Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Went to a cashless Starbucks in Chiang Mai but there was a cash tip jar at the counter.  One problem some may face is not all foreign debit or credit cards will work in the Land of Smiles.  

Luckily the "cash only" places are the tiny minority and there's more to life than Starbucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:
4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I, and several friends have had bank accounts closed in the last few years by the banks. Never given a reason. Just a message that the bank has decided to close the account.

Without cash. How to survive that?

wow. tyranny at work.

it's frightening when you think about it.

Not at all "frightening" as it is a very rare occurrence and there's always a reason for a private bank to close a customer's account.

imagine going to buy a pad thai on the street for 40 baht and having no cash to pay only credit card?? where is the vendor gonna swipe it exactly, lol.

More and more small vendors are displaying their QR code, I see many Thai customers  doing a quick QR scan and pay using their bank app. Totally easy.

I pay as much as posible by bank transfer (most times the details are already in my notebook internet banking) or QR code payment.

But I do keep about 200Baht cash in my wallet just in case cash is 'compulsory'. Rarely used.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I have something to hide ????

I asked my local decorator to repaint the outside of my house (UK) and he quoted £400 which is the market rate for this area but he could do it for £330 cash. Now I know he isn't declaring this to the tax man but I'd much prefer to pay the lower amount.

You prefer paying cash so you can commit a crime and not pay tax ?

Please change your name yo "Liverpoolfan' 

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm against it. Too easy to "switch someone off" if they hold the wrong opinion, protest the wrong party etc. 

Also, I like the anonymity of cash. I don't want records of every place I've been, every taxi I've taken, every meal I've eaten. Nothing to do with having something to hide, it's the basic human right to a bit of privacy from the government. They are there to serve us, not spy on us and decide when we can have access to our money.

Honestly, no one is bothered about what you eat or when you take a taxi and you aren't going to get "switched off" if you have a certain opinion . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to move with the times otherwise you'll be left behind

True, but surely that applies to Thailand itself. What is the chance of Thailand moving with the times? Can you imagine that in the country of low IQs? All the unnecessary paperwork, people working in offices who are not computer literate, etc, etc.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, garrya said:

Anyone who believes digital currency is for the greater good is a complete moron. 

I thought the governments are there to serve people. I may be living in a dream though.

Instead, we should put a tracker and a digital ID on all state employees to see who they meet, who they deal with, who lobbies and what they lobby for, how they spend public money.......and most importantly, track all the research, studies, contracts, agreements they sign. If it's for the greater good, why would anyone conceal info from the populace?

The world has gone mad that people believe that all these restrictive measures are for the "people". 

Brainwashing at its best.

Can you imagine the soldiers government in a cashless society? How are they going to collect all their brown envelopes? :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

One can only assume you have never been to China, virtually cashless, even old ladies in the market paying the equivalent of 5 baht with a smartphone.

Very difficult for tourists with many services unattended and payment by QR code.

Paying by cash is expensive, nobody has any change and you end up paying over the odds, but you get what you pay for so to speak.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and always use cash, as does my wife. Most of the shops, malls, gas stations etc use a choice of cash, credit/debit cards, QR codes etc.

Most stalls and markets use cash. We pay the same price in cash as the cards are charged.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

We don't want Thailand to move with the times, most of us like Thailand being backwards

Lets just see what happens when/if the unelected soldiers go back to their barracks and parade grounds and there is a proper elected government again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A cashless society is definitely coming it's just when. As for the banks, good competition means competitive charging, usually downwards

IF there is good comeptition and no collusion behind the scenes. I mean banks are squeaky clean in Thailand, right ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Creating money is the business of the state how much there is.

Banks create no money, just zeros and ones in some computer.

Rest assured, commercial banks do create money, the physical cash created by the central bank is but a small fraction of all money.

• Thanks 1