Foreign tourism is Thailand’s only hope in 2023 as exports dim with hard times seen in key markets

webfact

12 hours ago, davemos said:

Cambodia is booming with a vibrant night life and much cheaper prices

Thank you for your comments which I can vouch for living in retirement in Siem Reap. What is now very noticeable are the many foreign tourists again flocking to see Angkor Wat and its associated Archaeological Park, among many other tourist attractions. I do not know what Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville are like these day other than NO Chinese tourists, only resident Chinese ex-pats or those Chinese from a neighbouring country who can travel. As for prices, for example a 24 small bottle pack of Beer Chang in MAKRO currently on special offer:

CHANG CLASSIC BEER BOTTLE 330ML*24

Code 330603
$22.90
-4%
$21.80 (91 US cents per bottle - 32 baht)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, davemos said:

If they want tourists ( young ) they should have late closing clu bs and.less restrictions on alcaho.l Cambodia is booming with a vibrant night life and much cheaper prices .Perhaos open latenight venues in designated areas . No one wants to get chucked out of a venue because of  silly laws .

Mmmm. My experience of drinking till 4am in the 'old days' were a few sad old men with nowhere better to go and small groups of young idiot men starting their holidays getting stupid with alcohol. Well, that was the case in my bar -- of course, the young men paid well but the older ones (who'd been drinking since opening time) nursed their drinks! Bloody boring nights!

12 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Will said:

Mmmm. My experience of drinking till 4am in the 'old days' were a few sad old men with nowhere better to go and small groups of young idiot men starting their holidays getting stupid with alcohol. Well, that was the case in my bar -- of course, the young men paid well but the older ones (who'd been drinking since opening time) nursed their drinks! Bloody boring nights!

I tend to agree. There are few things in this world more boring than drinking one beer after another. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

How can Thailand possibly expect large numer of long haul tourists with the current astronomic cost of airline tickets?  Prior to covid, for London to Bangkok I generally paid between £450 to £500. 

In  April this year (7 months in advance), after considerable searching, I managed to find slightly cheaper discounted tickets for return travel to Bangkok on Dec. 1, returning Jan 5 for £905 each, traveling on Thai Air.  I made several searches and each time the logarithums checking my searches put the price up, up, up.

Since buying our tickets, I receive regular emails showing latest price updates for tickets in the same period and which peaked recently at just under £2000 each, cattle class.

With the current world wide recession, how many quality Western tourist can Thailand honestly expect to attact in the hope that tourism will ease the current ecomomic malaise?  They are surely dreaming in cloud cuckoo land!

I have paid $840 round trip to Los Angeles twice already this year. You can get bargains. 

However, the projections and the numbers being quoted are entirely fake, no doubt. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I have paid $840 round trip to Los Angeles twice already this year. You can get bargains. 

However, the projections and the numbers being quoted are entirely fake, no doubt. 

Oh yes! I agree that there are much cheaper airlines than Thai  Air.  But who, in their right mind, wants to travel for up to 48 hours on grotty third world airlines with 2 or 3 stops.  Also, unfortunately, my "one who shall be obeyed" will not permit.

1 minute ago, My Paradice Lost said:

Oh yes! I agree that there are much cheaper airlines than Thai  Air.  But who, in their right mind, wants to travel for up to 48 hours on grotty third world airlines with 2 or 3 stops.  Also, unfortunately, my "one who shall be obeyed" will not permit.

I am speaking of EVA or ANA. Both are far better than Thai air. And besides, sometimes you just have to tell her NO! Especially when she is being nonsensical. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We got under 800 rt la BKK recently. 1 stop Japan.  ANA via United.  However Delta and many were charging high fares and all over the place.  In 6 years and 12 trips I have never flown non stop.  don't really see many of those flights from the West coast or they are to HISO for me.  Hotels seemed to be charging 2019 prices.   Rising COVID cases are a concern for travel for sure could mess up a visit. 

Im feeling the 8% + drop in USD to bht.  It was 38.4 I saw once but now like 35.8 for every 1000$ that's  less 8 massages or most of a  fun night out lost.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

How can Thailand possibly expect large numer of long haul tourists with the current astronomic cost of airline tickets?  Prior to covid, for London to Bangkok I generally paid between £450 to £500. 

In  April this year (7 months in advance), after considerable searching, I managed to find slightly cheaper discounted tickets for return travel to Bangkok on Dec. 1, returning Jan 5 for £905 each, traveling on Thai Air.  I made several searches and each time the logarithums checking my searches put the price up, up, up.

Since buying our tickets, I receive regular emails showing latest price updates for tickets in the same period and which peaked recently at just under £2000 each, cattle class.

With the current world wide recession, how many quality Western tourist can Thailand honestly expect to attact in the hope that tourism will ease the current ecomomic malaise?  They are surely dreaming in cloud cuckoo land!

Well thats the question.

I don't think it's in doubt that the world is headed into a recession in 2023. How deep and how long thats gonna be, who knows.

I work for an airline, and between the skyrocketing price for JetA and pilot shortage prices have gone through the roof.

So the prospects for folks figuring on a long haul vacation are I believe somewhat subdued.

So the Chinese are locked down, the Europeans and North Americans are preoccupied with paying the bills and keeping their jobs, all hopes rest with the Indians I guess

Good Luck with that

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The results of a too expensive THB.... Thailand hotels are more expensive than hotels in Paris, some products are even more expensive than in the western countries.. just a bottle of water I paid in Spain 50 eurocent ( about 19 THB) and here in Thailand the same bottle at Tops 57 THB. With rising petrol costs tourists can find cheaper destinations with less restrictions such as alcohol sales, and non banned e cigarettes. The same is happening in the export. If the THB is too expensive people will go buy somewhere else, which they are already doing and the results will be known only in several months. It is a lack of management by the Thai Government, who doesn't see and don't take any action for these problems. Everything must be looking good to save face, but the reality is getting the country down. and see what is happening again.. Export in hard times... THB more expensive instead of cheaper.. 

Yet if you had gone to a 7/11, that same bottle of water would only have cost about 8 or 9 baht.

If you go to any Tops, Villa or Friendship you will pay far more for the same items as you would elsewhere.

Other than that I agree with you about the government and the way that they are running Thailand.

8 hours ago, damo1967 said:

You can do 90 day reporting online, and it literally takes 3-4 moinutes.

I do my 90 day report in person and blend it in with a bulk shopping trip.

It takes me a bit longer now as the IO is about 7km out of town but still only 30 minutes every 3 months.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I do my 90 day report in person and blend it in with a bulk shopping trip.

It takes me a bit longer now as the IO is about 7km out of town but still only 30 minutes every 3 months.

Sounds good..  you can still do the 90 day reporting at Blu Port...  only when you extending your Retirement Visa for another 12 months do you have to go to the IO 7km away ????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yet if you had gone to a 7/11, that same bottle of water would only have cost about 8 or 9 baht.

If you go to any Tops, Villa or Friendship you will pay far more for the same items as you would elsewhere.

Other than that I agree with you about the government and the way that they are running Thailand.

It was a bottle Evian and not a normal cheap bottle.. you only can compare the same things

You think Thailand is squealing now. If China starts any aggression in the area what so ever , Not only will the tourist trade go back to covid levels, but factories will move out faster than you can say "cat in a hat". I give it 5 years tops..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

Sounds good..  you can still do the 90 day reporting at Blu Port...  only when you extending your Retirement Visa for another 12 months do you have to go to the IO 7km away ????

But first I have to get to Kamphaeng Phet which is 65km away. Hence the reason I combine it with a bulk shopping trip.

When I first started I had to go to Mae Sot 185km each way, then to Nakhon Sawan 135km away. Now it is KPP only 65 km away.

9 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

It was a bottle Evian and not a normal cheap bottle.. you only can compare the same things

Is there a difference in taste?

I wouldn't really know as my water comes from a 3,000 litre stainless steel rainwater tank.

2 hours ago, damo1967 said:

Wish I could get a CRO at bluport....sigh