Where to make passport id copy for police?

kevinsan

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Got it! Paper and phone.

I got a color copy of the tax sticker rolled up in a standard holder on the bike showing only the number & date. This, after a real one was stolen once. But I also carry the receipt in my wallet. They ain't gettin' ME!????

My tax disc fell out so like you i keep a colour copy but at home to use as a replacement, going to transport office for a replacement is a PITA so I'm not doing that again

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My tax disc fell out so like you i keep a colour copy but at home to use as a replacement, going to transport office for a replacement is a PITA so I'm not doing that again

Such a PITA that when mine was stolen, the local bike testing outlet told me just to carry the receipt, not bother trying to get a new one. So I did; was never stopped to test the validity of that advice.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

US Passport holders card order Passport ID Card. Valid only in US but it has all your passport information on a drivers license size card. 

Somebody said that the card gets disrespected here, too unusual. 'Course, talk's cheap on the 'net.

It also costs. How much is it? $50?

19 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here’s more anecdote:  I have been stopped a couple of times and asked for my Passport. 

I reckon BS on that as yer average Thai policeman would not know what he's looking at if he was to see your passport and he wouldn't want to embarrass himself in trying to prove there's a problem with it. .

Calling me a liar - I see... 

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Got it! Paper and phone.

I got a color copy of the tax sticker rolled up in a standard holder on the bike showing only the number & date. This, after a real one was stolen once. But I also carry the receipt in my wallet. They ain't gettin' ME!????

I have heard of the tax ‘squares’ getting stollen from the bikes...   So, I put a ‘colour photo copy’ in the tax ‘square’ holder... and keep the real tax ‘square’ under the seat with insurance and photo-copy of the green book....    (the only issue, the sun has discoloured  / bleached the photo copy so I’ll have to do another !).

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have heard of the tax ‘squares’ getting stollen from the bikes...   So, I put a ‘colour photo copy’ in the tax ‘square’ holder... and keep the real tax ‘square’ under the seat with insurance and photo-copy of the green book....    (the only issue, the sun has discoloured  / bleached the photo copy so I’ll have to do another !).

I don't think they get stolen, much more likely they fall off as mine did, screw came loose, same happens to number plates.

I wasn't sure whether to use original or copy in tax disc tube, i went with original and check screws aren't loose

22 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I reckon BS on that as yer average Thai policeman would not know what he's looking at if he was to see your passport and he wouldn't want to embarrass himself in trying to prove there's a problem with it. .

Some dont know ... like the pasport check leaving the country and the discovery my passport had expired.....  then it got pointed out its the issue date....

I carry a color copy, with the visa printed on the reverse side in my wallet. 

In well over a decade never once has any law enforcement or other official told me I needed to carry my original passport, which stays locked in the safe. Carrying around your passport with your visa is extreme. The hassle required to replace them both would not be worth it. 

Defy stupidity. 

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't think they get stolen, much more likely they fall off as mine did, screw came loose, same happens to number plates.

I wasn't sure whether to use original or copy in tax disc tube, i went with original and check screws aren't loose

Well, at least they don’t turn into a german bread (my own typo - too late to correct). 

I did hear about theft but never witnessed it...  not sure if it really happens or not.

But, if its a hassle to replace.. better to keep under the seat and have a fake on show. 

I wonder what would happen IF the BiB were to stop me, recognise it as a fake but can present the real one upon request ?....  

(reality is - its been a good few years since I was stopped on my MC...  the BiB in BKK aren’t as interested in foreign motorcyclists as they are in Phuket and Pattaya). 

Ask at a hotel reception to do it..  or any shops that do passport photo's or even a business name -card shop.

I've been stopped and asked to show Passport twice (by Police) at the Silom Rd night checkpoint...  both times I showed a copy, all good.  I was saluted and asked to move on.  It also is accepted at VASU to change $$$$.

Anything bank-related I use the actual passport...  and I never stop for a beer on my way home with Passport in my pocket.

S

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Me thinks you haven't been in LOS for very long.

Only 30+ years. Seasons Club Pattaya was raided. All those without passport were taken to the station. Like the Big Joke era. Like Thaksin times, maybe a copy is warranted.

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

The Kodak print shop on Soi Buakhao near the corner of Soi Lengkee will make you a credit card sized laminated copy of your passport details page and your visa page on the reverse, for 150 THB.

Thank you bother, or whatever you identify.

11 hours ago, kevinsan said:

S

Only 30+ years. Seasons Club Pattaya was raided. All those without passport were taken to the station. Like the Big Joke era. Like Thaksin times, maybe a copy is warranted.

30 years in Thailand and you're asking where to get a passport copied???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kevinsan said:

S

I was refering to you asking where to get a copy. Shouldn't be allowed out of the house without adult supervision comes to mind.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, kokesaat said:

Years ago I made a color copy of my passport photo page and kept it in the glove compartment in case I was ever asked for my passport.  I think I've pulled it out twice....both time when a bank asked to see my passport, never for the police......25 years in

Exactly. For those that don't go out of their way to cause trouble, the chance of being asked by a cop for a passport is very low.

I had longer in LOS than yourself and never asked by a cop- only driving license.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:51 AM, bangkok19 said:

Anything bank-related I use the actual passport...  and I never stop for a beer on my way home with Passport in my pocket.

When I had to carry passport it was in a money belt tucked inside my pants. Never carried a wallet as concerned about pickpockets, so had money belt on anyway when going to the city.

Didn't cause me any problems.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

You reckon they wouldn't know what a visa looks like?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I had to carry passport it was in a money belt tucked inside my pants. Never carried a wallet as concerned about pickpockets, so had money belt on anyway when going to the city.

Didn't cause me any problems.

I had a fanny pack now and again for those times I felt things were not secure at my accommodation, or on tour....just not good if visiting the beach and going swimming. That thieving sod in the bushes on Koh Chang!