A wave of Strike Action hits across the UK

Social Media

Wave of strike action hits Royal Mail, universities, and schools

Postal workers from the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on the picket line on Thursday.Credit: PA

Royal Mail workers, university lecturers and teachers went on strike on Thursday as industrial unrest continues to spread across the country in disputes over pay, jobs and conditions.

Picket lines are being mounted outside postal delivery and sorting offices, universities and schools as unions edge closer to co-ordinated industrial action. It is shaping up to be one of the biggest walkouts of the year.

Talks have been held between leaders of unions involved in the disputes with the aim of taking joint action, such as holding strikes on the same day.

Full article

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

The crime of New Labour was that it could have done amazing things for the people of the UK with 2 large majorities and wasted it on Iraq.

Gordon wasted at least 6 billion quid on the NHS alone.

British people deserved better.

Pity they got 12 years of ineptness eh…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree, but it was 22 years of it, not just 12. Don't ignore the uselessness of New Labour.

I was there, remember.

But but but…labour.

Away to a nunnery with your whataboutary. 

The tory pm candidates themselves have admitted their policies failed the U.K.during their campaigns throughout the summer.

What is happening now is on them not the former govt. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

G.P's are a thing of the past these days , you either go directly to a hospital or you call the medics and they come and visit you at home or you go to a walk-in medical centre .

You get seen immediately , rather than having to wait a few days for a doctors appointment . G.Ps and doctors appointments are old fashioned these days and from a bygone era

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

The crime of New Labour was that it could have done amazing things for the people of the UK with 2 large majorities and wasted it on Iraq.

Gordon wasted at least 6 billion quid on the NHS alone.

British people deserved better.

The British people got through it all with binge drinking and street drugs, they haven't stopped since then. No British government has ever been keen to do anything for its citizens, why start now, the EU regulations must have been a thorn in their sides.

57 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Don't forget he was also instrumental in selling off the Gold reserves to balance the books, and make it look like his policies were working.

Neither party can be proud of selling off the family silver if you want to play the history game.

Ted heath and Margaret thatcher selling our North Sea oil rights .in fact she sold British gas and anything else that was not nailed down public housing stock ect easy to be in black until all assets are sold. Poll tax for Scotland only ( illegal under charter) when it came near the end of her time on earth big discussion if she gets state funeral in Scotland discussion was do we need to wait till she dies ???? 

Ps I'm wearing my helmet to avoid injury from my English friends 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

Neither party can be proud of selling off the family silver if you want to play the history game.

Ted heath and Margaret thatcher selling our North Sea oil rights .in fact she sold British gas and anything else that was not nailed down public housing stock ect easy to be in black until all assets are sold. Poll tax for Scotland only ( illegal under charter) when it came near the end of her time on earth big discussion if she gets state funeral in Scotland discussion was do we need to wait till she dies ???? 

Ps I'm wearing my helmet to avoid injury from my English friends 

When it comes to that lady,  you will get no argument from me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Given the Woke nonsense being preached in many schools and universities, this can only be a good thing.  I do feel sorry for the students though, first of all Covid, then strike action. 2020-2023 must be the worst period in history to be a student, and that's before anyone has introduced you to the work of Robin DiAngelo.

As for the postal service, the standards are so low when they are working that nobody will notice when they go on strike.

What woke nonsense?

And how does it relate to the strikes that are the subject of this thread?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What woke nonsense?

And how does it relate to the strikes that are the subject of this thread?

My brother is a headmaster of a decent school in SE England , his wife is a teacher at a different school in the SE. Like me they are in their early 50’s. They both said through lockdown most teachers loved the time off with full pay and used C19 at every opportunity not to come to work and still do. Most are Labour voters, or just Tory haters and very active in far left politics inc the ‘woke’ politics.  The teachers that are not on the same page rarely if ever talk politics to them or their students and that includes my brother. But many teachers bang on about this woke stuff in class no matter what the subject..inc maths..did you know maths is racist now ????

Royal Mail have good reasons to be on strike as it’s not mainly about a pay rise, it’s more complicated. The teachers…well they are mostly off anyway and imo could do with a shake up …and the GP,s …I only saw mine once just over a year ago because they were getting a one off incentive payment for a face to face appointment, he actually rang me himself for it! Now it’s back to the 2/3 week wait if they can’t convince you that your pharmacist could sort you out, so we probably wouldn’t notice them being on strike. At my local surgery the GP’s only work a 3 day week .  Maybe they all have good reasons to join the posties on strike…who knows. 

• Like 1