Visa Exemption Extension. Nov 2022

OP , Your post is so naive it's hard to know where to start. 

There is a maximum 2 visa exempt entries via land per calendar year.

You will be able to do visa exempt entry via land in 2023.

Each entry by visa exempt or eg tourist visa can be extended ONCE per entry by 30 days. 

There is a maximum number of tourist entries from particular same consulate. 

Two is common. 

Well Thanks for putting me straight. I suppose I’ve just been softened up by these Covid extensions being so easy. I’ve stayed here since 1st February 2021 and entered on a 45visa exemption so haven’t done too bad. I was just wrongly positive that you could extend a visa exemption 2 or 3 times in succession. Don’t know what I was thinking. They must have thought I was crazy in the immigration office when I said could they extend an extension ????

Edited by Stevey
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Yeah they pretty much just stated the official rules; leaving the friendliness aspect aside there's nothing wrong with that..

The Friendliness part came in when yesterday, day before my visa exemption 45days at the NongKhai -Lao border expired I rocked up to an empty immigration and produced my particulars along with, as I have done on every occasion in 4 years, my girlfriends house book and ID card. At this new new people who looked like they had just left Uni got involved and denied me my extension which I was entitled to. It was a hot day and had been over an hours ride on the bike and wasn’t in the mood for them at all. I was cutting things fine by arriving a day early but the ‘ Kids ‘ said come back tomorrow with you girlfriend and we’ll give you the visa then. I protested saying I wanted to get the visa extension over with today and I’ll bring the girlfriend over tomorrow. The girl was not having it and I left. Next day and last day of my visa I arrived and all was sorted. It was then I found out about me having to obtain another visa from an outside country like Lao Thai consulate. 

I obviously now realise that taking my two available land border trips in succession was stupid and it has caused me to now need to leave via Udon Thani and do a Vientiane tourist visa run at great expense and zero interest. 

Anyway I believe the reason for getting my girlfriend to attend after for four years producing the house book was enough was so they could fine us for her not reporting me to immigration as is the rule. I explained as I came in 45days ago the IO took the house book and filled in a document with the address and I went home so I believed Immigration had been informed…..?

Either way in my opinion I saw a change in attitude and the friendly atmosphere I have experienced over the last 4 years since the old guy retired has IMO been replaced by an air of ‘ what problem can we get this guy on ‘

I feel like if I could get some visa such as Education for instance that would prevent the whole travel scenario that would be worth it. 

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

How much longer are you intending to start here using Visa Exempt entries?

Until 31Jan 2031 and go UK , obviously not on visa exemptions as I have now been educated to the fact that that is not possible. 

Edited by Stevey
Edit
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP , Your post is so naive it's hard to know where to start. 

There is a maximum 2 visa exempt entries via land per calendar year.

You will be able to do visa exempt entry via land in 2023.

Each entry by visa exempt or eg tourist visa can be extended ONCE per entry by 30 days. 

There is a maximum number of tourist entries from particular same consulate. 

Two is common. 

OP mentioned that Nong Khai IO told him he had to fly to VTE for TR then fly back.

That doesn't sound right to me, surely he can exit via Friendship Bridge, get his tourist visa at the Consulate in Vientiane then return via land to Thailand. 

Wasn't it just Poi Pet that refused exit to visa exempters?

Also would he need to make an appointment for his tourist visa or have they scrapped that already?

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

OP mentioned that Nong Khai IO told him he had to fly to VTE for TR then fly back.

That doesn't sound right to me, surely he can exit via Friendship Bridge, get his tourist visa at the Consulate in Vientiane then return via land to Thailand. 

Wasn't it just Poi Pet that refused exit to visa exempters?

Also would he need to make an appointment for his tourist visa or have they scrapped that already?

@ubonjoedo you have any comment on this? 

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably a immigration officer the did not know what he was talking about.

Many at local immigration office are not aware of the actual rules related to entries to the country.

Yeah that's why I thought too but thanks for confirming that land exit, TR in VTE and land return is an option for @Stevey

Still a pain but cheaper than flying or Ed Visa.

30 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Yeah that's why I thought too but thanks for confirming that land exit, TR in VTE and land return is an option for @Stevey

Still a pain but cheaper than flying or Ed Visa.

I think you will find he can depart via land crossing but must return by air

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If this isn’t a Typo then I’d suggest marrying the GF (assuming you’re not about to hit 50 anytime soon)…

Ha ha it's a typo, should be 2023. OP mentioned his intended departure date but I missed it originally because it was hard to read his long, rambling post ????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stevey said:

. At this new new people who looked like they had just left Uni got involved and denied me my extension which I was entitled to.

As you were told you are not entitled to them. You used them up. You even acknowledge this.

13 hours ago, Stevey said:

I obviously now realise that taking my two available land border trips in succession was stupid and it has caused me to now need to leave via Udon Thani and do a Vientiane tourist visa run at great expense and zero interest. 

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If this isn’t a Typo then I’d suggest marrying the GF (assuming you’re not about to hit 50 anytime soon)…

I am actually 47 and the IO suggested that and my girlfriend mentioned it last night too. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably a immigration officer that did not know what he was talking about.

Many at local immigration office are not aware of the actual rules related to entries to the country.

Ah ubonjoe ! 

apologies for my late check back.

I’ve stayed here for 2 years coming this Feb 1st  2023 Just getting Covid extensions off of my original 45day Covid Visa exemption at Swampy on the 1st Feb 2021 ( had an amazing run) then 4&1/2 months the ever so friendly Nong Office told me it was over and I had go across the bridge at NongKhai to stay here. I did this thinking I was gonna go home then. But I actually did that 2 month Covid visa exemption and then went over the bridge and got my first Lao 30 day visa and re entered at nong khai. Then is when my mistake was… I’d heard about the new 45days entry stamps and decided to test it instead of going to immigration and extending my then current visa exemption. I had people telling me I could only cross two times a year but I didn’t care because I believed I could extend I visa at NongKhai immigration two more times ( don’t know where I got that from). So here I am now I’ve done to land border crossings in the last two months and I have extended the 30 day visa exemption I got at the last border crossing.

so it is my understanding from the staff, that’s my main choices are signing to get married as they said or Vientiane Laos to obtain a 60 day tourist Visa.

I do have somebody local to me who is a Visa agent of sorts, that’s been recommended to me by a friend, could I possibly get some kind of education Visa? I’m not sure about the pros and cons of being married. I am 48 coming this December. Will being married help me doing things ? maybe I can enter on a marriage Visa in the future?

many thanks to all with advice even the trolls. 

So my current exemption is up about Nov 15 2022 

much ???? love 

53 minutes ago, Stevey said:

so it is my understanding from the staff, that’s my main choices are signing to get married as they said or Vientiane Laos to obtain a 60 day tourist Visa.

I do have somebody local to me who is a Visa agent of sorts, that’s been recommended to me by a friend, could I possibly get some kind of education Visa? I’m not sure about the pros and cons of being married. I am 48 coming this December. Will being married help me doing things ? maybe I can enter on a marriage Visa in the future?

many thanks to all with advice even the trolls. 

So my current exemption is up about Nov 15 2022 

You probably don't have enough time left to get married and then apply for non-o visa (90 days) and then a extension of stay based upon marriage. After getting this sorted out you could apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet.

It appears your best option at this time is to apply for tourist visa at the embassy in Vientiane since you have used your 2 visa exempt entries at a land border crossings per calendar year.

It appears you are now on a overstay if the November 15th number is correct. Have you extended that entry yet.

Edit: If enrolled in a language school you could get a single entry non-ed visa and then 90 day extensions for a total stay of a year.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears you are now on a overstay if the November 15th number is correct. Have you extended that entry yet.

Edit: If enrolled in a language school you could get a single entry non-ed visa and then 90 day extensions for a total stay of a year.

Sorry Dec 15 my current stamp ends, had to pack a lot into that post. I would never overstay intentionally too much to lose. 

It wouldn’t be so bad if I could fly from Udon Thani to Laos, but I’m not sure if that’s possible. I may have to go all the way to Udon Thani- Don Muang -Lao- Don Muang - Uson Thani plus hotels and visa which is absolutely crazy ????.

To journey to get from literally this side of the Mekong river to the other side of the Mekong river and back again is so immense it’s crazy. I will be well up for paying my way out of this.

Why did I think that I could get two extensions onto an entry stamp? I can only thing I’ve got confused because it’s been so easy just to walk into NongKhai and keep extending all these months.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:38 PM, marin said:

As you were told you are not entitled to them. You used them up. You even acknowledge this.

I think you misunderstood my ramblings about the issue about being denied the extension a few days ago at Nong Khai when my entry visa exemption from Lao was going expire the next day. The 30 year old new staff decided that they were going to fine my girlfriend for not presenting at the office herself and informing them I stay there. We have always just had me being the house book and ID card but the new guy decided that now she personally has to come with me when I make an extension using her address. They fined her/me 800baht. This was the reason for not not giving me the extension I was entitled to. They want to use the exemption as a bargaining chip to guarantee the measly 800baht would be received. Very inconvenient as my girlfriend help her sister and father on the farm plus the risk of maybe having a problem on the ultimate day and not being able to get to Nong Khai possibly could easily have occurred. They are well out of order. They could have just said there is a fine to pay on the day I arrived. The situation has really tarnished the image of that office for me after nearly 4 of use. For four years I have just either called in at some point within a day or two of arriving or sometimes my girlfriend has called the office and they updated what ever system if any they have. As I’ve rambled on so far I’ll add this, when I entered from Lao after using the last of two entries I now have been told I wrote on my entry T? Card my intentioned address and the IO at the border queried it. I gave him the house book and he took the details and waves my off into the evening. I know it’s a stretch but felt Nong Khai immigration had been informed where I was staying and that was that. I’d they had been open I would have swung by and gave them the book as usual. 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:16 PM, norbra said:

I think you will find he can depart via land crossing but must return by air

On 11/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Why does he need to return by air if he has a valid Tourist Visa (TR)? 

Hi Lads and thanks for the advice so far. 

I've just been going thru the post and noticed you saying that I maybe able to leave at the land border @ubonjoe ?  I can see that if I get the Tourist Visa at Vientiane I can just waltz back over and NongKhai so that’s a relief. But am I allowed to leave Thailand across that land border into Lao again ? 

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

Hi Lads and thanks for the advice so far. 

I've just been going thru the post and noticed you saying that I maybe able to leave at the land border @ubonjoe ?  I can see that if I get the Tourist Visa at Vientiane I can just waltz back over and NongKhai so that’s a relief. But am I allowed to leave Thailand across that land border into Lao again ? 

Yes, you can leave via the land border at Nong Khai, UJ confirmed this. Well it's really a river border but let's not quibble ????

Friendship Bridge I at NK is one of the 6 checkpoints where you can use a Lao e-visa should you wish to save a page in your passport.

https://laoevisa.gov.la/info

ps. don't ask me how many boxes of Beerlao you can smuggle back across the bridge, I'm Bangkok based and haven't set foot in the outback for a very long time.

pps. Vientiane is a nice little town. Maybe take the GF for a couple days vacay. Propose to her on the banks of the mighty Kong River! ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Stevey said:

Of course you can leave Thailand and enter Laos again. After getting a tourist visa it certainly would not be problem enter Thailand with a tourist visa.

No problem to enter visa exempt on or after January 1st visa exempt since that is the day the 2 per calendar year starts again if you have already reached the limit for this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Of course you can leave Thailand and enter Laos again. After getting a tourist visa it certainly would not be problem enter Thailand with a tourist visa.

No problem to enter visa exempt on or after January 1st visa exempt since that is the day the 2 per calendar year starts again if you have already reached the limit for this year.

So just to confirm what I’m understanding from your advice the two land crossings per year is a Thai rule meaning that I can only enter Thailand via land border in any calendar year but I can exit Thailand and obtain a Lao visa at the Lao side immigration OR @Lemsta69obtain an Evisa from https://laoevisa.gov.la/info , having had  two Lao 30 day visas already.

Then obtain a TR visa at Thai consulate Vientiane then cross the land border at NongKhai again ? 

If this is indeed the case then it will make life infinitely easier. 

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Vientiane is a nice little town. Maybe take the GF for a couple days vacay. Propose to her on the banks of the mighty Kong River! ????

Proposing ..Yeah ? A few months ago I found her messenger was signed into her 5 year old lads phone because that phone was previously hers. I have looked after him since he was 1 yrs and to all intents I’m his Por as he calls me. Reading the Thai of the latest chat of that day I saw she had been in a relationship with a scruffy farm worker who visits her friends in the opposite house. The chat goes back to March 2020 but he’s not around now gone to Taiwan working. So probably not jumping into marriage right this minute. They do love their Thai men. 

17 minutes ago, Stevey said:

So just to confirm what I’m understanding from your advice the two land crossings per year is a Thai rule meaning that I can only enter Thailand via land border in any calendar year but I can exit Thailand and obtain a Lao visa at the Lao side immigration OR @Lemsta69obtain an Evisa from https://laoevisa.gov.la/info , having had  two Lao 30 day visas already.

Then obtain a TR visa at Thai consulate Vientiane then cross the land border at NongKhai again ? 

If this is indeed the case then it will make life infinitely easier. 

Yes, that's correct.

But I only suggested Lao e-visa because you're a Pom and they charge like wounded bulls for a new passport so you don't want to fill it up unnecessarily. The Lao visa-on-arrival sticker takes up a whole page in your passport doesn't it?

I was there last in 2008 so obviously my knowledge of Lao entry procedure is a bit out of date, but I don't see anyone else apart from UJ rushing to help you out so I'm doing my best to fill in! ????