Czech couple seriously injured after being hit by pickup truck in Phang Nga while crossing a road

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phang Nga-A Czech couple have sustained serious injuries after being hit by a pickup truck while crossing a road in Khao Lak.

The Khao Lak Police was notified of the accident last night at 7:30 P.M. (November 21st) in the Kuekkak sub-district. Police and emergency responders arrived at the scene to find a damaged pickup truck on the road. The driver, identified only as Mr. Payak, 52, from Yasothorn, was waiting for police at the scene.

In front of the pickup truck rescue workers found two injured foreigners who were Mr. Vladimir Koci, 64, and Mrs. Jana Koci Lhotakova, 50, both are Czech nationals. They both sustained serious injuries and were rushed to a local hospital.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/11/22/czech-couple-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-pickup-truck-in-phang-nga-while-crossing-a-road/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-11-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Anyone with a pulse drives here.

From age 8 to 108 ????

Yesterday I had a minor collision with an old codger on a cycle 

He suddenly swerved into my path and even after honking my horn meters away from his ears, he kept going..

He was lucky I was only doing 30 on my mbike and always on hair-trigger alert.

We did collide though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gt162 said:

Foreign pedestrians need to be extra careful crossing the streets in Thailand.

Or even being near a street:

" about to cross the road before they were hit by Mr. Payak"

Seems the couple hadn't yet entered the road to cross and were hit. Driver lose sight of where the road edge was?

It's not uncommon in Thailand for people at sidewalk cafes, in their homes, shopping at street side vendors, etc. to get hit by vehicles rebounding like a billiard ball after a road collision.

33 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Or even being near a street:

" about to cross the road before they were hit by Mr. Payak"

Seems the couple hadn't yet entered the road to cross and were hit. Driver lose sight of where the road edge was?

It's not uncommon in Thailand for people at sidewalk cafes, in their homes, shopping at street side vendors, etc. to get hit by vehicles rebounding like a billiard ball after a road collision.

you omitted the part about the tourists bring on a "central reservation", according to an eyewitness.

I'll say it again ... Unless your standing on the 3rd floor of a building in LOS you're very possibly up for becoming a road accident victim at any moment. I wonder did they breathalyse the dude that hit them?

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

“I was driving at 80 km/hour. The area does not have enough lights and there was some rain. I did not see the tourists.”

Sounds like an admittance of negligent driving to me - years ban and pay the hospital fees

..I also had half a bottle of whiskey in my system. ????

"They both sustained serious injuries and were rushed to a local hospital."

There is no local hospital in Khao Lak.

Bangkok Hospital Phuket did open an outreach clinic there but it went bust during covid.

There is a small government clinic near the Police station at Kuek Kak but absolutely not equiped for serious injuries.

Closest hospital would be Takua Pa which is over an hours drive away and poorly staffed and equipped.  Hospital in Phang Nga town is at least 1 hour 20 minutes from Kuek Kak.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

“I was driving at 80 km/hour. The area does not have enough lights and there was some rain. I did not see the tourists.”

Sounds like an admittance of negligent driving to me - years ban and pay the hospital fees

What an excuse eh.  Not enough street lighting then add some rain to the mix.  I wonder if a ban would have any affect .

21 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

So the driver gives the typical excuses .  Wet road , dark road. Typical mentality.  No accountability.  Put the blame on other people and other things. 

Just a thought but is brake failure or the wheels fell off no longer an accepted excuse

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

Thais are terrible drivers at the best of times. Sprinkle in a bit of road rage and a bottle of lao kao and you have an oven ready recipe for disaster.

My thoughts go out to the innocent czech tourists and wish them a speedy recovery.

no Lao Kao Bob. 0% alcohol

cctv

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Anyone with a pulse drives here.

From age 8 to 108 ????

Yesterday I had a minor collision with an old codger on a cycle 

He suddenly swerved into my path and even after honking my horn meters away from his ears, he kept going..

He was lucky I was only doing 30 on my mbike and always on hair-trigger alert.

We did collide though.

I hope you were very apologetic to the old gentleman, and admitted it was entirely your fault, (because you are a foreigner in his country) and rewarded him handsomely for this inconvenience.

Edited by roo860

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

See now, how important it is to look before crossing the street.

See now, how important it is to read the facts before jumping to your bias Thai apologist assumptions... :whistling:

“The tourists were on a central reservation and about to cross the road before they were hit by Mr. Payak.”

However, he [the driver] is facing charges of reckless driving causing serious injuries.”

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

See now, how important it is to read the facts before jumping to your bias Thai apologist assumptions... :whistling:

Great Richard! Next time I will write sarcasm under just for you.

Back-pedal much ???.....  :clap2:

May I say Sir... saving face quite suits you !! :giggle:

I’ve seen a few of these posts recently where people post something stupid then claim they were being sarcastic...    :violin:

Use this for Sarcasm...  ????    because it's sometimes difficult to tell if someone is being sarcastic or stupid. 

• Thumbs Up 1