Visa exemption extensions changed?

Is there any change on visa exemptions recently? 

I emailed my embassy and they explicitly said if I enter with a 45 day visa exemption there will be no extensions granted at all. However tourist visas are allowed 60 days plus 30 extension if needed. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 30 day extension of stay for a visa exempt entry is certainly available. People are applying for them every day at immigration.

A embassy is not a good source of info about visa exempt entries and the extension of them or for that matter anything done at immigration. Some embassies have info on their websites that is over a decade old.

Yea I wasn’t too worried about the website but this was an email directly from them as I was inquiring about visa exemption. This is what they said 

As of October 1,2022 to March 31,2023, a Canadian passport holder is entitled to visit Thailand as a tourist without a visa for 45 days.  The Visa Exemption Scheme Program cannot be extended and a round-trip ticket is required.  To re-enter the Kingdom by using the visa exemption (for the 2nd time) is solely at the discretion of the Immigration Officer in Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Yea I wasn’t too worried about the website but this was an email directly from them as I was inquiring about visa exemption. This is what they said 

Just the same incorrect and out of date information. Visa exempt extensions have been allowed since 2014 and that has not been changed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And multiple reports and checklists that no proof of onward travel was required for the 30 day extension.

Potential problem is always the airline if your booking exceeds 45 days.

Yes, it's only a problem if they ask for it, at which point it becomes a big problem if you don't have it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it's only a problem if they ask for it, at which point it becomes a big problem if you don't have it.

Meh. You can book a refundable onward flight on your smartphone, or ask for a supervisor and politely state your case/sign waiver etc. 

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Meh. You can book a refundable onward flight on your smartphone,

Absolutely correct.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

or ask for a supervisor and politely state your case/sign waiver etc.

You can certainly ask but it’s likely that a refusal will be the reply. And that is dependent on location and airline.

I have a 45-day permission to stay until 5th January, before which I'll renew my one-year marriage extension once I leave and re-enter Thailand (leave 18th Dec/return 25th Dec). Will the 5th January permission in my passport be accepted by the airline? (I understand that that date might become irrelevant once I leave the country?) Especially as my passport shows previous one-year extensions and I'll state my intention of applying again within the time I'm allowed on a new 45-day non-visa entry.

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a 45-day permission to stay until 5th January, before which I'll renew my one-year marriage extension once I leave and re-enter Thailand (leave 18th Dec/return 25th Dec). Will the 5th January permission in my passport be accepted by the airline? (I understand that that date might become irrelevant once I leave the country?) Especially as my passport shows previous one-year extensions and I'll state my intention of applying again within the time I'm allowed on a new 45-day non-visa entry.

That Permission of Stay is no longer valid once you leave the country unless you have  a re-entry permit. Won't you just come back in Visa Exempt 25th Dec and get a new 45 day Permission.... which you can convert to Non-Imm-O entry, and then onto the 1 year marriage extension?

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That Permission of Stay is no longer valid once you leave the country unless you have  a re-entry permit. Won't you just come back in Visa Exempt 25th Dec and get a new 45 day Permission.... which you can convert to Non-Imm-O entry, and then onto the 1 year marriage extension?

That's exactly my plan. But there is a chance the airline will want to see a ticket out of Thailand.

12 hours ago, dj230 said:

As of October 1,2022 to March 31,2023, a Canadian passport holder is entitled to visit Thailand as a tourist without a visa for 45 days.  The Visa Exemption Scheme Program cannot be extended and a round-trip ticket is required.  To re-enter the Kingdom by using the visa exemption (for the 2nd time) is solely at the discretion of the Immigration Officer in Thailand. 

This sort of confidently stated and totally incorrect information from the consular officials is the norm. People tend to assume that the Thai embassy should be a reliable source of information on all things Thai, but in reality they are horribly ignorant of anything except the services they provide themselves. Unfortunately, their almost total ignorance triggers the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Like 1