Donald Trump 2024: Why it will be harder for him to run this time

Scott

Donald J. Trump

Donald Trump has announced his third straight presidential bid, in an extremely rare attempt by a former US leader to recapture the White House after losing an election.

The speech, which clocked in at more than an hour, was largely a mix of boasts about his presidential record and attacks on the first two years of Joe Biden's presidency.

On display were some of Mr Trump's continued strengths.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63638929

BBC.jpg

Just heard on Al Jazeera that Murdoch has withdrawn his support for Trump, so no more Fox help.

I said a couple of days ago that Trump will likely struggle to get financial backing for his run, which in itself will probably mean he does not succeed, barring some unknown event in his favour.

Even attacking DeSantos when Trump is becoming so unpopular outside his base could mean that DeSantos becomes more popular. If that means DeSantos wins in 24, that's OK with me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

He felt so sorry for old sleepy Joe that he gave him a chance to do good. So Joe tried to do everything opposite to Trump and where is America now? In the toilet?

Sarcasm for your posts, now I understand them much better. Trump is the opposite of what you say...

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything about Trump is fake, including this ‘run for the Presidency’.

But he can’t accept failure and he certainly will not pass his supporters off to the eventual GOP candidate.

The question then arises, will the slavish followers of Trump, vote for anyone else, or will they sit it out?

If the cult of Trump got the vote out, does the vote show up when he’s no longer the candidate?

What a mess the GOP have chosen for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But he can’t accept failure and he certainly will not pass his supporters off to the eventual GOP candidate.

The question then arises, will the slavish followers of Trump, vote for anyone else, or will they sit it out?

If the cult of Trump got the vote out, does the vote show up when he’s no longer the candidate?

I won't link it here as not sure if it's allowable but Seth Abramson on twitter has an interesting take on this.  He seems to think Trump has the GOP over a barrel and will win any primaries comfortably or destroy the party if they oppose him.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump will run again and that's not fake. The Democrats should be worried as there is nobody in there party to run against him, and please don't say old Joe will run again, health wise he may not get passed these next two years.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Trump will run again and that's not fake. The Democrats should be worried as there is nobody in there party to run against him, and please don't say old Joe will run again, health wise he may not get passed these next two years.

Fresh off her court win against the former president, Manigault Newman told MSNBC's Rev. Al Sharpton that she's concerned about the fact that Trump "hasn't come forward and talked about his health."

"I don't know if he will even be healthy enough to run in 2024," she said, according to MSNBC. "I think he needs to come clean to the American people about where he is on that before deciding to get into a very stressful and strenuous race for the White House." 

https://www.businessinsider.com/former-aide-omarosa-trump-wont-be-healthy-enough-2024-run-2021-10

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

The GOP has had the backbone of a jellyfish ever since 2014, terrified of losing his endorsement. They are now reaping what they sowed.

I agree Trump would destroy the GOP if opposed, he takes vindictive to a new level. Running as an independent candidate would give the Democrats a cakewalk.

I see a poster is claiming God is on Trump's side, perhaps he is not aware Trump has openly mocked the religious groups supporting him.

God help America if he was to get back in.

Trump, more than anyone knows the Christian Nationalists are useful idiots.

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Trump will run but he may not make it pass the primaries. His favourability rating is dropping to new low and the negatives are stacked high against him and there are younger more talented Republicans snapping at his heels. Trump is no spring chicken at 78 in 2024 while Joe is only 3 years older and looks much healthier. 

Could you even imagine Trump riding a bicycle on a daily basis?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fresh off her court win against the former president, Manigault Newman told MSNBC's Rev. Al Sharpton that she's concerned about the fact that Trump "hasn't come forward and talked about his health."

"I don't know if he will even be healthy enough to run in 2024," she said, according to MSNBC. "I think he needs to come clean to the American people about where he is on that before deciding to get into a very stressful and strenuous race for the White House." 

https://www.businessinsider.com/former-aide-omarosa-trump-wont-be-healthy-enough-2024-run-2021-10

The truth needs to be told about why he was rushed into the Walter Reed Hospital in the middle of the night to be administered the Montreal Cognitive Assessment Test?

What brought that on and why aren’t the American Public being informed of the truth on this matter?

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The spelling errors in your post do help me understand why you are a Trump supporter.

It would be an interesting social experiment to measure the mean IQ of those Republicans who believe his claim he won, despite losing the popular vote by 7 million votes.

Ouch...555

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

You seem to be all in for Trump....which is fine.  But you should consider what the entire GOP is considering.  Nevermind the baggage that Trump has--which is considerable--a tangible advantage that DeSantis and others have is that they have the potential to be in the White House for 2 terms/8 years.  The max for Trump is 1 term/4 years.  So even if elected, he'll immediately be a lame duck. 

Well, no. The great hope of the Trumpsters is that will be the last fair election.

Even Christian evangelists don't have the courage of their convictions.

Robert Jeffress, a pastor at the First Baptist Dallas church in Texas and staunch evangelical ally of Donald Trump, said on Wednesday that he will wait for the Republican Party nomination to endorse the former president.

"Donald Trump was a great president, and if he becomes the GOP nominee in 2024 I will happily support him," Jeffress told Newsweek.

When further asked about supporting Trump ahead of the Republican nomination, Jeffress told Newsweek that "the Republican Party is headed toward a civil war that I have no desire or need to be part of.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-key-evangelical-ally-robert-jeffress-wont-endorse-him-yet-1760175

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Well, no. The great hope of the Trumpsters is that will be the last fair election.

5555....yeah, Trump will abolish the 2 term limit and install himself as permanent POTUS like his buddy Xi.  I wouldn't put it past Trump to try something like that. 

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

5555....yeah, Trump will abolish the 2 term limit and install himself as permanent POTUS like his buddy Xi.  I wouldn't put it past Trump to try something like that. 

On Wednesday, writing for The Daily Beast, political and national security analyst David Rothkopf warned that Trump's "authoritarian" allies and followers still have grand designs of dismantling American civil institutions and killing democracy — and while the GOP's underperformance in 2022 was a setback, it was by no means the end of their ambitions.

https://www.rawstory.com/maga-authoritarians-are-still-set-on-tearing-down-democracy-even-after-taking-a-beating-analyst/