Health benefits by quitting Coffee?

Hummin

13 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Good instant is 90% the same as the pretentious stuff.

And 96.57% of stats are made up on the spot !! :passifier:

I do agree to a point though, there’s some pretentious and over marketed stuff out there... but excellent coffee doesn’t need to be pretentious at all. 

Taste is subjective, some people have decent taste, some do - if you are saying instant is a good as fresh (even 90%) then you’re way off... I’ve tried lots of instant coffees, some rated highly.... but they are still not comparable to good coffee made from fresh-ground beans...

The closest I get to instant.... is to grind a medium-dark roast Arabica extremely fine (finer than espresso), boil that and drink without filtering (the sludge sinks to the bottom) - Turkish style. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Good instant is 90% the same as the pretentious stuff.

I think your comment below nullifies the validity of any comments you may have regarding the taste and quality of instant vs freshly ground roast beans...  

38 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

7/11 has good coffee.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

How so? Id say giving up cigs did. My dad drinks coffee 5 a day. Fitter than people half his age.

Coffee & a smoke went pretty much hand in hand, particularly on the home pc.

'Twas just my way of not thinking of a smoke. Not drinking coffee for a period of time assisted.

Otherwise, coffee is cool, non life-threatening and the aroma often stunning.????????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think your comment below nullifies the validity of any comments you may have regarding the taste and quality of instant vs freshly ground roast beans...  

He might be referring to the ground coffee at 7Eleven which can be nice if they don't screw it up, usually not enough water, and maybe no milk

Caffeine irritates the bladder, so, on doctor's orders I abstained

from coffee, (including "caffeine-free", which nevertheless contains

a small amount of caffeine), for a period of eight weeks. Instead,

I drank rooibos tea, which has no caffeine.

Initially, when cutting the coffee/caffeine,  I suffered from intense

headache, which lessened over the next 7-10 days, and which I attributed

to "withdrawal symptoms".

Did I feel any improvement during my period of abstinence? Nope, and

I missed my morning cuppa Joe (usually 2-4 cups with a small amount

of fresh milk added; def no sugar).

I have returned to drinking my habitual French roast arabica, brewed using

a cafetiere, and life is good once more.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, allanos said:

Caffeine irritates the bladder, so, on doctor's orders I abstained

from coffee, (including "caffeine-free", which nevertheless contains

a small amount of caffeine), for a period of eight weeks. Instead,

I drank rooibos tea, which has no caffeine.

Initially, when cutting the coffee/caffeine,  I suffered from intense

headache, which lessened over the next 7-10 days, and which I attributed

to "withdrawal symptoms".

Did I feel any improvement during my period of abstinence? Nope, and

I missed my morning cuppa Joe (usually 2-4 cups with a small amount

of fresh milk added; def no sugar).

I have returned to drinking my habitual French roast arabica, brewed using

a cafetiere, and life is good once more.

So dont listen to drs

14 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So you dont know much about coffee then.

I don’t know much about the coffee at 7-11....  I agree.... 

Is it made from instant or fresh-ground beans ???

Coffee is like wine - there’s a huge amount to know and what I know I’ve hardly scratched the surface of...  

But if you’re saying instant is 90% as good as freshly ground beans, the conversation is already a non-starter....    

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know much about the coffee at 7-11....  I agree.... 

Is it made from instant or fresh-ground beans ???

Coffee is like wine - there’s a huge amount to know and what I know I’ve hardly scratched the surface of...  

But if you’re saying instant is 90% as good as freshly ground beans, the conversation is already a non-starter....    

Ive had fancy coffee. Tastes like coffee with frothed up milk. Maybe 10% better.

Wine is mostly marketing as well. $30 bottle is better than $10 bottle but a $100 bottle is just hype. Ive been to Barossa, Claire Valley, Mclaren Vale.

Lots of marketing and hype.

52 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Try talking about subjects instead of stalking others

Try avoiding shooting your toes off, and generally being an irritating know-it-all.

If you want to criticize others, you should be prepared to cop some flak in return.

Easy enough to put me on ignore if you don't like what I post.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Try avoiding shooting your toes off, and generally being an irritating know-it-all.

If you want to criticize others, you should be prepared to cop some flak in return.

Easy enough to put me on ignore if you don't like what I post.

Coffee is the topic. Stop stalking me.

44 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Ive had fancy coffee. Tastes like coffee with frothed up milk. Maybe 10% better.

Wine is mostly marketing as well. $30 bottle is better than $10 bottle but a $100 bottle is just hype. Ive been to Barossa, Claire Valley, Mclaren Vale.

Lots of marketing and hype.

Its clear you don’t know what you are talking about - its pointless having a discussion on taste with you... we’ll just go round in circles with your dumbed down oversimplification which highlights that you don’t know what you don’t know.... 

IF someone is the type of person who’d argue... why get a BWM in Bangkok when a taxi can take you anywhere you want?...   they are perhaps the same type of person who is happy with fruit wine and instant coffee.....   That may not be you, but there are parallels... 

While quality is subjective - the difference between instant and a coffee properly made from freshly ground beans is night and day... 

... And when I mean properly made, I mean correct grind size, amounts, brew-ratios and timing, extraction times, pre-infusion... etc etc... all different with different brewing techniques from French-Press to Filter, to Moka Pot, to Espresso to Turkish.....    Different origins, different roast.. 

Its complex...  a poor cup of coffee can be made when getting some of the above wrong... 

If you don’t want to understand and prefer to argue any of the above - its better to stick to instant... life is blissful for the ignorant. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

While quality is subjective - the difference between instant and a coffee properly made from freshly ground beans is night and day... 

Yet in blind taste tests people will often choose cheaper stuff. This has been proven with wine,  beer and whisky too.

So that means a lot of it is marketing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"So, the paper filter doesn't necessarily block the cholesterol-raising compound, but the fine particles carrying it. Switching from a coffee maker or French press with a metal mesh filter to one with a paper filter (or adding a paper filter) can cut more than 90 percent of cafestol."

https://nutritionfacts.org/2022/09/20/paper-filtered-coffee-and-cholesterol/#:~:text=So%2C the paper filter doesn,than 90 percent of cafestol.

Along with the finest grounds that will make it thru my SS drip filter, so no sludge at the bottom of cup

Interesting .. 

Coffee drinkers do seem to live longer and have lower cancer rates overall, but coffee may worsen acid reflux disease, bone loss, glaucoma, and urinary incontinence. The bottom line is that I don’t recommend drinking coffee, but mainly because every cup of coffee is a lost opportunity to drink something even more healthful, such as a cup of green tea, which wouldn’t have the adverse cholesterol consequences.”

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Interesting .. 

Coffee drinkers do seem to live longer and have lower cancer rates overall, but coffee may worsen acid reflux disease, bone loss, glaucoma, and urinary incontinence. The bottom line is that I don’t recommend drinking coffee, but mainly because every cup of coffee is a lost opportunity to drink something even more healthful, such as a cup of green tea, which wouldn’t have the adverse cholesterol consequences.”

High Cholesterol people live longer - google it. 

Just now, Sparktrader said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet in blind taste tests people will often choose cheaper stuff. This has been proven with wine,  beer and whisky too.

So that means a lot of it is marketing.

It proves that a lot of people don’t have taste....  many people will become familiar with cheap stuff and its that familiarity they choose - they don’t ‘know’ what quality is because its alien to them.

Many wouldn’t know a Macallan from a Red-label or a fruit wine from a Barolo...    that doesn’t speak of the whiskey or the wine but of simple ignorance.

And its the same with coffee....    IF someone can’t tell the difference between an instant coffee and a good fresh coffee that highlights ignorance rather than quality - there’s nothing wrong with that unless throwing forward ridiculous statements such as instant is 90% as good as fresh-ground coffee... 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It proves that a lot of people don’t have taste....  many people will become familiar with cheap stuff and its that familiarity they choose - they don’t ‘know’ what quality is because its alien to them.

Many wouldn’t know a Macallan from a Red-label or a fruit wine from a Barolo...    that doesn’t speak of the whiskey or the wine but of simple ignorance.

And its the same with coffee....    IF someone can’t tell the difference between an instant coffee and a good fresh coffee that highlights ignorance rather than quality - there’s nothing wrong with that unless throwing forward ridiculous statements such as instant is 90% as good as fresh-ground coffee... 

Ive had 50 or so single malts. Going up in price 50% doesnt mean better.

25 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

A latte has heaps of milk in it. The taste difference isnt that much. Unless you drink black coffee there isnt much difference.

Ok... now you are bringing ‘latte’ into it... 

... Are you now arguing that a Latte made with instant is 90% as good as a Latte made with decent fresh-ground coffee because of the milk the difference can’t be tasted ????

I can tell you it most definitely can be tasted... 

I can taste the difference between a Latte I make and a Latte my Wife make’s from the same beans, same amount, same grind setting, same espresso machine.. 

Why ??....   because my Wife tamps too hard, the flow though the coffee is slow, its over-extracted and is slightly bitter....

Espresso - 19gms of coffee... (tamped by myself) 38-40gms of ‘drink’ extracted over 30 seconds - with pre-infusion.... 

... then of course is achieving the correct texture of milk.... 

If you’re not sure about any of that - 7-11 instant will be fine... 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok... now you are bringing ‘latte’ into it... 

... Are you now arguing that a Latte made with instant is 90% as good as a Latte made with decent fresh-ground coffee because of the milk the difference can’t be tasted ????

I can tell you it most definitely can be tasted... 

I can taste the difference between a Latte I make and a Latte my Wife make’s from the same beans, same amount, same grind setting, same espresso machine.. 

Why ??....   because my Wife tamps too hard, the flow though the coffee is slow, its over-extracted and is slightly bitter....

Espresso - 19gms of coffee... (tamped by myself) 38-40gms of ‘drink’ extracted over 30 seconds - with pre-infusion.... 

... then of course is achieving the correct texture of milk.... 

If you’re not sure about any of that - 7-11 instant will be fine... 

Milk dilutes flavour. Up to you. Its just coffee.

34 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Milk dilutes flavour. Up to you. Its just coffee.

Another oversimplification of something you don’t understand... things like texture, depth, complexity... milk changes that... An espresso is already a very strong in flavour, so yes, its diluted somewhat but not to the extent that milk makes one coffee unrecognisable from another....  and most certainly not to the extent that milk makes a latte made with instant unrecognisable from that made with fresh ground coffee.  

... unless of course you can’t tell the difference anyway and think ‘its just coffee - its all the same’...:whistling:

in which case, go ahead.. make instant and dilute it with milk or do whatever you are going to do with it, its doesn’t matter to you at all because you can’t tell the difference....