Where to make passport id copy for police?

kevinsan

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In 17 years I've only been asked for my driving license. Hang on I've NEVER been asked for it. I automatically hold it up when being stopped. Never been asked for my passport and I never carry it or carry a photocopy. Some people just worry too much.

Its better to be prepared and have a copy....

Some people worry too much... others tell others they worry too much based on their individual experience. 

Here’s more anecdote:  I have been stopped a couple of times and asked for my Passport. 

Held up DL... not accepted...  had to rely on my ‘phone a friend’ option to get the corrupt BiB off my back...  

That said - getting stopped is rare, but it has happened to the vast majority of my friends and I. 

I guess it depends where you are, where you are walking / travelling around and at what time etc.

There’s a higher probability at night, especially in the Asoke to Thonglor area (which used to be notorious for this).

It doesn’t hurt to carry a copy of your passport if it makes you feel better... Its certainly better than the ‘implication’ presented by comments such as ‘I’ve never been stopped’...   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  the probability of losing a passport if carrying it around daily compared to the probability of being stopped by the BiB is higher... 

Taking that idea a step further, the probability of being stopped by the BiB who don’t accept a driving licence or photo copy of your passport is extremely low...  

Risk of passport loss is much higher and simply not worth the risk to carry your passport at all given the time and difficult involved with renewal of a passport here. 

I agree. I carry paper copy. Photo on ph also good idea. Real Drivers license has photo so alternative id.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here’s more anecdote:  I have been stopped a couple of times and asked for my Passport. 

I reckon BS on that as yer average Thai policeman would not know what he's looking at if he was to see your passport and he wouldn't want to embarrass himself in trying to prove there's a problem with it. .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are plenty of ‘print shops’ around where you could get a Laminated copy made and then just have the entry stamps on your phone etc.

This is what I did. Get it laminated or within a week it will have started to deteriorate. 

Yourself on a copier, any Kodak shop, a visa agent office, or simply a few pics on your phone. But don't fret, the only time I have had to produce my passport to police in many years, was driving near the Northern border areas. 

Today as noted take a photo of it with entry stamps date. 

Go to any KODAK photo shop for xerox etc.  

30-50 baht color with entry stamp laminated like a credit card for backup.  Been here near 20 years have never carried my passport. 

In Pattaya,  Soi Buakhao/Soi Lengkee next door 7/11 KODAK shop but I think 100 baht? 

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yourself on a copier, any Kodak shop, a visa agent office, or simply a few pics on your phone. But don't fret, the only time I have had to produce my passport to police in many years, was driving near the Northern border areas. 

Perhaps the OP is intending to go clubbing this weekend. If he's unlucky he might be in a club that gets raided by the Captain Killjoy who is leading a crackdown at the moment. 

"As for overstaying foreigners, Nantawut warned that police would be inspecting documents and passports of tourists to ensure they were not overstaying and encouraged all tourists to at the bare minimum have a legible copy of their recent documentation including their passport stamps with them at all times."

“From now on, at 1:00 A.M. every single day dozens of police and relevant officers are patrolling to enforce these seven rules and encourage venues to close on time every day. I am personally patrolling myself every Friday and Saturday to ensure the legal closing times are obeyed.” Nantawut said.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/19/region-2-police-promise-stricter-enforcement-of-seven-rules-for-entertainment-venues-say-no-to-later-closing-for-world-cup/

20 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Years ago I made a color copy of my passport photo page and kept it in the glove compartment in case I was ever asked for my passport.  I think I've pulled it out twice....both time when a bank asked to see my passport, never for the police......25 years in

You need to update a copy of your visa, each year.. 

24 minutes ago, BigStar said:
1 hour ago, murraynz said:

You need to update a copy of your visa, each year.. 

Extension stamp.

Not really....   

Only commissioned officers can ask for your ID - a Passport (or copy of usually suffices). 

Only Immigration Offices can ask for your Visa Status and they hardly roam the streets. 

Thus: A copy of your Passport, or a ‘shrunk to credit card size’ laminated copy of your Passport should more than suffice for ‘most’ situations.

A photo of your lasted stamp / visa on your phone should also be more than adequate. 

The caveat being: Unless you come across an extremely difficult and awkward Policeman (non-commissioned) who wants to see your passport and only your passport will do - then arguing with them that as they are not commissioned its not legal for them to ask, is going to be somewhat tricky !!!...  but lets face it, that last scenario is extremely unlikely. 

4 hours ago, Klonko said:

From your experience, do all hotels or banks accept photocopies? I still reluctantly carry my passport while traveling in LOS.

Most likely they would. 

I always travel with my Passport (to keep it accessible within a decent time frame) - but I use my Pink ID for airline (domestic) and hotel check-in... this always works (but really shouldn’t outside of province of issue, nevertheless, it works).... so, I assume that hotels would be perfectly fine accepting a PhotoCopy of your passport upon check-in. 

As for Banks.. I think mileage may vary... some will, but some Bank Managers are utter jobs-worths and can make things awkward (in the past (pre-pink ID days) a photo on the phone or a Driving Licence was not accepted (in the situations I’ve experienced. Note: others say their Thai DL has worked in Banks). 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: A copy of your Passport, or a ‘shrunk to credit card size’ laminated copy of your Passport should more than suffice for ‘most’ situations.

A photo of your lasted stamp / visa on your phone should also be more than adequate. 

"Officer, an ANF Poster decided that only this should be sufficient. Now: buzz off."

I'll cover all the bases, thank you. Don't need no laminate, just cut down copies of the PP page, visa, and extension stamp, fold tightly, compress into small plastic ziplock used for medications, and carry in my back pocket. Run off a new extension stamp copy yearly. Also have the phone copies, Thai DL, and pink card. Cops only ask for a DL at a checkpoint; often a glance is enough, don't even need take it out of my wallet. "Thailand! Thank you."

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BigStar said:

"Officer, an ANF Poster decided that only this should be sufficient. Now: buzz off."

I'll cover all the bases, thank you. Don't need no laminate, just cut down copies of the PP page, visa, and extension stamp, fold tightly, compress into small plastic ziplock used for medications, and carry in my back pocket. Run off a new extension stamp copy yearly. Also have the phone copies, Thai DL, and pink card. Cops only ask for a DL at a checkpoint; often a glance is enough, don't even need take it out of my wallet. "Thailand! Thank you."

One asked me for a green book copy earlier this year so you better get a copy of that too

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One asked me for a green book copy earlier this year so you better get a copy of that too

Got it! Paper and phone.

I got a color copy of the tax sticker rolled up in a standard holder on the bike showing only the number & date. This, after a real one was stolen once. But I also carry the receipt in my wallet. They ain't gettin' ME!????