Another farang gets run over on zebra crossing

scubascuba3

Blood-yell! Any indication how he fared??

He had the green light by the looks of it: -

• The person on the opposite side started crossing at the same time. 
  • The white car in the outside lane was evidently slowing.

I don't see much sign of the pickup braking. And of course, it failed to stop!

Many of us put way too much faith in having the green light. Guilty as charged m'lud, I've come close a few times here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That crossing is deadly because people are going 60kph and don't want to stop. You can't just walk out though in Thailand, must ensure traffic has stopped

I'll be there for Melly Klitmat, thanks for the warning.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think they are more of a danger than a benefit, since many locals simply ignore them......tourists are lured into using them expecting discipline like at home. 

Any more feedback... how is the guy, have they located the driver yet?

i tend to avoid zebra crossings, safer that way. I'm guessing more info will come out today or tomorrow about the accident, nothing yet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i tend to avoid zebra crossings, safer that way. I'm guessing more info will come out today or tomorrow about the accident, nothing yet

I tried to see the lights and unlike another poster could not determine they had just changed to the pedestrians benefit..... here there is a dangerous 5 second dwell before a red light MIGHT be taken seriously. 

It's a difficult decision to stop or not to stop at a crossing. 

I try to stop for anyone crossing the road, depending on what I see in the rear mirrors. If it's clear of vehicles behind, I stop. If I have vehicles bearing down on me behind, I tend not to stop. 

Times I've stopped and the pedestrians are walking on the crossing in front of me and a motorbike or car just goes round me.

Better in Vietnam where you do what the locals do and pray as you're crossing a road.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing can ever be assumed here, when it comes to traffic and pedestrian safety. Always assume you are walking into a war zone, and always look out for hostile forces, drunk, stupid or dull drivers, and assume danger is lurking everywhere. Look both ways before stepping onto the pavement, and walk fast. Assume danger. Casual is not the right attitude here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thing I do not understand when looking at the video. The Gentleman appears to be looking directly at the oncoming traffic when he steps out. It is clear the car is going far too fast to stop in the distance. Seems almost like a suicide mission, unless he is not capable of judging distance and speed.

I hope he is ok and recovers quickly.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

One thing I do not understand when looking at the video. The Gentleman appears to be looking directly at the oncoming traffic when he steps out. It is clear the car is going far too fast to stop in the distance. Seems almost like a suicide mission, unless he is not capable of judging distance and speed.

Yeah i think he just decided that traffic is meant to stop so I'll walk out, that's a deathwish attitude, maybe he's a tourist and doesn't understand how it works here

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Absolutely correct. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah i think he just decided that traffic is meant to stop so I'll walk out, that's a deathwish attitude, maybe he's a tourist and doesn't understand how it works here

I believe you could be right. I have mentioned this before, and apologies for repeating myself. A few years ago the Wife passed her test on the second attempt. ( more by luck than judgement), The very next day, outside Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin, I stopped for the red light at the crossing point. She asked why I stopped, so I pointed out the red light. Her answer was........wait for it....................Oh, that only counts if someone is crossing, if there is no-one there you can drive through................:crazy:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand needs to hire some traffic guards. They only have 10 cops on each block anyways.

Personally i always hold my arm out like a traffic guard when i cross the street, that way i know the drivers see me. This works very well.

That sounds similar to the Jakarta "magic hand" technique. But I don't know if it ruffles feathers here or not so I rarely use it. 

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Intentional, so first degree manslaughter. 5 years in the slammer in most places. Not here, the victim will have to pay the damages to the truck. Disgusting place.

I  agree that it looked deliberate. Especially as didn't stop.

The driver had plenty of time to either slow down, stop or swerve, but just continued straight on.

Must have been an almighty bang.

Even if not paying attention, or high on something, driving off like that makes him or her as guilty as hell. Hopefully the police catch them.

I never trust any drivers here when crossing the road. Most of them seem to think the zebra crossings are just painted there to make the road look pretty.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will cross a road without even looking to see if cars/bikes are coming, stopping etc....not just in Thailand but cities all over the world.  A lot of them seem fixated on looking at a phone, perhaps something very important like looking at a pic of someone's lunch choice.  There are lots and lots of drivers who run red lights, ignore crosswalks, turn on no turn signs, drive wrong way on one way streets, etc.  Why anyone would just assume that the drivers are paying attention, following common sense laws, not looking at their phone or tuning the radio. doing their makeup, eating lunch etc is truly a death wish mystery.

My only surprise is that more people don't get hit, maimed, killed.  Moms advice to look twice before crossing a street was and is still very good advice....in Thailand I would suggest look twice or more every direction possible then look again before you step off the curb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will cross a road without even looking to see if cars/bikes are coming, stopping etc..

Don't forget many that will look completely the wrong way!

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Knowledge is knowing it is a one-way street. Wisdom is looking both ways, anyway.????

Well the road where this happened is actually a dual carriageway...

I also see there are barriers to prevent pedestrians crossing elsewhere... for their safety which is ironic. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well the road where this happened is actually a dual carriageway...

I also see there are barriers to prevent pedestrians crossing elsewhere... for their safety which is ironic. 

So wait for a gap in the traffic.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Four stitches and some heavy bruising according to 103 FM radio.

• Like 1