Thai national's first visit to UK - any suggestions?

One other tip. Tell your wife not to take any of her gold with her. Not wise to wear in the city.

My former wife had a 2 baht chain snatched off her neck as she was getting on a bus. The thief was young and easily outpaced her. Cried buckets as well you might. I had frequently told her not too have expensive gold on show as people these days know the value of Thai gold. Had to learn the hard way.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

she also dreams of seeing snow, but other than the mountains of Scotland there's little chance of seeing any in December.

My wife was pretty keen on seeing snow when we visited London in December a few years back, despite the fact we’d been skiing in South Korea, l advised her that it was highly unlikely that we’d get any snow at that time of the year in the Centre of London, my advice was blown out of the window when we were walking in a heavy blizzard in Covent Garden a couple of hours after landing at Heathrow.

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You are touching on something important there.

Don't ask US where you should take her, get her to do some research into where SHE would l;ike to go and what she would like to see.

For our first trip I organised everything based on what I thought she would enjoy; I wasn't wrong but for future UK visits (and Europe) I told my missus to come up with a list of places to see - and the reasons why. I wanted her invested in the planning aspect of the trips.

My missus wanted to see snow so we went to the Highlands in late March. Easyjet flights to Inverness are cheap. 

Pack dry Mama noodles and chilli. Avoid over-priced UK Thai restaurants that sell dumped down versions of Thai food but find someone that your wife can speak Thai to at least once a week. Avoid the local Thai mafia.

At last some meaningful advice, my wife certainly had a good idea of what’s she’s wanted to take in on our various trips to the UK, including the Seven Sisters which she’d seen on a photo years earlier, l think you might be pleasantly surprised, and certainly better than some mischievous posters on here.

We did nearly come a cropper though, when a visit to friends fell through I asked her for an alternative side trip, thinking she might go for Paris or Amsterdam, her response of Ireland surprised me though. When I asked her “why Ireland” she mentioned the Blue Lagoon, we subsequently enjoyed our trip to Iceland very much, plenty of snow there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

One other tip. Tell your wife not to take any of her gold with her. Not wise to wear in the city.

My former wife had a 2 baht chain snatched off her neck as she was getting on a bus. The thief was young and easily outpaced her. Cried buckets as well you might. I had frequently told her not too have expensive gold on show as people these days know the value of Thai gold. Had to learn the hard way.

Good advice and whilst on that sorry subject educate her on leaving anything in the car. My wife would (try) to leave her handbag on the passenger seat of the car when we parked up.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DaLa said:

This may or may not work for her , but here goes and give it a try.  There are no 'charity shops' in Thailand. The first time my wife came across a charity shop she was bewildered at the amount of womens clothes that were available. Most in nearly new condition and also some 'last seasons' new stock donated from the big store groups.

When ever my wife goes to the UK with me she hardly takes any clothes and stocks up on perfectly nice shoes, coats etc. She also buys (again nearly new) childrens clothes for some of her relatives kids. If they have British labels even better.

Footnote, the problem if it does appeal you'll be bored stiff for an hour whilst she's umming and ahhing over what to buy.

Spot on. Both my wives loved the charity shops. Couldn't keep first wife out of them !! The problem started when she got a virtually brand new , perfectly fitting pair of Armani jeans. After that I had no peace, We had to visit each and every charity shop within a hundred mile radius until she had a whole new wardrobe stuffed with designer label clothes and news.

Back in Thailand she wore them all the time bragging to her friends how they had cost her a fortune but money was no problem for quality clothes.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Wife loved the clothes shops in Manchester. Cheaper than London. Also took her on the tram then another buffet lunch in Manchesters China Town. She even enjoyed the motorway driving and at how far better they are than anything in Thailand.

Oriental Buffet and China town isn't REALLY English food. Get her to a PROPER pub lunch

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DaLa said:

This may or may not work for her , but here goes and give it a try.  There are no 'charity shops' in Thailand. The first time my wife came across a charity shop she was bewildered at the amount of womens clothes that were available. Most in nearly new condition and also some 'last seasons' new stock donated from the big store groups.

When ever my wife goes to the UK with me she hardly takes any clothes and stocks up on perfectly nice shoes, coats etc. She also buys (again nearly new) childrens clothes for some of her relatives kids. If they have British labels even better.

Footnote, the problem if it does appeal you'll be bored stiff for an hour whilst she's umming and ahhing over what to buy.

Can't believe that I forgot to mention that....my missus lives in charity shops and we have brought back brass kettles, china ornaments, etc, etc

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, phetphet said:

Tell her to wrap up warm. UK at this time of year can feel very cold for a Thai.

Depending on her interests, maybe the Natural History museum (especially the dinosaur skeleton and the Blue Whale), Science Museums, or V and A Museum (fashion history).. Perhaps Kew Gardens. Maybe check out any Farmer's Markets.  In fact any markets or shopping malls.

Thais, especially the women really seem to miss their home food.

I doubt she will have room for presents. Her suitcase will probably be filled with Thai herb, spices and vegetables to cook her own food. So you might want to warn her about what is, and what is not allowed to be brought into the UK. Not a good start if everything confiscated on arrival.

Try and find a good authentic Thai restaurant for a night out.

HTH.

Was China Town for my wife, loaded up with stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1