Health benefits by quitting Coffee?

Hummin

Anyone quit drinking coffee here? 

Just had Covid, and for obvious reasons did not drink any coffee during Covid, and now I really do not feel to start again. Had a five nights post covid I did not sleep at all almost, and wondering if that is the caffeine addiction or just post covid deleted.

Anyway, anyone quit coffe and how did it work out for you?

Not a heavy coffe drinker max 2 - 4 cups a day, and never in the evening.

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Why quit coffee due to covid? I quit alcohol. Coffee is good for you.

During Covid I could not or did not feel for coffee.

Right now also okay with two small meals a day and no hunger or craving anything.

I read there is several benefits quitting coffe. Alcohol I do not drink much either At all before, and after not one drop yet. 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Right now also okay with two small meals a day and no hunger or craving anything.

I read there is several benefits quitting coffe. Alcohol I do not drink much either At all before, and after not one drop yet. 

Benefits of quitting coffee are probably slight unless you are getting the jitters from coffee.

Medical/dietary researchers appear to be puritanical types who want to get us to quit anything we enjoy (IMHO).

For years they have tried to find a health problem with coffee, never anything significant found as a detriment.

So if essentially no detriment to drinking coffee, can one expect a benefit from quitting?

Maybe psychological, the elation that comes from being proactive about your health; which is a good thing.

Try it and see how you feel.

• Thumbs Up 2

No harm to delay start drinking coffe again, and need to see if this insomnia stops soon. I read covid and also stop drinking coffe can create insomnia, but not especially worried, and believe it is temporary effect of one of them. 

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Are you sure that wasn't flu? did you get tested? i had flu and appetite disappeared for weeks, for food and drink, good when it comes back

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

One can read evidence both for and against coffee, the usual benefit claim it's good for heart health. I have two coffees a day.

Caffeine is the active compound in coffee, affecting the central nervous system. Like anything else, moderation is the option to prefer over abuse, although it is quite difficult to overdose on coffee.

• Thumbs Up 1

I drink 2 cups drip Bon Cafe in the morning bcz what the H--- else do I have to do at 4 AM.

But this is the kind of topic where the usual suspects will chime in with the wondrous health benefits of chamomile tea in the morning versus coffee.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

cutting down to non or one coffee a day produced an unexpected benefit; i used to get the nasty headache, since reducing my coffee intake i haven't had one.

That's funny because caffeine is often used as treatment for headaches:

Caffeine can provide relief for a headache.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/does-caffeine-treat-or-trigger-headaches

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Coffee no sugar, cant see how its bad unless drink too much.

Coffee stops hunger so good for weight loss.

Very simple for many people - not all - much better sleep when they don't drink coffee - better sleep equals better health...

Also coffee stimulates cortisol which causes blood sugar levels to rise so not good for diabetics - again not bad for everyone but many people have diabetes or pre diabetes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you sure that wasn't flu? did you get tested? i had flu and appetite disappeared for weeks, for food and drink, good when it comes back

The flue I had before lasted for more than a week, and this was just two days knock out. Wife tested positive for covid the day before me, and her mom before that. 

At least slept 5 hours last night straight, so Im positive no matter continue coffe or not. Nothing wrong  to change routines and habits for awhile, as well the last days only eating two meals, where I decided to do not eat anything after 4 in the afternoon, and see how that will affect me. From 12 hour eating window to 8. 

I do enjoy a cup of chamomile tea with a teaspoon of honey some evenings, if I feel a bit restless, and useally had a good effect on my sleep, and might enjoy that in the morning instead. 

Here is symptoms you might get when withdrawel from caffeine.

Headache is one of them. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/caffeine-withdrawal-symptoms#irritability

Nothing like a good cup of coffeee in the morning. (Good = whatever your preference is; mine is for Nescafe Gold.)

I have heart issues and so have been careful in my personal assessment of coffee's pluses & minuses. 

In my view, not only is one large mug of coffee in the morning perfectly ok for me, but damned essential!

Please note: I learnt recently that there are 2 main kinds of coffee out there, 'robusta' and 'arabica'. Some coffee blends contain both, in different percentages.

Robusta has almost twice the amount of caffiene in it than arabica. You drink 2/3 cups of high-percent robusta, you're gonna be doing the 'cha-cha' at 2am!! 

18 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Nothing like a good cup of coffeee in the morning. (Good = whatever your preference is; mine is for Nescafe Gold.)

I have heart issues and so have been careful in my personal assessment of coffee's pluses & minuses. 

In my view, not only is one large mug of coffee in the morning perfectly ok for me, but damned essential!

Please note: I learnt recently that there are 2 main kinds of coffee out there, 'robusta' and 'arabica'. Some coffee blends contain both, in different percentages.

Robusta has almost twice the amount of caffiene in it than arabica. You drink 2/3 cups of high-percent robusta, you're gonna be doing the 'cha-cha' at 2am!! 

You can be allergic to instant coffee like Nescafe gold, I've switched to ground at home, can come up in allergy tests. Too many instant coffees was one of the reasons i had stomach issues for a while

• Thumbs Up 2

About twenty years back I went through a bad stage of headaches and I mean bad.

I found that a coffee with sugar got rid of the headache.

Working with a Naturopath he cured the headaches and now I drink around three cups of not so strong coffee daily.

All medical reports I read have coffee as good for heart health.

Yes. I gave up for caffeinated coffee for 5 years.

When working full time from home, I used to drink around 6 cups of Nescafe instant during the morning, then developed acid reflux - the doctor, who turned out to be pretty useless, told me to stop the caffeine and gave me some medication. I did knock the Nescafe on the head (which was my only sin, dont drink, gave up smoking years ago), did my own research and managed to control the acid reflux, and dropped the pills.

I did stop for the occasional cappuccino in amazon, and found it to be very strong and made my head spin, but other than that, no bad effect. (I was told that Amazon use Robusta beans?)

I was still drinking 1-2 cups of rancid decaf from Dow Egberts decaf (expensive). The acid reflux vanished. (No ideas what caused the reflux, but it was an intense pain during the night) - I just put it down to the only thing I dropped and that was coffee.

Recently, I was prompted to try some filter coffee, we have a couple of good roasters in Khon Kaen, and is a shame to miss out. I bought a 'clever dripper' a burr grinder and a couple of bags of arabica beans. I feel no different from the times when I was drinking the decaf or when my body was happy to drink 6-8 cups of Nescafe. I now enjoy two no more than two cups of decent coffee (with milk and sugar) - a much more enjoyable experience than any instant.

But other than that, no noticeable health benefits to giving up coffee.

No idea is it good or bad ?

Always drank for 30 + years no lees then 30 mugs of fresh black coffee a day.  was the only drink the coffee machine was ON from the time I woke up to the time went to bed....

When I moved here 19 years ago, drank less coffee, for past 10 year always drink 5 mugs black coffee every morning.....   one Dr in his 60's here seen him many times over the years said to drink less, I told him I do as used to drink 30 cups a day !!!!   

Do have Blood Pressure problems, Another Dr 2 months ago [looked to be just out of short pants]  [on my 3 monthly check up] said if my BP is low drink another cup of coffee or 2 as this will rise it....    Yesterday morning was bad blurred almost passing out ---  BP was 101/58.   after 6 mugs of black coffee BP was 147/77......... so maybe it works ??

Appears every DR/Medical person has different ideas on most things

1 minute ago, Tanna said:

About twenty years back I went through a bad stage of headaches and I mean bad.

I found that a coffee with sugar got rid of the headache.

Working with a Naturopath he cured the headaches and now I drink around three cups of not so strong coffee daily.

All medical reports I read have coffee as good for heart health.

10 years ago I had horrible headache, but it did fade away. And I mean seriously headache for a long period, and no dr or myself had mo idea what it could be or the reason. Several cognitive tests and scans showed nothing wrong. 

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yes. I gave up for caffeinated coffee for 5 years.

When working full time from home, I used to drink around 6 cups of Nescafe instant during the morning, then developed acid reflux - the doctor, who turned out to be pretty useless, told me to stop the caffeine and gave me some medication. I did knock the Nescafe on the head (which was my only sin, dont drink, gave up smoking years ago), did my own research and managed to control the acid reflux, and dropped the pills.

I did stop for the occasional cappuccino in amazon, and found it to be very strong and made my head spin, but other than that, no bad effect. (I was told that Amazon use Robusta beans?)

I was still drinking 1-2 cups of rancid decaf from Dow Egberts decaf (expensive). The acid reflux vanished. (No ideas what caused the reflux, but it was an intense pain during the night) - I just put it down to the only thing I dropped and that was coffee.

Recently, I was prompted to try some filter coffee, we have a couple of good roasters in Khon Kaen, and is a shame to miss out. I bought a 'clever dripper' a burr grinder and a couple of bags of arabica beans. I feel no different from the times when I was drinking the decaf or when my body was happy to drink 6-8 cups of Nescafe. I now enjoy two no more than two cups of decent coffee (with milk and sugar) - a much more enjoyable experience than any instant.

But other than that, no noticeable health benefits to giving up coffee.

I prefer using moka express or aeropress for my coffe, and useally do not drink more than two of those, but when travelling there will be more than home. 

I guess more quality coffe would do it for me and not necessarily every day. 

Coffee in moderation (1-2 cups a day) is fine for most people if consumed early morning.

Main reason to quit altogether would be if someone had GERD. Caffeine of any sort can worsen GERD.

Or if someone suffered from anxiety as caffeine in any form an worsen this.

These aside,  for most people there is no advantage to completely stop coffee.

Coffee is often a factor in insomnia but that is usually due to taking it too late in the day. Stick to first thing after getting up and should be OK

• Like 1