Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you knew (and you did) that he was committing fraud and you participated in that fraud, then you are equally as guilty as he is 

You're only guilty if there's proof, otherwise it's just 'hearsay' which doesn't count.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you knew (and you did) that he was committing fraud and you participated in that fraud, then you are equally as guilty as he is 

Well I didn't know yer honour.

If we're talking about tax evasion, let's start with some of the blue chips/off shore millionaires. That's where the real money is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

True, but surely that applies to Thailand itself. What is the chance of Thailand moving with the times? Can you imagine that in the country of low IQs? All the unnecessary paperwork, people working in offices who are not computer literate, etc, etc.

I think the monks would struggle without the cash stashed under the safron to buy smokes and drinkies.????????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Robin said:

Thailand will never go cashless.  Expect vendors to accept the deduction made on credit card payments?  NO WAY. Only cashless if you pay the surcharge.  

Also too many in Thailand like the anomality of paying cash, and being able to  launder cash so easily.

You are behind the times. It's not about credit card transactions. Almost everyone in Thailand has prompt pay. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, n00dle said:

It is the standard response of a generation that blindly followed the rules, paid their taxes and swallowed their questions. 

A refrain sung by folks who have no understanding of what privacy has come to mean. 

Amazing summarization. Nice one m8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

And they were fokkin right. 

No, people used to be petrified of CCTV cameras . 

They used to think that person in some office would be watching them 24/7 and watching their every move . 

That so changed when people realised that CCTVs were just looking out for criminals and the streets were safer with CCTV , rather than without it 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Brian Hudson said:

I’m for a cashless society if it stops drug dealers and people who refuse to pay their fair share of tax I think it’s a good idea 

I'm all ears if immigration will accept an internet bank statement.

No cash equals no bank branches.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

wow. tyranny at work. just like when hotmails mail server detects 'suspicious activity' and automatically suspends your account. no more details given, just the system doing what systems do.

it's frightening when you think about it.

Don't worry or be concerned about things that have not happened , because  most of the time, it doesn't actually happen and you worry for no reason at all 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If of an age that smart phones are inoperable it makes a huge difference.  And for those of that age using smart phones it could turn into a major financial loss with one slight error.  1,000 baht risks no more than 1,000 baht.

You don't actually enter the amount onto the transaction  it happens automatically and you can check the amount payable on your device 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

News of the demise of cash in Thailand is greatly exaggerated.

That said, we did take our first holiday in the UK in 2019 for many years. We hopped on a bus in Fleet Street and tried to pay for two tickets with a fiver and everyone stared at us as though we were escapees from the nut house......that was a shock.

Arrived in Melbourne late in the evening on a two-day trip. My card was deeply buried somewhere in one of my bags. Could not take the airport bus, as they "don't take cash anymore". (No ticket counters open at that time.) Taxi cost me a fortune due to the chaotic road construction in the CBD, as the driver had to go three or four times around the block. Then couldn't give me change of 29 dollars on a hundred-dollar bill. Wanted to transfer it to my "MyKey" (my what??)... - He had to get change while I waited in the taxi. A lot of things in Melbourne only usable with 'MyKey' now, no cash. Hungry Jack's wouldn't accept cash either.

Couldn't be bothered to buy this 'MyKey' thing for the 30 odd hours I was still in town, so spend much less than I had planned. 

Go for it, Thailand...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

I voted against but as far as Thailand is concerned there is no stopping cashless payments in Thailand. The general population in Thailand won't complain, they just don't have it in them, and the ones that do, well, they won't be able to buy anything. Thailand is not a democracy and it is not a free country so this will happen as long as the government of Thailand insists on following in the footsteps of China. 

Liberty and privacy has lost or is currently losing in every country around the world and people appear to, generally, be okay with it. You can see the defeat in a lot of these comments. Considering the horrific atrocities visited on humankind by governments and large corporations in history, the general acceptance is astonishing.

But the acceptance is there and it is real so good luck to everybody.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I voted against but as far as Thailand is concerned there is no stopping cashless payments in Thailand. The general population in Thailand won't complain, they just don't have it in them, and the ones that do, well, they won't be able to buy anything. Thailand is not a democracy and it is not a free country so this will happen as long as the government of Thailand insists on following in the footsteps of China. 

Liberty and privacy has lost or is currently losing in every country around the world and people appear to, generally, be okay with it. You can see the defeat in a lot of these comments. Considering the horrific atrocities visited on humankind by governments and large corporations in history, the general acceptance is astonishing.

But the acceptance is there and it is real so good luck to everybody.

I'm against it too but I voted "for" just to annoy Bob the Moaner. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JayClay said:

The same thing that happens if your wallet gets lost, stolen or forgotten at home; you can't have the product or service for which you wish to pay for.

I never keep all my cash on me in one place ( and it stays in my pants after I take them off - no chance of leaving it behind ), and if they steal my wallet, they don't get a card that allows them access to my bank account to drain it before I can get to the bank. Pay wave, a gift to thieves.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

News of the demise of cash in Thailand is greatly exaggerated.

That said, we did take our first holiday in the UK in 2019 for many years. We hopped on a bus in Fleet Street and tried to pay for two tickets with a fiver and everyone stared at us as though we were escapees from the nut house......that was a shock.

Last time I visited the UK I bought a travel card- think it's called Oyster- at Heathrow. Used on buses and trains/ underground. I paid cash to load the card.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, n00dle said:

You are behind the times. It's not about credit card transactions. Almost everyone in Thailand has prompt pay. 

and what could possibly go wrong with that? Have you actually looked at the mess of wires above you in the streets, or fiber optic cables that have trees growing around them?

• Like 1