Health benefits by quitting Coffee?

Hummin

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

22 posts out of 89 responses on the subject of quitting coffee = 25%. By an instant coffee drinker.

IMO there are more health benefits to be gained by leaving this thread.

And how many health benefits is it by quitting coffe? 

I drink black coffe with no sugar and no milk. And prefer fresh grinded coffe. I saw the discussion avout similarities absout wine, and I can agree. The way it is handled, stored and served have alot to say, and even the minor differences in cup, glass, shape, temperatur makes also differences, that any shop like 7/11 and any Amazon is by far from serving an optimal product. I have tasted so many cups bad coffe in Amazon, and do not understand why I kept on spending money in those shops. One out of 100 had decent coffe handled and served as it should by their own standards is my experience. 

Been reading and there is quite a few health benefits by quitting coffe for some, but as most state, there is more benefits to actually drink one or two cups a day. 

However bad news for those who like black coffe like me

Bad News, Coffee Drinkers: You Might Be a Psychopath if You Like Your Coffee Black

Enjoy the reading

https://www.rd.com/article/coffee-black-psychopath-study/

Fresh hot black coffee made from good beans and roasted well - is simply amazing - just the smell alone is intoxicating.

I will not drink instant coffee as it is normally not even remotely close in quality to good coffee.

Coffee is quite bad for my health (causes sleep problems and glucose spikes from cortisol and I am a diabetic) but I still love the occasional cup in the morning!

Lucky for me it doesn't cause any headaches or stomach problems etc or I would never drink it...

I have a dozen coffee bushes and it is easy to grow - harvesting, washing, drying and roasting take some time but it is fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

22 posts out of 89 responses on the subject of quitting coffee = 25%. By an instant coffee drinker.

90% of coffee drinkers drink instant coffee at home. The health benefits are the same for instant or not.

Maybe you should research topics first before embarrassing yourself.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The very limited possible health benefits of quitting coffee have been explained by Sheryl.

But is OP drinking pure black coffee? 

If not,  the health benefits of quitting sugar and artificial "creamers" are more real. Whereas coffee has health benefits,  this junk has no benefits at all.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another oversimplification of something you don’t understand... things like texture, depth, complexity... milk changes that... An espresso is already a very strong in flavour, so yes, its diluted somewhat but not to the extent that milk makes one coffee unrecognisable from another....  and most certainly not to the extent that milk makes a latte made with instant unrecognisable from that made with fresh ground coffee.  

... unless of course you can’t tell the difference anyway and think ‘its just coffee - its all the same’...:whistling:

in which case, go ahead.. make instant and dilute it with milk or do whatever you are going to do with it, its doesn’t matter to you at all because you can’t tell the difference.... 

Topic is health benefits not how much you like a style of coffee. Texture is irrevelant.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

The very limited possible health benefits of quitting coffee have been explained by Sheryl.

But is OP drinking pure black coffee? 

If not,  the health benefits of quitting sugar and artificial "creamers" are more real. Whereas coffee has health benefits,  this junk has no benefits at all.

Milk has health benefits.

I have read that the most reliable athletic performance enhancing drug is caffeine.

I took a course from a physical therapist who prepared athletes for the NBA and NFL rookie combines as part of his business.

He recommended they accustomed themselves to coffee before workouts leading up to the combine and drink the same amount on the day of the combine to enhance performance,

He had elementary school age children and on days that they had exams he would have them drink coffee.

He was really an enthusiast for a lot of supplements etc.; I couldn't imagine giving a school aged kid caffeine to improve test performance but he was convinced that it worked.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think your comment below nullifies the validity of any comments you may have regarding the taste and quality of instant vs freshly ground roast beans...  

I am partial to what I make at home.

A lot of coffee at 7-11, Dunkin', and (strangely popular) McDonalds that people swear by doesn't taste that great to me.

However, I am aware that numerous blind taste test of wine, beer, cola, coffee people who express a strong preference often can't tell one drink from another in a blind taste test.

Here is one with unexpected results:

https://thebolditalic.com/guess-the-loser-of-our-blind-coffee-taste-test-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-145e59e4b7dc

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The thread is about health benefits of quitting coffee... not whether 7-11 has good coffee... ????

see what I did there  ?????? 

Surely a 7/11 purhase, with a coffee, will bring health benefits?????????( but not between 2-5pm.)

Had a nice caffeine rush this morning after my first cup in 10 days.

Slept more than 16 hours yesterday util today, so some kind of release of the insomnia happened after the 5 hours I managed the night before. I had Insomnia for longer periods before, and was afraid I had a fallback, but I believe I managed this time to. As before no drugs used to try to sleep. 

Insomnia is horrible when it first manage to take a grip on you! 

Anyway, will tey to drink less coffe in the future, because the feeling I have now, is the effect you really want when enjoying a cup of coffe. Slightly elevated happy and high!

22 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Havent added sugar to coffee in 20 years

When my son was at uni in Bkk he often asked 2 or 3 buddies to come home with him to our big condo to do their team projects etc.

Son grew up with fresh coffee no sugar. He tried to convert some of his buddies from 3in1 to fresh, no success ever.

Most of his buddies knew where we had a sugar container and I always encouraged them to make coffee, Milo etc., take cans of Coke etc., and to raid the cookies or left over chicken or anything in the fridge. One guy headed straight for the fridge and made ham and  cheese sandwiches.

Most of them added 1 to 3 more spoons of sugar on top of the large amount of sugar already in 3in1.

Not moderation.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

When my son was at uni in Bkk he often asked 2 or 3 buddies to come home with him to our big condo to do their team projects etc.

Son grew up with fresh coffee no sugar. He tried to convert some of his buddies from 3in1 to fresh, no success ever.

Most of his buddies knew where we had a sugar container and I always encouraged them to make coffee, Milo etc., take cans of Coke etc., and to raid the cookies or left over chicken or anything in the fridge. One guy headed straight for the fridge and made ham and  cheese sandwiches.

Most of them added 1 to 3 more spoons of sugar on top of the large amount of sugar already in 3in1.

Not moderation.

Sugar doesn't have to be the enemy, trouble is people who eat loads of sugar also eat loads of fatty junk food. I'm fine with sugar in fact I don't drink coke anymore i just add sugar to water after exercise

8 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I am partial to what I make at home.

A lot of coffee at 7-11, Dunkin', and (strangely popular) McDonalds that people swear by doesn't taste that great to me.

However, I am aware that numerous blind taste test of wine, beer, cola, coffee people who express a strong preference often can't tell one drink from another in a blind taste test.

Here is one with unexpected results:

https://thebolditalic.com/guess-the-loser-of-our-blind-coffee-taste-test-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-145e59e4b7dc

Is it really unexpected that Starbucks came last ??? ????

But also look at what came first....  a single Origin Guatemalan coffee...   so people do have taste !!! 

The issue I find with excellent coffee... It's so good I want more and too much is clearly not good for you. I also prefer Arabica beans to Robusta. Arabica has less caffeine and is generally smoother whereas Robusta has approximately 30-50 more caffeine and is generally less smooth and more bitter....   

Thus from a health perspective - its better to drink a couple of strong Arabica’s, which are more also more enjoyable (for me at least), than a couple of strong Robusta’s which may have too much caffeine in them and lead to caffeine headaches.

Thus: I’d rather have a ‘couple’ of something I enjoy more... than something which is strong that I enjoy slightly less...    

This also leads to....  Decaf - when enjoying the taste of quality coffee so much, is it worth simply having decaf to avoid the potential of caffeine headaches if having too many coffees ?

Edited by richard_smith237

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But also look at what came first....  a single Origin Guatemalan coffee...   so people do have taste !!! 

The issue I find with excellent coffee... It's so good I want more and too much is clearly not good for you. I also prefer Arabica beans to Robusta. Arabica has less caffeine and is generally smoother whereas Robusta has approximately 30-50 more caffeine and is generally less smooth and more bitter....   

Thus from a health perspective - its better to drink a couple of strong Arabica’s, which are more also more enjoyable (for me at least), than a couple of strong Robusta’s which may have too much caffeine in them and lead to caffeine headaches.

Thus: I’d rather have a ‘couple’ of something I enjoy more... than something which is strong that I enjoy slightly less...    

This also leads to....  Decaf - when enjoying the taste of quality coffee so much, is it worth simply having decaf to avoid the potential of caffeine headaches if having too many coffees ?

I'm having my robusta in the morning to try and use it up, Arabica afternoon, don't think I'll buy the Vietnam robusta again

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Their taste testers are just out of nappies!

Who doesn't think this is sponsored content?

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I have read that the most reliable athletic performance enhancing drug is caffeine.

I still have a Double-Espresso (with plenty of sugar) before I play football...

Even though I’m older now - I’m still playing 2-3x per week...  A coffee definitely adds a ‘little sharpener’ to my performance...  which, is just a fun but competitive kick-about, but its improved with a little edge caffeine gives me, especially when playing with and against younger, faster, sharper lads in the 20’s and 30’s....  (perhaps placebo, perhaps real....  I think the effect is real !).

Health benefits - certainly a ’sharpener’ for sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Not moderation.

Seems to me that's how @thaibeachlovers helped give himself pre-diabetes.