investment returns.. fixed rates

Are there any "safe" returns other than those deposits up to ($250,000) protected by law in USA? Many platforms now allow cross border trading/deposits.  

Apologies but not USA, would be keen to learn if anyone has ideas for good UK returns? Best I've seen is 2 year fixed deposit at 4.81%. Minimum £1,000 but only £85,000 deposit protection, though with maximum deposit of £2 million. Other better options with no (or minimal) risk to capital/principal?

43 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

would be keen to learn if anyone has ideas for good UK returns? Best I've seen is 2 year fixed deposit at 4.81%. Minimum £1,000 but only £85,000 deposit protection, though with maximum deposit of £2 million. Other better options with no (or minimal) risk to capital/principal?

moneysavingexpert.com shows the best rates which seems to be 4.86% for 3 year fixed

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

moneysavingexpert.com shows the best rates which seems to be 4.86% for 3 year fixed

Thanks was just on MSE. That's a long time to lock-in. The rate I was looking at was on Hargreaves Landsown. I've got a fund at 6%+ but risk to capital. It's difficult to know which way to go.

36 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks was just on MSE. That's a long time to lock-in. The rate I was looking at was on Hargreaves Landsown. I've got a fund at 6%+ but risk to capital. It's difficult to know which way to go.

Funds definitely go down, but on the positive side markets are down so more upside, but if you buy Funds they could go straight down that's the risk

I put money into Peer-to-Peer platforms in Australia. No guarantee; however, the track record of the three I am in has been solid for about ten years. If they were dodgy, IMO the bubble would have burst by now.

As with everything else, the higher the return, the higher the risk. I lean towards conservative returns.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This is the fund I always use which relates to Income. Orginally drawn to it for perhaps obvious reasons lol

Pays around 9% annually at the current unit price......I just reinvest the dividends each time but they are hefty.....quarterly divi payments

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/henderson-far-east-income-ltd-ord-npv

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

This is the fund I always use which relates to Income. Orginally drawn to it for perhaps obvious reasons lol

Pays around 9% annually at the current unit price......I just reinvest the dividends each time but they are hefty.....quarterly divi payments

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/henderson-far-east-income-ltd-ord-npv

Is this accessible from Schwab account in usa? 

20 minutes ago, persimmon said:

check out the total return chart for that Henderson fund - I think you may be surprised , but not in a good way !

Although the dividends look good, the fund value has decreased by 30% over the last 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've been buying the ETF symbol BIL.  it buys short term US treasuries, 1 to 3 month maturities.  it yields over 3% now and should be higher soon as the purchases of 3 months ago mature and are renewed at higher rates.  i have an account with wells fargo in USA but i'm sure you can buy the same thing with schwab.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:16 AM, soi3eddie said:

Although the dividends look good, the fund value has decreased by 30% over the last 5 years.

Indeed it has which as been fabulous lol because I've been loading heavily with further units.

Fully acknowledge your point though

I love that fund nonetheless !

• Thanks 1