Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, garrya said:

Mate, you are a genius. 

Everybody is a conspiracy theorists who disagree with you because they have ample evidence.

Lol

I’m not your mate.

Yeah, sure…it’s all a government conspiracy.

How could I have missed the obvious link between Thai businesses going cashless and the Chinese government controlling us all.

Serious face palm time.

Must readjust my tin helmet..

LOL indeed. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, sure…it’s all a government conspiracy. LOL

Jeez, don't make yourself look like a nursery boy who has just lost his teddy bear. Seriously, why are you arguing using no evidence but nonsense?

1 minute ago, garrya said:

Jeez, don't make yourself look like a nursery boy who has just lost his teddy bear. Seriously, why are you arguing using no evidence but nonsense?

Let me reiterate. 

Yeah, sure…it’s all a government conspiracy.

How could I have missed the obvious link between Thai businesses going cashless and the Chinese government controlling us all.

Serious face palm time.

Must readjust my tin helmet..

LOL indeed. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Take a walk through any day market in Thailand, and you will realize how out of touch with reality your post is. Everyone pays cash.

In places such as Big C and Central Festival, my guess would be 80% cashless, 20% cash, so you are closer to the mark there.

My GF's relatives in the village have bank accounts and cards, invariably they use the cards to access cash from a local ATM.

I go to day markets quite often, most people use bank transfer they even have the QR codes on the stalls of the markets. Although I am in more urban areas where everyone has phones and it's usually the younger tech savvy generation. I.e, pleonchit/siam and rangsit is where I stay.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What real world? I get along fine with a bank passbook and cash. My debit cards only get used for buying on Lazada.

I don't understand what you mean by the costs of money transmission, I don't get charged anything to deposit or withdraw cash here. OTOH, I do get charged a service fee of 300 baht/year for the debit cards.

If you are referring to international money transfers, AFAIK there are none that are free. There is always a cost somewhere in the chain.

I didn't think you would understand.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What real world? I get along fine with a bank passbook and cash. My debit cards only get used for buying on Lazada.

I don't understand what you mean by the costs of money transmission, I don't get charged anything to deposit or withdraw cash here. OTOH, I do get charged a service fee of 300 baht/year for the debit cards.

If you are referring to international money transfers, AFAIK there are none that are free. There is always a cost somewhere in the chain.

Simple Googling would have educated you.....

Look and learn:-

Cost of accepting cash

Cash Handling

The idea that accepting cash is cheap is actually a myth. While some business owners might think the 3 percent fee for processing credit cards is a burden, research from IHL Group shows that cash handling costs many retailers between 4.7 and 15.3 percent.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Take a walk through any day market in Thailand, and you will realize how out of touch with reality your post is. Everyone pays cash.

In places such as Big C and Central Festival, my guess would be 80% cashless, 20% cash, so you are closer to the mark there.

My GF's relatives in the village have bank accounts and cards, invariably they use the cards to access cash from a local ATM.

Who wants to use the village ATM’s? Until this year we had only two, and people have been queuing for hours sometimes especially during covid. Finely now they allowed 7/11 and CJ to open up here and we got more options. 

Everybody have a smartphone, so implementing new payment system is no problem, neither a problem for any marked. Especially fresh markeds where they touch money, and touch food, money food and so on? 

Im all for handsfree payment, and it will save time for everyone, as well no need to go and deposit money manually anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im all for handsfree payment, and it will save time for everyone, as well no need to go and deposit money manually anymore. 

That task will become increasingly difficult. It is already planned to remove cash deposit machines - any significant increase in bank counter will see the cash handling costs reviewed.

Bitcoin fixes this... Pay with Lightning wallet on your phone. 

Lots of countries where the majority of the people doesn't have access to banking. Street vendors already use this kind of payment solutions, and more will.... 

There's already several digital payment solutions in use, impossible to stop, the world movies forward..

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ro54 said:

Lots of countries where the majority of the people doesn't have access to banking. Street vendors already use this kind of payment solutions, and more will.... 

There's already several digital payment solutions in use, impossible to stop, the world movies forward..

I guess that is the wet dream for many of you guys ????

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Ro54 said:

theyve already been using mobile banking for a while now without bitcoin lol

Edited by dj230
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

I go to day markets quite often, most people use bank transfer they even have the QR codes on the stalls of the markets. Although I am in more urban areas where everyone has phones and it's usually the younger tech savvy generation. I.e, pleonchit/siam and rangsit is where I stay.

Take a walk through the day markets of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, none of the market stalls have QR codes. Half the time it's foodstuffs sitting on a tarpaulin on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

As I said in a previous post, it doesn't save me time when I am stuck behind some f***wit who ends up needing the checkout chick to help them complete the transaction.

It does remind me of the time an Egyptian managed to roll a Land Rover at the mine site I was working, a considerable feat of incompetent driving. As a Scottish engineer and myself surveyed the wreckage, he turned to me and said " I've always thought it's a mistake to give them cars, when we have only just finished teaching them how to ride bicycles."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Simple Googling would have educated you.....

Look and learn:-

Cost of accepting cash

Cash Handling

The idea that accepting cash is cheap is actually a myth. While some business owners might think the 3 percent fee for processing credit cards is a burden, research from IHL Group shows that cash handling costs many retailers between 4.7 and 15.3 percent.

Why would I care about that? It's not a cost I incur.

I haven't seen any examples of being charged more because I am paying in cash.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and what could possibly go wrong with that? Have you actually looked at the mess of wires above you in the streets, or fiber optic cables that have trees growing around them?

And what does this have to do with either the comment or my reply to it? Have you actually read either?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Exactly, all about control...

I've heard this 'all about control' argument from plenty of people over the last few years.

These people tend to be pennyless, often have almost no control over their own lives, no money, little income, can just about scrape enough together to get by and are barely surviving in tiny one room studios, essentially they're sitting there waiting to die.

What exactly is it supposed to be that the glorious and all powerful governments of the world want to control about such people?

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and always use cash, as does my wife. Most of the shops, malls, gas stations etc use a choice of cash, credit/debit cards, QR codes etc.

Most stalls and markets use cash. We pay the same price in cash as the cards are charged.

Thailand is still in the infancy of cashless society but for anyone to claim it won't happen is absurd.

The UK is much further into cashless than Thailand but they have opted for contactless rather than QR codes. You go in a bar now and there is more cards being presented to the till than pound notes.

Even worse on buses. When I was there recently I had to go to the train station fairly early so had to pay as it was to before my OAP bus pass could be used. I gave the driver a fiver and he said he didn't have any change and would have to give me a credit note. I said what good was that when I had a bus pass, he laughed and told me to sit down. I couldn't use my debit card as it was new and I hadn't activated it for contactless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I've heard this 'all about control' argument from plenty of people over the last few years.

These people tend to be pennyless, often have almost no control over their own lives, no money, little income, can just about scrape enough together to get by and are barely surviving in tiny one room studios, essentially they're sitting there waiting to die.

What exactly is it supposed to be that the glorious and all powerful governments of the world want to control about such people?

Just think about it for a moment when it comes to our passports, now they have all your biometric in that little chip, you hand over passport for id everywhere in Thailand if you travelling around. Not only at the immigration! 

We leaving dna every where we go, and no problem for anyone to pic that up and use for any purposes. 

We are so deleted already if anyone wants to abuse us for an instance on social media platforms, sold to some crazy inventer who want to send people off the planet. Everything we believe, dream, think, sleep, wake up, eat, <deleted>,  say act and where we go is stored and measured. 

But cash we must save! Even call everyone morons, idiots and more if you believe anything else

Edited by Hummin