Tourism booming in Koh Chang - Thais head north but foreigners make for rosy outlook into 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported from the holiday island of Koh Chang in Trat where they said that 90% of hotel rooms had been booked out through November. 

Local tourism officials said that most of the tourists were foreigners especially Europeans. 

Tourism was expected to go up and up well into the New Year, said Saraphon Prasatsin of the Trat Hoteliers' Association. 

image.jpeg

He noted that Thais were heading north for their holidays but they were not the target group. That belongs to foreigners on Koh Chang.

Though he noted they were not staying long term as before. They were booking for one to two weeks.

image.jpeg

The island is receiving a timely boost to tourism due to the APEC summit in Bangkok that has meant three extra days off creating a 5 day break until Sunday. 

Sakkhit Mungkarn of the Tourism Business Association of Trat said that only 10% of rooms were left in Koh Chang in November. 

image.jpeg

He called the island safe and beautiful - after the pandemic natural resources have recovered and the parkland was gorgeous. 

In addition there are events organized this month such as a Bikini Run, Seafood Festival and beauty pageant Miss Grand Trat is taking place in the province. 

image.jpeg

The coffers of the province are being further swelled by Cambodian tourists who are flooding over the recently opened border on shopping trips to malls in the area. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

Why is Koh Chang emerging into a new hot spot for foreigners?

Thai media reported that the holiday island of Koh Chang in Trat has gone through somewhat of a boom in November with International holiday makers responsible rather than previously local Thais for the increased traffic.

As International arrivals slowly recover it would appear that Koh Chang could emerge as one of the winners post- Covid, but ASEAN NOW asks the question as to why?

For many years islands like Phuket or Samui have historically attracted the lion share of Western visitors wanting a beach holiday, but now it seems the previously more unfashionable Koh Chang is eating into that market share.

image.png

More foreigners are discovering Koh Chang post-pandemic

Koh Chang is one of the largest Thai islands in the Gulf of Thailand and contains dense, steep jungle. It is located along the Eastern Seaboard near the Cambodian border.

Tourism growth is fueled by promotion and good marketing and regions like Phuket have historically been very good at this. It now appears, however, that Koh Chang is ready to take on the big boys and this is being helped by local operators on the island.

Sakkhit Mungkarn of the Tourism Business Association of Trat said the island is not only safe but beautiful and that after the pandemic natural resources have recovered and the parkland was more gorgeous than ever.

In addition there are events organized this month such as a Bikini Run, Seafood Festival and beauty pageant Miss Grand Trat is taking place in the province.

Development in the island also helped to attract Western tourists. In particular the Blue Haven Bay destination, near the ferry pier, has been attracting many new visitors to the island due to adding new activities from a Beach Gym, Sauna to an outside Cinema screen to its location - Adding already to its 2km sandy beach, marina and golf course.  It is such development that is starting to raise awareness to just how much there is now to do on Koh Chang.

image.png

Blue Haven Bay in Koh Chang

“Our feedback was both Thais and Westerners wanted more things to do when on a beach vacation and since we have added more exciting activities we have seen an uptick in visitors” reported Danilo Becker, Blue Haven Bay Hospitality General Manager.

--2022-11-16

I was living in KC ten years ago. Until came to Chiang Mai. The burning season in north make me come back to the island for a couple of months, but reading the OP, I’m thinking to choose this year another one quiet beach.

• Thumbs Up 2

Last Christmas/New Year Koh Chang was declared a special zone with less restrictions. You coudn't get on the ferry across without a vaccination certificate.

We went for New Year and I thought the ambiance on the beach far better than I was used to seeing at Pattaya. The island was mobbed and many may have spread the word.

I booked again a few months ago for this year and it was difficult then to get a room near White Sands beach.

• Like 1

just come back from a last minute break, it looked busy to me but not crowded out, lots of 'backpacking' looking people about, ferry was full for both crossing, booked sunday for mon/tues nights for 3 rooms most places had vacancies. settled on 'the splash' good price, good rooms, good buffet breakfast,  booked direct on web.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Last Christmas/New Year Koh Chang was declared a special zone with less restrictions. You coudn't get on the ferry across without a vaccination certificate.

We went for New Year and I thought the ambiance on the beach far better than I was used to seeing at Pattaya. The island was mobbed and many may have spread the word.

I booked again a few months ago for this year and it was difficult then to get a room near White Sands beach.

And every youtuber has been vlogging it to death for the last 2 years …. stunning group of islands though

Koh Chang is probably the best choice in November when the weather is good but it's still rainy season down south. Also good if you're bringing a large family in the car and the cost of so many flight tickets to the south would be too expensive. But in every other way it's just totally inferior to the islands down south. I did the full circuit of Koh Chang and it doesn't have a beach that comes close to the spectacular views you get in Phi Phi, Railay or even Lamai.

Edited by edwardandtubs