Bus service between Jomtien and downtown Bangkok

WaveHunter

North Pattaya to Ekkamai is slower due to heavy traffic in Bangkok and the distance it has to cover on busy Sukhumvit road. Pre-Covid I always travelled from Jomtien to Airport and took the train to Phayathai. From Phaya thai to anywhere in Bangkok on BTS or MRT route is faster (at least mentally). Not sitting in a bus in busy Bangkok traffic. Of course if you have a luggage it's another story. During Covid, I took the North Pattaya bus station to Ekamai when bangkok traffic was lighter and there were no buses from Jomtien to Airport. 

Have the Jomtien to Airport busses resumed fully like every hour?

Edited by Onerak

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Man you got lucky. There's a reason why I stopped using the Ekkamai bus and went from Morchit instead and that was because there were just too many unsmiling, grouchy foreigners that refused to sit in their allocated sets. I was ready to start bashing one Swiss couple who took our seats but then I thought better of it. Plus I can't fight lol.

I am 100% convinced that the ticket clerks sit the foreigners together so that the Thais don't have to be subjected to their presence. Bus is still only 130 baht or so, better to buy two seats together so you don't get some lumbering great oaf sitting next to you ????

That's not the case now, usually only a few foreigners max on the early bus. There's always a few people including Thai who sit in the wrong seat which is understandable as the numbering is confusing, They get moved by the ticket lady

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not the case now, usually only a few foreigners max on the early bus. There's always a few people including Thai who sit in the wrong seat which is understandable as the numbering is confusing, They get moved by the ticket lady

Well I'm glad to hear it's a bit more civilized these days. I had to get off the bus at Ekkamai because some stupid foreigner (not farang) was sitting in someone else's seat and refused to move despite being asked by the ticket lady. She ended up in tears because of the way he was talking to her. 

I didn't want to be on a bus for two hours with such a horrible person so I got off and caught the next bus. Then I never took another Ekkamai bus after that for twenty-odd years ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If Bell bus still runs ( to the airport ) they had a pick up service door to bus station, and could book in advance on them.

Yep, just take bell. It’s much easier. You can book in English on their website.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Do I have that figured correctly?  If so, I guess scubascuba3's advice to leave from the North Pattaya depot makes more sense. Yes?

Yes, the buses from there run very frequently......they use big buses, much better than a minivan, and getting to the North Rd bus station from Jomtien... use a motorcycle taxi, or baht bus to North Rd, your own transport and park next to the bus station....all depending you have not got baggage. If you do, get a taxi. The Ekamai buses run down Sukhumvit in Bangkok so there are opportunities to get off before there and get onto the Skytrain earlier... On-Nut for example.

Edited by jacko45k

30 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, the buses from there run very frequently......they use big buses, much better than a minivan, and getting to the North Rd bus station from Jomtien... use a motorcycle taxi, or baht bus to North Rd, your own transport and park next to the bus station....all depending you have not got baggage. If you do, get a taxi. The Ekamai buses run down Sukhumvit in Bangkok so there are opportunities to get off before there and get onto the Skytrain earlier... On-Nut for example.

I always got off at On Nut when the skytrain opened. I liked that I could use the escalator in the mall instead of dragging a heavy bag up the steps. Also good for a toilet stop.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I could fill a book with my "adventurous journeys" in LOS. Sometimes one just had to laugh or cry. Probably the most annoying was turning up with a prebooked and paid for bus to Surat Thani only to find that they gave it to someone else!. My GF got us on the next bus, or I'd have had a melt down, which is never a good idea in LOS.

The most mind boggling was finding that my GF couldn't go on a bus because she was Thai.

The absolute worst was being scammed onto the wrong bus to Pattaya which stopped every 5 minutes to pick up passengers and broke down less than half way to Pattaya. Had to wait ages for the next bus and stand all the way to Pattaya. Of course we didn't get a refund or an apology.

Trains were even more adventurous, but too many stories to tell on here.

That's why I loved Thailand so much- everything was an adventure into the unknown.

Well my most adventurous bus journey was actually the return trip from that visa run in Myanmar when Thai Police at a roadblock flagged the bus over to the side of the road and a bunch of Thai special police boarded the bus with assault style weapons, loudly ordering everyone to show their passports!  I never did figure out what / who they were looking for but that was downright scary!

Edited by WaveHunter

On 11/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, WaveHunter said:

So, does this look correct for travelling from Jomtien Bus Depot to MBK? 

And, the section of travel from Ari to Siam...is it a BTS Skytrain or a bus?

1302913093_ScreenShot2022-11-21at5_41_34PM.jpg.81d1b55c812e8054aff442e7e0bb68c7.jpg

bangkok_airport_rail_link_map.jpg.138e630b1c6b8a8872e3d1dd3a140e28.jpg

Phaya Thai > MBK

image.jpeg.70b98a6677f5bf8ac37c051a95ccbb27.jpeg

That's the skytrain. I never bothered with the skytrain from Phaya Thai, given how close it was to MBK. I'd just get a taxi to the door at MBK.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's the skytrain. I never bothered with the skytrain from Phaya Thai, given how close it was to MBK. I'd just get a taxi to the door at MBK.

Thanks!  I'm sure I'm making this seem more difficult than it is.  I just like to be prepared.  Kind of overkill I suppose since I'll gave Google Maps to guide me LOL!

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks!  I'm sure I'm making this seem more difficult than it is.  I just like to be prepared.  Kind of overkill I suppose since I'll gave Google Maps to guide me LOL!

You'll find it okay, let us know how it goes post trip. For what works out transport wise at 500 baht return all in I find it a convenient, easy and affordable way to enjoy a 2 or 3 day trip every month.

17 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL. The hardest part will be getting on the bus at Jomtien. Airport - easy to get on train to Phya Thai, taxi to MBK door.

You should go back via Ekamai just to see how that works.

MBK to National Stadium station over walkway. Change at Siam Station. Get off at Ekamai, buy ticket at booth ( not the other bus, which buy ticket at the bus for ), bus to North Pattaya bus station. Baht bus to Jomtien.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The hardest part will be getting on the bus at Jomtien. Airport - easy to get on train to Phya Thai, taxi to MBK door.

You should go back via Ekamai just to see how that works.

MBK to National Stadium station over walkway. Change at Siam Station. Get off at Ekamai, buy ticket at booth ( not the other bus, which buy ticket at the bus for ), bus to North Pattaya bus station. Baht bus to Jomtien.

I was going to head in this morning, and then, of all possible things, my iPhone suddenly stopped working!  The screen is so dim I can't even see it!  &^%$#@.  So, today will be devoted to getting it fixed.  Never thought of how much we rely on mobile devices.  What a pain in the *ss it would be having that happen on a trip ????

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I was going to head in this morning, and then, of all possible things, my iPhone suddenly stopped working!  The screen is so dim I can't even see it!  &^%$#@.  So, today will be devoted to getting it fixed.  Never thought of how much we rely on mobile devices.  What a pain in the *ss it would be having that happen on a trip ????

Screen brightness in settings?? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Screen brightness in settings?? 

Believe me, I checked every troubleshooting step, and even had AppleCare on the phone trying to diagnose the problem.  They said I probably would need to replace the screen ????

They were wrong!  I took it to a local repair shop here in Pattaya, and the owner (a genius in my book) quickly determined that the screen and all software/hardware was fine.  The problem was simply that my battery-health was too low, so he replaced it in less than 15 minutes, and all is good again ????

If anybody else needs any type of iOS device repair this is the man to see!  He is incredibly knowledgeable and his shop looks like a high-tech laboratory.  He's super friendly and very reasonable as far as prices go.

This is his shop, if anyone want to bookmark it for future reference:  https://g.page/iosrestore?share

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Believe me, I checked every troubleshooting step, and even had AppleCare on the phone trying to diagnose the problem.  They said I probably would need to replace the screen ????

They were wrong!  I took it to a local repair shop here in Pattaya, and the owner (a genius in my book) quickly determined that the screen and all software/hardware was fine.  The problem was simply that my battery-health was too low, so he replaced it in less than 15 minutes, and all is good again ????

If anybody else needs any type of iOS device repair this is the man to see!  He is incredibly knowledgeable and his shop looks like a high-tech laboratory.  He's super friendly and very reasonable as far as prices go.

You can't figure out how to catch a bus from Jomtien to Bangkok but within an hour of supposed phone failure you found this obscure phone repair location that's the best in Pattaya...how did you find it?

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

You can't figure out how to catch a bus from Jomtien to Bangkok but within an hour of supposed phone failure you found this obscure phone repair location that's the best in Pattaya...how did you find it?

No need to be snarky ????.  I guess you're not familiar with Google Maps Reviews?  It's the best way way to quickly find a vender and see unbiased reviews, and also get travel directions downloaded directly to your mobile device (my ipad in this case).  That and a quick Grab taxi ride booked through my mobile device is all it took to solve my problem, even on a grid-locked Saturday afternoon.

Edited by WaveHunter

On 11/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, WaveHunter said:

This may be shocking news for you, but it's not necessary to use a mobile device to get around Thailand. I never did for decades, yet I was able to travel over much of LOS, find hotels ( by looking ), use buses and trains and taxis, etc.

I even did much of it before the internet existed for us.

Have you considered that being dependent on a device is not really a good idea. Had it failed while you were traveling would you then have been unable to continue?

On 11/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, WaveHunter said:

So, does this look correct for travelling from Jomtien Bus Depot to MBK? 

And, the section of travel from Ari to Siam...is it a BTS Skytrain or a bus?

That will work, but I think the better way would be BTS Ari to BTS National Stadium, changing trains at BTS Siam.

At BTS National Stadium when you exit the train you can use the skywalk which is linked directly to the MBK Centre so you will not have to descend to street level. This would mean this whole section of the journey from BTS Ari onwards would be by Skytrain.

You would join the BTS at Ari station N5, and catch the train heading towards Kheha. Disembark at Siam station CEN. You will disembark on Floor 3, platform 1. You need to go up the escalator to Floor 4, platform 4 and catch the train heading towards National Stadium station W1. As I mentioned, when you exit BTS National Stadium just follow the skywalk signs to MBK. The skywalk joins MBK in two places. If you can't walk up the steps at the first entrance then keep on walking on the skywalk and use the second entrance.

On your return journey, exit MBK and join the BTS at National Stadium station W1, catch the train heading towards Bang Wa. Disembark at Siam station CEN. You will disembark on Floor 3, Platform 3. You need to go up the escalator to Floor 4, platform 2 and catch the train heading towards Ku Khot. Get off the train at Ari station N5.

You can buy 1 single ticket from Ari to National Stadium for 37 baht, and the same price for the return journey. Believe me, it's not worth walking from Siam to National Stadium to save literally 4 baht each way.

The change at BTS Siam sounds complicated, but it's not. Each floor only has 2 platforms, and the platforms are either side of the same island. The most important thing is to know what floor you need next and the direction your train will be heading in, as all the signs will say "towards Bang Wa" or "towards Ku Khot", etc.

I hope that helps.

38 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That will work, but I think the better way would be BTS Ari to BTS National Stadium, changing trains at BTS Siam.

At BTS National Stadium when you exit the train you can use the skywalk which is linked directly to the MBK Centre so you will not have to descend to street level. This would mean this whole section of the journey from BTS Ari onwards would be by Skytrain.

You would join the BTS at Ari station N5, and catch the train heading towards Kheha. Disembark at Siam station CEN. You will disembark on Floor 3, platform 1. You need to go up the escalator to Floor 4, platform 4 and catch the train heading towards National Stadium station W1. As I mentioned, when you exit BTS National Stadium just follow the skywalk signs to MBK. The skywalk joins MBK in two places. If you can't walk up the steps at the first entrance then keep on walking on the skywalk and use the second entrance.

On your return journey, exit MBK and join the BTS at National Stadium station W1, catch the train heading towards Bang Wa. Disembark at Siam station CEN. You will disembark on Floor 3, Platform 3. You need to go up the escalator to Floor 4, platform 2 and catch the train heading towards Ku Khot. Get off the train at Ari station N5.

You can buy 1 single ticket from Ari to National Stadium for 37 baht, and the same price for the return journey. Believe me, it's not worth walking from Siam to National Stadium to save literally 4 baht each way.

The change at BTS Siam sounds complicated, but it's not. Each floor only has 2 platforms, and the platforms are either side of the same island. The most important thing is to know what floor you need next and the direction your train will be heading in, as all the signs will say "towards Bang Wa" or "towards Ku Khot", etc.

I hope that helps.

I will be there the same day, but slightly different destination.     Simple tho.. Just get off the stop before me. !!! ????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This may be shocking news for you, but it's not necessary to use a mobile device to get around Thailand. I never did for decades, yet I was able to travel over much of LOS, find hotels ( by looking ), use buses and trains and taxis, etc.

Have you considered that being dependent on a device is not really a good idea. Had it failed while you were traveling would you then have been unable to continue?

Ah  the old days, trying to find a TAT office and getting leaflets listing hotels and having the lady phone up... those adventurous tours of my younger days. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Ah  the old days, trying to find a TAT office and getting leaflets listing hotels and having the lady phone up... those adventurous tours of my younger days. 

Rarely used a TAT office. I'd find out where the hotels were and go walk around till I found one I liked. Never booked on the phone.

First time I ever went to Thailand I used the hotel booking place at the airport which included transport to the hotel- Easy peasy.

First time I went to Chaweng, got dropped off in middle of hotel strip and walked along the beach till I found one I liked.

Once I learned to take a temporary GF with me to the islands it got easier as I'd leave her with the bag in a restaurant while I looked around.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:23 AM, Onerak said:

North Pattaya to Ekkamai is slower due to heavy traffic in Bangkok and the distance it has to cover on busy Sukhumvit road.

That's correct, which is why, unless having a big bag that had to be stowed, I got off at On Nut and took sky train. I believe one can get off before On Nut now.

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

I hope that helps.

This is what I came up with...sounds pretty simple to me:

image.jpeg.1395473cf31c88257b74d288934880db.jpeg

617623581_ScreenShot2022-11-28at1_36_14PM.jpg.76b2b5b3d5bdad4a3ed94422a7c361c7.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

I hope that helps.

Why not just walk from SIam to MBK?

683482383_ScreenShot2022-11-28at1_36_14PM.jpg.825b732759ef8b907ce81bc059f4c321.jpg?

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps not necessary but so many times in Thailand even the simplest destination is not so apparent.  Google Maps just makes it a lot easier.

I am normally old school and did not even use smart phones until they had been around for years, but once hi-tech makes life easier, your just sort of embrace it and wonder how you ever got along without it ????

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

First time I ever went to Thailand I used the hotel booking place at the airport which included transport to the hotel- Easy peasy.

Too many scams! Paying up front to those agents to be avoided. A few trips were on public transport, but when I rented a vehicle much better... walking about looking for hotels would not have worked in most places. TAT offices were  very helpful.. sometimes. ????

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Why not just walk from SIam to MBK?

Laziness, the same way that most peorple don't get off their transport one stop early and walk.

Health, I try not to walk by any main road in Bangkok if I can. It's just not pleasant at all.