Health benefits by quitting Coffee?

Hummin

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar doesn't have to be the enemy, trouble is people who eat loads of sugar also eat loads of fatty junk food. I'm fine with sugar in fact I don't drink coke anymore i just add sugar to water after exercise

. . . loads of other carbs as well, including those from junk foods. Extra calories from any source are then unhelpful.  

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

A bit outdated. More like 80% now. Starbucks influence, no doubt. ????

https://britishcoffeeassociation.org/coffee-consumption/

"80% of UK households buy instant coffee for in-home consumption, particularly those aged 65 and older"

This is a survey of UK households.

I think of the UK as a nation of tea drinkers.

If there was an instant tea available would people in the UK drink it?

Additionally, it seems to say only that they buy instant coffee, is it what they drink at home on a daily basis?

Again, I don't know but among my acquaintances in the US their coffee drinking habits have gone and continue to go in the opposite direction from instant.  More people grinding beans, using uber-coffee makers, buying "artisanal" varieties of coffee beans, etc.

Now I have been very wrong about people's coffee drinking habits in the past.

When Starbuck's first started I used to ask "Who is gonna pay $3 for a cup of coffee?".

Turns out almost everybody.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But also look at what came first....  a single Origin Guatemalan coffee...   so people do have taste !!! 

I need to go out to drink coffee. Even better if the café has a nice view. Do you know of any places in Bangkok that have a range of coffee from different countries?

I was spoiled when I was younger, the local shopping mall had a place called Coffee Emporium that stocked coffee from all around the world. They'd happily make you a shot of whatever you chose for an extra 50 cents. 

The place was started by Macedonians then taken over by Lebanese so they had decent coffee, not the swill that Aussies like ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Thumbs Up 1

It always surprises me how these discussions about preferences veer towards the eternal words of Mick Jagger in Satisfaction:

"He can't be a man cuz he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me..."

Depending on what coffee some drink I am either a snob or a peasant.

Oh well, life goes on regardless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdemundo said:

It always surprises me how these discussions about preferences veer towards the eternal words of Mick Jagger in Satisfaction:

"He can't be a man cuz he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me..."

Depending on what coffee some drink I am either a snob or a peasant.

Oh well, life goes on regardless.

Pretty much everything comes down to a knob measuring contest, coffee, motorbike, sport equipment, car etc

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cdemundo said:

This is a survey of UK households.

Well, yes, but you'll note the earlier knee-jerk that it applies worldwide. The UK is the center of the universe on the forum and the only standard of reference, esp. in matters of (to mention a few) Economics, Tourism, Police Oversight, Thai Regulations, Crime Solving, Construction Engineering, Culinary Judgment, Beauty Contests, Spelling, and Driving Instruction. A few other countries are sometimes recognized for occasional condescension, a penal colony, another large non-English-speaking former colony full of hillbillies and bumpkins, a pizza factory--that's about it, far as the Western world's concerned.

So (pro tip), when you want to quote a Credible Authority here, choose one in the UK.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I need to go out to drink coffee. Even better if the café has a nice view. Do you know of any places in Bangkok that have a range of coffee from different countries?

Sadly no...   I brew my own coffee.

- At home with my own espresso machine. 

- When travelling with a Picopresso (hand pump espresso machine)

- Or at work (Picopresso / French Press / Turkish coffee pot) - depends on how much time I have and what I want. 

I have a few different coffee’s but nothing that would offer worldly choice.

I usually order from CoffeeCultureAsia - they have a decent selection, decent pricing and also offer taster sets (I usually go through about a KG per month).

I don’t really recall being in a cafe in Bangkok thinking wow, that was an amazing coffee.

Neither do I recall thinking, urgh... that was terrible. 

When out on the road, a long drive etc and I want a hit - I’d get a double espresso from Amazon coffee etc.. its usually pretty poor so I’ll add sugar and milk to ‘de-taste’ it and take out the bitterness. 

There - health benefits of coffee - staying alert on the road !!! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly no...   I brew my own coffee.

- At home with my own espresso machine. 

- When travelling with a Picopresso (hand pump espresso machine)

- Or at work (Picopresso / French Press / Turkish coffee pot) - depends on how much time I have and what I want. 

I have a few different coffee’s but nothing that would offer worldly choice.

I usually order from CoffeeCultureAsia - they have a decent selection, decent pricing and also offer taster sets (I usually go through about a KG per month).

I don’t really recall being in a cafe in Bangkok thinking wow, that was an amazing coffee.

Neither do I recall thinking, urgh... that was terrible. 

When out on the road, a long drive etc and I want a hit - I’d get a double espresso from Amazon coffee etc.. its usually pretty poor so I’ll add sugar and milk to ‘de-taste’ it and take out the bitterness. 

There - health benefits of coffee - staying alert on the road !!! 

Great health benefit - staying alert on the road! Avoiding accidents and saving lives! ???? 

• Like 1

I have really no taste for coffe anymore, and Im quite hyper after I had covid, and also changing the diet slightly. Since I had covid 2 weeks ago, 5 kg down from 92. Only 7kg left to start eating 2500cal a day 16 hours fasting. 

And also do more intensive work out in the gym. 

Anyone else feel their taste for coffe is gone? Fruit and green  Tee taste good at least

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I have really no taste for coffe anymore, and Im quite hyper after I had covid, and also changing the diet slightly. Since I had covid 2 weeks ago, 5 kg down from 92. Only 7kg left to start eating 2500cal a day 16 hours fasting. 

And also do more intensive work out in the gym. 

Anyone else feel their taste for coffe is gone? Fruit and green  Tee taste good at least

My taste for coffee disappeared after my recent flu, the smell of the ground coffee made me nauseous, everything back to normal about 4-6 weeks later

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

You are correct!

Better yet take a nap and then drive fully alert...

to be fair... If I’m so knackered that I’m capable of taking a nap in the car (in a lay-by or car park), I should not be driving at all or anywhere near the open road !!!... 

But... on a long journey... a coffee can add a little ‘pep-me-up’... as does a stopping off for 15 mins etc.. 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, richard_smith237 said:

to be fair... If I’m so knackered that I’m capable of taking a nap in the car (in a lay-by or car park), I should not be driving at all or anywhere near the open road !!!... 

But... on a long journey... a coffee can add a little ‘pep-me-up’... as does a stopping off for 15 mins etc.. 

Agreed that taking a nap is the best, but there are certain days/times that there wasnt time for one, hence the coffee...

• Thumbs Up 1

From the movie Airplane! (1980):

Young Boy with Coffee : Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.

Little Girl : Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you. [takes coffee] 

Little Girl : Oh, won't you sit down?

Young Boy with Coffee : Cream?

Little Girl : No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

download.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 11/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, Hummin said:

Anyway, anyone quit coffee and how did it work out for you?

Sorry if already mentioned as I did not read all 5 pages but....

For myself one large benefit is for what ever reason stopping coffee really lowers my BP

On coffee 145/90 off coffee 113/72 (averages)

Could be I am one who is BP sensitive to caffeine I dont know?

But I know I have tested it many times & yes lowers a lot if caffeine is stopped.

It is not that I feel any bad effects from coffee/caffeine as I do not.

But I have checked BP within 20 min of ingesting & always up quite a bit

After days of 2-3 a day up all the time & the reverse is true when I stop a few days

I am an avid cyclist & coffee is part of out routine so I go back & forth but yes I notice that in regards to BP

• 1 year later...