Bus service between Jomtien and downtown Bangkok

WaveHunter

11 minutes ago, OneZero said:

If this is true (Jomtien Soi 5?) that is new info to me too. 

Anybody have further explicit details about this?

Vans are referenced on the link under

How to get from Ekkamai to Jomtien Bus station, and Other Options. However I couldn't see where they left from. Logically they might leave from the bus station in Jomtien.

You're living right next to the Jomtien bus station, I honestly think any time saving going from there to the airport, airport link + bts versus going to North Pattaya bus station to Ekkamai or earlier + bts is going to be minimal.

There is no bus to Ekkamai from the Jomtien Foodmart, it's solely to the airport. I do the airport route into the center once a month and I would say it's around 2 hours 30 ish all in.

Edited by kinyara
correction
  • Thanks 1

Hey everybody, Thanks for all the input.  I think I'll just take the bus from Jomtien and plan to stay overnight so I don't feel rushed getting all my tasks completed.  Even with overnight stay, it's still cheaper than a driving service, and probably more fun too. 

I'd still like to know if direct service between Ekkamai  and Jomtien,  and/or North Pattaya exists or if both require transferring to rail.

[quote]

What's the best way to get to the MBK Center from Jomtien and return.  I've never ridden the buses here before so advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Taxi is the best way to do the trip or one of the private car services taking your door to door. Not sure why loads of people are suggesting other ways, as the OP asked for "the best way"

Edited by bbi1

20 minutes ago, kinyara said:

You're living right next to the Jomtien bus station, I honestly think any time saving going from there to the airport, airport link + bts versus going to North Pattaya bus station to Ekkamai or earlier + bts is going to be minimal.

There is no bus to Ekkamai from the Jomtien Foodmart, it's solely to the airport. I do the airport route into the center once a month and I would say it's around 2 hours 30 ish all in.

I kind of got that feeling that Jomtien - Ekkamai would not actually be direct.  No big deal though since I've now decided to just stay overnight in Bangkok so I don't feel rushed with my tasks. 

I only prefer Jomtien over N. Pattaya since the depot in Jomtien is literally a 5 minute walk from my house.

Also, thanks for the reminder that MBK doesn't open until 10am ????

Edited by WaveHunter

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't really need to be there early; I just need as much time as possible while there.  Your suggestion of staying overnight is not a bad one.  I might just do that!  It would be fun since I rarely get into Bangkok, and a hotel room would still be cheaper than a car service or taxi.

Thanks for the thought ????

PS: Just checked hotel availability for a nice but cheap place.  Ihad no idea prices were so low.  Here's what you get for 800 THB.  I think I'll do it!

1393150275_ScreenShot2022-11-20at6_30_54PM.jpg.0034f2be6bea3ab8ffe47b1c803ef538.jpg

You are welcome. Look at it as an opportunity to do something different for a day and you'll be far more relaxed than if stressing about getting there.

Use the no stress trips as a learning experience. Could go via Ekamai to Bkk and via airport on way back. Don't go to Mo Chit though. No skytrain or underground near it so need to take a local bus or taxi. Way too far to walk.

Return trip plus your cheap hotel works out about same as taxi one way.

BTW, if leaving from Ekamai don't get scammed onto the bus that stops every 5 minutes to pick up passengers. Only get the bus paid for at the ticket office.

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

[quote]

What's the best way to get to the MBK Center from Jomtien and return.  I've never ridden the buses here before so advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Taxi is the best way to do the trip or one of the private car services taking your door to door. Not sure why loads of people are suggesting other ways, as the OP asked for "the best way"

LOL. Bus window seat is the best as can get to look at the scenery properly. Also bus has toilet if one gets caught short. The whole trip is an adventure in a foreign country.

Taking a taxi is only "best" if one doesn't mind wasting money, and doesn't like rubbing shoulders with the locals.

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I kind of got that feeling that Jomtien - Ekkamai would require the rail transfer.  No big deal though since I am just going to stay overnight in Bangkok so I don't feel rushed with my tasks.  I only prefer Jomtien over N. Pattaya since the depot in Jomtien is literally a 5 minute walk from my house.

Also, thanks for the reminder that MBK doesn't open until 10am ????

Like you I'm right beside the Jomtien bus station as well, the convenience, comfort and price of that service is excellent, plus easy to walk round and buy your ticket the day before as it is a popular service. You're getting on at the start of the airport link so you are guaranteed a seat all the way in. I find it a relaxing trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are welcome. Look at it as an opportunity to do something different for a day and you'll be far more relaxed than if stressing about getting there.

Use the no stress trips as a learning experience. Could go via Ekamai to Bkk and via airport on way back. Don't go to Mo Chit though. No skytrain or underground near it so need to take a local bus or taxi. Way too far to walk.

Return trip plus your cheap hotel works out about same as taxi one way.

BTW, if leaving from Ekamai don't get scammed onto the bus that stops every 5 minutes to pick up passengers. Only get the bus paid for at the ticket office.

Yeah, the thought of just having a leisurely time by staying overnight is appealing!  I have not actually travelled since Covid, so even a one-nighter should be fun, and surprisingly less expensive than using a car service to get in and out in one day...so thanks again for the idea, and thanks for the tip about not getting scammed by the buses leaving Ekkamai ????

3 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Like you I'm right beside the Jomtien bus station as well, the convenience, comfort and price of that service is excellent, plus easy to walk round and buy your ticket the day before as it is a popular service. You're getting on at the start of the airport link so you are guaranteed a seat all the way in. I find it a relaxing trip.

Cool, thanks for letting me know that.  I rarely use buses and even though I've seen them over there everytime I go to FoodMart I had no idea what they were for LOL!  I'm glad to hear you find them comfortable and enjoyable because some bus trips I've taken here in the Magic Kingdom certainly can't be described as comfortable or enjoyable in any stretch of the imagination LOL!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'd still like to know if direct service between Ekkamai  and Jomtien,  and/or North Pattaya exists or if both require transferring to rail.

No trip via Ekamai requires rail if visiting the city center ( around Siam area ). The skytrain goes right past Ekamai and the skytrain station is right by the bus station.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Bus window seat is the best as can get to look at the scenery properly. Also bus has toilet if one gets caught short. The whole trip is an adventure in a foreign country.

Taking a taxi is only "best" if one doesn't mind wasting money, and doesn't like rubbing shoulders with the locals.

LOL, I've had a few "adventurous" rides on Thai buses like when I did a Visa run to Myanmar and thought we were all going to die on the treacherous roads through the mountains.  I think the ride into BKK will be tame by comparison, but I still like the idea better than using a driving service not only to save money but having other people around kind of sounds appealing after being so isolated during Covid.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Cool, thanks for letting me know that.  I rarely use buses and even though I've seen them over there everytime I go to FoodMart I had no idea what they were for LOL!  I'm glad to hear you find them comfortable and enjoyable because some bus trips I've taken here in the Magic Kingdom certainly can't be described as comfortable or enjoyable in any stretch of the imagination LOL!

I always enjoyed my bus trips as I like looking at the scenery.

Way back the buses were rejects from intercity routes, but I think they are better now.

The secret is not having to rush by leaving earlier than one thinks is necessary. There always seemed to be some delay or other problem when I traveled in LOS. If one isn't interested in the local life, take a good book.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No trip via Ekamai requires rail if visiting the city center ( around Siam area ). The skytrain goes right past Ekamai and the skytrain station is right by the bus station.

Not sure I understand.  I'm fairly convinced now that from Jomtien, buses only go as far as Suvarnabhumi Airport and then you must use rail from Suvarnabhumi to get into the city.  Am I wrong?  By rail, I guess I am referring to Skytrain.

Edited by WaveHunter

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What locals? The bus is usually packed 80% full of foreigners!

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Not sure I understand.  I'm fairly convinced now that from Jomtien, buses only go as far as Suvarnabhumi Airport and then you must use rail to get into the city.  Am I wrong?

Jomptien to airport direct.Nth Pattaya to Ekamai direct.Return same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always enjoyed my bus trips as I like looking at the scenery.

Way back the buses were rejects from intercity routes, but I think they are better now.

The secret is not having to rush by leaving earlier than one thinks is necessary. There always seemed to be some delay or other problem when I traveled in LOS. If one isn't interested in the local life, take a good book.

I agree.  I love to just look out the side window and be mesmerized by the passing scenery.  I do some of my best creative thinking that way LOL!  It's different in a car service though.  You always feel obliged to converse with the driver.  That's kind of why I like the idea of a bus ride better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL, I've had a few "adventurous" rides on Thai buses like when I did a Visa run to Myanmar and thought we were all going to die on the treacherous roads through the mountains.  I think the ride into BKK will be tame by comparison, but I still like the idea better than using a driving service not only to save money but having other people around kind of sounds appealing after being so isolated during Covid.

I could fill a book with my "adventurous journeys" in LOS. Sometimes one just had to laugh or cry. Probably the most annoying was turning up with a prebooked and paid for bus to Surat Thani only to find that they gave it to someone else!. My GF got us on the next bus, or I'd have had a melt down, which is never a good idea in LOS.

The most mind boggling was finding that my GF couldn't go on a bus because she was Thai.

The absolute worst was being scammed onto the wrong bus to Pattaya which stopped every 5 minutes to pick up passengers and broke down less than half way to Pattaya. Had to wait ages for the next bus and stand all the way to Pattaya. Of course we didn't get a refund or an apology.

Trains were even more adventurous, but too many stories to tell on here.

That's why I loved Thailand so much- everything was an adventure into the unknown.

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Not sure I understand.  I'm fairly convinced now that from Jomtien, buses only go as far as Suvarnabhumi Airport and then you must use rail from Suvarnabhumi to get into the city.  Am I wrong?  By rail, I guess I am referring to Skytrain.

Yes to be accurate the skytrain runs on tracks, but I assumed you meant the airport train.

If you go to the airport you have to use the airport train ( rail ) to get to town, though you could use a bus or a taxi ( direct to hotel ). There is no skytrain service to the airport.

To go to Ekamai use skytrain.

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The most farangs on any bus trip I made was about 50%, and that was unusual.

Bell Bus had loads of farangs though.

Man you got lucky. There's a reason why I stopped using the Ekkamai bus and went from Morchit instead and that was because there were just too many unsmiling, grouchy foreigners that refused to sit in their allocated sets. I was ready to start bashing one Swiss couple who took our seats but then I thought better of it. Plus I can't fight lol.

I am 100% convinced that the ticket clerks sit the foreigners together so that the Thais don't have to be subjected to their presence. Bus is still only 130 baht or so, better to buy two seats together so you don't get some lumbering great oaf sitting next to you ????