog of War.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good grief.  You'd be happy to have your assets, whatever they are, restricted also, presumably, or are you a hypocrite?

By having a super yacht that is the result? Really? If they have the money and the inclination why shouldnt they have them? Where they get the money from is a totally different issue.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, Lacessit said:

If you are suggesting said oligarchs should get a free pass on their obscene wealth, gained by swindling ordinary Russians, it says a lot about your own moral compass and biases.

I don't need a war to wish all those uber wealthy people lost everything to the last cent, penny or rouble.

I don't care which country they live in , IMO they are an obscenity in a world full of the downtrodden poor. However, in a world obsessed with greed, I suspect many would like to be them.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:10 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No one has to back up their opinion.    Opinions are subjective views or judgments formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Surely an opinion has to be backed by something, or it's just fantasy? I have many opinions on many different subjects, but every opinion is based on something that I can describe.

The post I responded to was meaningless as it didn't indicate what it was referring to, ergo the statement that it was ridiculous was meaningless.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 11/20/2022 at 4:03 PM, KhunLA said:

BUT BUT BUT ... DON'T DEFLECT

IMHO ... US/UK/NATO are the true terrorist in the world.  With every regime change and civil war that they start.  Millions die.

Repeated over & over;  Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghan, Vietnam, Korea, more than a few South & Central American countries & Africa.

Surely you're not that ignorant, or I would hope not.

Errrr, they didn't start Vietnam or Korea. That was the countries to the north of them.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:03 PM, KhunLA said:

BUT BUT BUT ... DON'T DEFLECT

IMHO ... US/UK/NATO are the true terrorist in the world.  With every regime change and civil war that they start.  Millions die.

Repeated over & over;  Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghan, Vietnam, Korea, more than a few South & Central American countries & Africa.

Surely you're not that ignorant, or I would hope not.

Errrr, they didn't start Vietnam or Korea. That was the countries to the north of them.

I doubt if too many will shed tears for the oligarchs who lost their super yachts. How many actually earned their fortunes? Putin, Russia and the oligarchs have re-defined corruption and ill gotten wealth. 

Even the Russians I speak with agree there are no legitimate billionaires in Russia. 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt if too many will shed tears for the oligarchs who lost their super yachts. How many actually earned their fortunes? Putin, Russia and the oligarchs have re-defined corruption and ill gotten wealth. 

Even the Russians I speak with agree there are no legitimate billionaires in Russia. 

IMO that applies to all billionaires, and probably a great many millionaires as well, wherever they live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:06 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

(neither have many other countries)

Untrue - a very large majority of UN member countries voted for sanctions.

Thailand said it wants to remain 'neutral' likely because it needs (in my words) Ukraine 'blood money' from Russia for tourism and Russian oil.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:
On 11/20/2022 at 11:06 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

(neither have many other countries)

Untrue - a very large majority of UN member countries voted for sanctions.

Unfortunately for you, my comment was accurate, many countries have not imposed sanctions on Russia/Russians.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unfortunately for you, my comment was accurate, many countries have not imposed sanctions on Russia/Russians.

Correct. Always amazes me when some posters think Thailand is obliged to vote along the same lines as western countries, despite not being a western country.

Thailand isn't obliged to do anything based on the current western political  fad issue of concern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Correct. Always amazes me when some posters think Thailand is obliged to vote along the same lines as western countries, despite not being a western country.

Thailand isn't obliged to do anything based on the current western political  fad issue of concern.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine and countless war crimes for which the yachts are sanctioned is a "fad" now?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

What would they do with the impounded yachts?

I'd prefer they impose a 1000% super tax on super yacht berthing fees.

That makes more sense.  This is a "Be very careful what you wish for" situation.

Even if these yachts turn out to be "quayside queens" basic maintenance to them can easily run three to five million US dollars per year..  That's mostly just to keep them afloat and doesn't even cover the cost of restocking the caviar.

Given Thailands international reputation for continuous, exhaustive, attention to detail over an extended time frame .......  What could possibly go wrong???

• Like 1