Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I agree. Will you also need to have the bargirls carry a credit card swiping machine if they spend the night? 

This world is going bonkers. When will it end? What if there is a technical problem or power outage and the ability to use your card or transfer money stops for any reason. What will people do? Can't accept cash for goodness sakes. 

What an idiotic idea.

Luddite.

"Tap and Go" is perfect for the entertainment industry.

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I use cash as I prefer not to have any opportunity of someone hacking my account.

BTW, try waiting for your receipt at Global House in Nan. They have a new system where you literally have to wait 5 minutes before your receipt is available to you.

I suspect that might be a "tax receipt" rather than a normal payment receipt?

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I agree. Will you also need to have the bargirls carry a credit card swiping machine if they spend the night?

"You gip me card now, I take money give you card back tonight, ok?"

Why would she lie?  :biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of human history was cashless, the barter system prevailed. With current and future technology, society seems to be heading that way again albeit using electronic means.

Several countries in Europe, and Singapore, currently have a higher than 50% electronic payments rate. Thailand is about 2%. Many things now can only be accessed using credit cards, it will inevitably become the norm.

For those worried about privacy issues, that boat has long sailed. Your phone, your computer, your favorite store, your utility provider, your salary or pension provider, your friendly local police, Immigration, etc., etc, all collect and store data about you. If you want to be completely anonymous become a hermit in the jungle eating berries and insects.

Security issues are concerning, with technology also inventing ways and means to steal your electronic money. Consequently, more and more security checks seem to pop up in my daily activities. There will always be thieves, but countermeasures will keep apace.

Not everyone in a community will have bank accounts for many reasons, access for all will need to be a priority.

I accept the inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, hotandsticky said:

Luddite.

"Tap and Go" is perfect for the entertainment industry.

You have your opinion and allow others to have theirs ok Cowboy? I'm not opposed to new technology. Just the way this situation is a senseless use of it.

It won't happen anyway as Thailand will lose far too much business and revenue. How many "good" ideas has the Thai govt actually come up with that improves the country or people's lives there? Few to none.

Just now, HuskerDo2 said:

You have your opinion and allow others to have theirs ok Cowboy? I'm not opposed to new technology. Just the way this situation is a senseless use of it.

It won't happen anyway as Thailand will lose far too much business and revenue. How many "good" ideas has the Thai govt actually come up with that improves the country or people's lives there? Few to none.

I never questioned you having an opinion, soldier.......I just disagreed with it.

51 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I think that is the excuse they are giving to implement these new cashless measures. i dont believe that is their sole motivation though. more like tracking it's citizens because, well, why not?

I think it's about trying to get more people into the tax net, less than 2% of people pay taxes via the PAYE equivalent which is hard to increase when everyone uses cash. But when there's an electronic bank audit trail, oops, better watch out and be a just a bit more truthful when filing a return.

• Like 2

There is a significant downside on the privacy issue but there is a big upside for tax offices to collect the taxes from criminals, those working for cash on a smaller scale, wealthy with tax schemes,  to pay for hospitals, provide services, etc. In reality I pay full tax on my wages and investments but know many do not. It irks me. Also a significant saving in resources dealing in cash. I prefer using card and do so nearly all the time.

There is smart legislation in some countries to protect privacy and limit use for special circumstances  -  the issue is if we could trust governments to implement it fairly. In many countries there are likely to be reasonable checks and balances in place. In others clearly not. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One can only assume you have never been to China, virtually cashless, even old ladies in the market paying the equivalent of 5 baht with a smartphone.

Very difficult for tourists with many services unattended and payment by QR code.

Paying by cash is expensive, nobody has any change and you end up paying over the odds, but you get what you pay for so to speak.

Paying how much on a plan each month for their smartphone which they possibly don't want?????????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I use cash as I prefer not to have any opportunity of someone hacking my account.

BTW, try waiting for your receipt at Global House in Nan. They have a new system where you literally have to wait 5 minutes before your receipt is available to you.

It's possible to pay instantly by waving a card in front of a reader, your receipt is in your bank statement. It's much quicker than using dirty old banknotes (read about contaminates on currency and your chances of being labelled a cocaine user if swabbed).

These days you can even start your car without removing your key from your pocket. The technology exists, and is in use now, for instant payments without time wasting by first collecting, then passing on currency and collecting change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Until you can't access your money because of a "glitch" in the  system.

Or the bank or government have locked your account because they think there is something suspicious..

I, and several friends have had bank accounts closed in the last few years by the banks. Never given a reason. Just a message that the bank has decided to close the account.

Without cash. How to survive that?

Survive it by having several bank accounts and investment accounts

Absolutely against it.

Even the banks (did at least) recommend cash transactions to faciitate procedures. I remember a case where we had to make a larger transaction (nearly 2 Mio.) and as the best way it was recommended by the bank carrying cash along to the receiving bank - not even a cashier check. Maybe they were too lazy to produce one at the time.

What did surprize me at all that this was a "no question asked" operation by everybody involved (although they could have done it, there was nothing fishy about it). Smooth as silk.

So we filled up two shopping bags with 1000 bank notes at the counter and walked out of the front door of the bank, strolling along the road to our parking place. Very much to the surprize of the customer at the next counter who did witness this all ????

There are many reasons why cash is king. Not only security, not only reliability, not only acceptance (think Som Tam shop). I once visited a Philippine island for an extended period of time but I was only equipped with AMEXCO Traveller Checkes (it was some time ago). The island did not have a bank (so as well no ATM). This forced me to change a considerable sum into Philippine Pesos which they did give me in bags to carry along. Felt like a bank robber.

Edited by moogradod

54 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If of an age that smart phones are inoperable it makes a huge difference.  And for those of that age using smart phones it could turn into a major financial loss with one slight error.  1,000 baht risks no more than 1,000 baht.

You need to move with the times otherwise you'll be left behind

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I, and several friends have had bank accounts closed in the last few years by the banks. Never given a reason. Just a message that the bank has decided to close the account.

Without cash. How to survive that?

easy, multiple accounts in multiple banks, helps with money laundering 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to move with the times otherwise you'll be left behind

Realistically 2030 is maybe a little to quick, I mean how many times we hear thai goverment deciding something, and it seems impossible for them to implement their new regulations, laws and so many other things, not to forget the chaos when they first do what they decided to do, just saying legalizing medical marijuana ????

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Realistically 2030 is maybe a little to quick, I mean how many times we hear thai goverment deciding something, and it seems impossible for them to implement their new regulations, laws and so many other things, not to forget the chaos when they first do what they decided to do, just saying legalizing medical marijuana ????

I agree 2030 looks unrealistic. I think as you age you have to force yourself to stay tech savy otherwise you will struggle in the future, unfortunately most older people don't 

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

imagine going to buy a pad thai on the street for 40 baht and having no cash to pay only credit card?? where is the vendor gonna swipe it exactly, lol.

When ATM machines and bank branches are removed, where exactly will you get cash?

Street vendors already for a while accept PromptPay payments which land in their accounts immediately without fees. That's why you'll notice your 40 baht Pad Thai vendor has a QR code printed on the side for payments. Credit cards are only secondary payment option due to transaction fees. Most are accepting PromptPay, with more upmarket shops accepting credit cards or other methods of mobile payments (Alipay, Google Pay, Apple Pay, True wallet,...)

Dining goes digital for street food vendors

All that said - and while being forced into it by "CASH NOT ACCEPTED" by ever more invoices - I'm against this cashless transition and voted accordingly.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 2

In rural areas cash is king. And will be for the foreseeable future.

Farm laborers are paid in cash and then go and spend that cash in the local markets. Many people don't even have bank accounts.

Probably the entire population over 50 will have to die out before Thailand can even consider going cashless.

• Like 2