Health benefits by quitting Coffee?

Hummin

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I believe in quality, and during my last 8 months travelling, I consumed alot of bad coffe. Bad hotel coffe, cheap <deleted> coffe, insta coffe, and lost my joy with it. 

We travel with our own.  When hitting shops, usually order Cappuccino, as more forgiving.  More pastry run than coffee.

55 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I prefer using moka express or aeropress for my coffe, and useally do not drink more than two of those, but when travelling there will be more than home. 

I guess more quality coffe would do it for me and not necessarily every day. 

Yes, for sure its the quality.

I started with a Moka Pot with Illy Decaf grounds - There is a technique there, I often got a burnt taste, used a lot of coffee and got a small cup, along with melting a couple of handles.

I am glad I was encouraged to use the clever dripper, I was told the paper would absorb the caffeine (?) - my only experience of filter is stewed hotel coffee. I enjoy the taste, a lot lighter and fruitier, and quite enjoy the experience and routine, although I need to get an electric grinder.

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

You had me until this oxymoron!

lol - I am still a little wary, about the old stomach. 

Old habits die hard, I think I will move to black soon, because I feel like it spoils the natural fruitiness of the beans.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

although it is quite difficult to overdose on coffee

Some time ago I read on Wikipedia that more than 10 shots Espresso per day might be poisonous. This is why I make sure I don't drink more than that - and 10 is anyhow enough for one day.

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i started to have some stomach pains earlier this year

As far as I remember there is a difference which "coffee" you drink. I think Espresso is less problem for the stomach compared to regular (filter) coffee. But it's long time ago that I read about that. Now I drink only espresso and I don't have any stomach problems.

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Not a heavy coffe drinker max 2 - 4 cups a day,

????

I drink only one (sometimes 2) small coffee cups. Before noon only. If you are a healthy person, one cup every morning won't hurt. Just keep in mind that you need to drink enough water. That is the health key. 

I think more of bottom line you cannot get: Just read that scientists combined several worldwide studies to draw the current combined conclusion concerning coffee and health:

Result: Coffee is even promoting health for up to 6 cups (maybe even more - of course it depends on the individual). This means for me: I will drink coffee as much as I like (6 cups are much less than I consumed while working, now retired). The problem is only to find my highly esteemed Blue Mountain Coffee in a decent coffee shop here.

Edited by moogradod

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

4 is a lot. 2 to 3 is regular.

One of my US team members on a project in Japan (clever chemical process engineer) drank 50 mugs a day. Claimed it had no affect on him whatever and didn't stop him getting good sleep. 

He brought with him to Japan 2 Starbucks giant white filter coffemakers plus a large supply of Starbucks ground coffee normal strength; 1 machine set up close to his desk, one at home. 

His US wife was with him, she also drank 50 mugs a day. At the time he and wife both about 60 years old. Both fit, they rode bicycles together about 5 to 10 km every evening after work.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

One of my US team members on a project in Japan (clever chemical process engineer) drank 50 mugs a day. Claimed it had no affect on him whatever and didn't stop him getting good sleep. 

He brought with him to Japan 2 Starbucks giant white filter coffemakers plus a large supply of Starbucks ground coffee normal strength; 1 machine set up close to his desk, one at home. 

His US wife was with him, she also drank 50 mugs a day. At the time he and wife both about 60 years old. Both fit, they rode bicycles together about 5 to 10 km every evening after work.

That's what I call affictionados. 50 mugs are really special. Didn't the liquid alone kill them ? Obviously not. Everybody is different and some stand out. I could not eat more than 70 hot dogs within 10 minutes. Some can.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

Some people can not tolerate coffee. If i drink a cup of coffee i won't be able to sleep well that night, so i don't drink it. Coffee is suppose to be good for your gut health thou,

I recommend you quit sugar and get more exercise also cut down on meat, eat more veg etc. This will improve your health.

Edited by Don Chance

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Coffee no sugar, cant see how its bad unless drink too much.

Coffee stops hunger so good for weight loss.

Maybe for some people . 

Doesn't work for me 6 to 8 cups(mugs) a day still sleep as a baby and eat like a horse .

It’s no secret that Americans love coffee — more than 60 percent of us drink it on a daily basis. For the bulk of the population, it’s the most popular way to get that much-needed morning caffeine boost, followed by tea and soda. And while caffeine has been a cultural cornerstone for centuries, an increasing number of weight-loss supplements contain caffeine, often characterizing it as an appetite suppressant. But can caffeine really curb hunger? 

In short, the results are somewhat muddy. In 2014, a study in Food Research International found that consuming coffee over a four-week period boosted participants’ serotonin, a hormone that’s known to curb cravings and suppress appetite. But a 2016 study by researchers at the State University of New York showed that caffeine actually increased food intake in mice. And more recently, in 2018, a study in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that drinking a tiny amount of caffeine caused participants to eat 10 percent less afterwards — but didn’t significantly impact appetite overall. 

Some experts also warn that too much caffeine can prompt insomnia, increased blood pressure and other health problems. And while some studies indicate that the energy-boosting stimulant can curb hunger in the short term, there’s little evidence that it leads to lasting weight loss.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read on Wikipedia that more than 10 shots Espresso per day might be poisonous. This is why I make sure I don't drink more than that - and 10 is anyhow enough for one day.

According to Professor Ben Selinger of the Australian National University, it is extremely difficult to overdose on coffee because the body says enough. I am fortunate to have a similar mechanism with alcohol, 2 - 3 drinks is enough for me. I have to force myself to drink more than that amount.

9 Unique Benefits of Coffee

"Noticing" anything or "feeling OK with/without it" is the usual red herring. Would you notice the progress of AD slowing or your liver fighting off that Chang? Well, no.

I have at least one big mug of coffee daily. If I'm hitting the gym, I'll have some not long before. But it happens that I like coffee. Black. Strong.

Good gawd, the binary thinking here. I drink a big mug of tea in the morning ALSO. WOT???

10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Black Tea

Hedge your bets, ha ha. The numbers can offer some evidence. Mine are staying where they should be, so there's that anyway.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

I am glad I was encouraged to use the clever dripper, I was told the paper would absorb the caffeine (?) - my only experience of filter is stewed hotel coffee. I enjoy the taste, a lot lighter and fruitier, and quite enjoy the experience and routine, although I need to get an electric grinder.

"So, the paper filter doesn't necessarily block the cholesterol-raising compound, but the fine particles carrying it. Switching from a coffee maker or French press with a metal mesh filter to one with a paper filter (or adding a paper filter) can cut more than 90 percent of cafestol."

https://nutritionfacts.org/2022/09/20/paper-filtered-coffee-and-cholesterol/#:~:text=So%2C the paper filter doesn,than 90 percent of cafestol.

Along with the finest grounds that will make it thru my SS drip filter, so no sludge at the bottom of cup

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

According to Professor Ben Selinger of the Australian National University, it is extremely difficult to overdose on coffee because the body says enough. I am fortunate to have a similar mechanism with alcohol, 2 - 3 drinks is enough for me. I have to force myself to drink more than that amount.

That reminds me of that night when I was really unhappy, and I decided to get drunk.

I bought a bottle of whisky and almost finished it. Almost. With about one or two drinks left in the bottle my body told me I had enough, and I stopped drinking. 

The next day I was tired but no headache or hangover. ???? 

2 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Some people can not tolerate coffee. If i drink a cup of coffee i won't be able to sleep well that night, so i don't drink it. Coffee is suppose to be good for your gut health thou,

I recommend you quit sugar and get more exercise also cut down on meat, eat more veg etc. This will improve your health.

Meat is far better than veges. Just google nutritional profiles.

1980s idea that meat was bad, 40 years out of date.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Only difference I noticed was I missed the pleasure of having a cup of coffee in the AM.

As always, YMMV.

NO coffee...that would mean I'd have to think of something else to do with that hour routine every morning; heat the water, nuke the cup, add sugar, grind, weigh, stack, pour & stir.   Chill on the veranda w/dog for another great sunrise.

Sun or not, I'm there, so it's great sunrise.

Just now, KhunLA said:

NO coffee...that would mean I'd have to think of something else to do with that hour routine every morning; heat the water, nuke the cup, add sugar, grind, weigh, stack, pour & stir.   Chill on the veranda w/dog for another great sunrise.

Sun or not, I'm there, so it's great sunrise.

Havent added sugar to coffee in 20 years

• Like 1

Used to drink coffee by the gallon.

Decided to quit the smokes (Champix) & figured coffee would have to go as well.

That was Dec 9th 2009.

Never smoked since then but occasional coffee ok. Cup-a-tea now.

Guess you could say coffee, or the lack thereof, played a role in improving my health.????????

I’m a coffee addict - I travel with my own coffee.

Only ever in the morning though (before noon on regular day).

I can’t ever imagine giving it up - I’m not aware of any health benefits of giving up coffee.

I’m aware of potential health risks of ’too much caffeine’... but that is a different conversation from the moderate two strong cups of coffee before lunch-time. 

I’ve had the discussion on Coffee vs Booze...  

I love my booze - I love craft beer, I love wine and I love whisky... I even love a nice G&T late afternoon on the beach when on holiday....

But... I’d if forced into a choice I’d happily give up booze over ‘good’ coffee.... 

I’d also rather have no coffee at all than instant.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Used to drink coffee by the gallon.

Decided to quit the smokes (Champix) & figured coffee would have to go as well.

That was Dec 9th 2009.

Never smoked since then but occasional coffee ok. Cup-a-tea now.

Guess you could say coffee, or the lack thereof, played a role in improving my health.????????

How so? Id say giving up cigs did. My dad drinks coffee 5 a day. Fitter than people half his age.

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m a coffee addict - I travel with my own coffee.

Only ever in the morning though (before noon on regular day).

I can’t ever imagine giving it up - I’m not aware of any health benefits of giving up coffee.

I’m aware of potential health risks of ’too much caffeine’... but that is a different conversation from the moderate two strong cups of coffee before lunch-time. 

I’ve had the discussion on Coffee vs Booze...  

I love my booze - I love craft beer, I love wine and I love whisky... I even love a nice G&T late afternoon on the beach when on holiday....

But... I’d if forced into a choice I’d happily give up booze over ‘good’ coffee.... 

I’d also rather have no coffee at all than instant.

Good instant is 90% the same as the pretentious stuff.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

I believe in quality, and during my last 8 months travelling, I consumed alot of bad coffe. Bad hotel coffe, cheap <deleted> coffe, insta coffe, and lost my joy with it. 

There's a definite skills in making coffee, buy good beans or ground coffee and still screw it up. Mokapot does require more work but once you've found how to get the best coffee out of it it works well. Even instant coffee can be ruined with different quantities of coffee, milk and too hot

• Thumbs Up 1