Netizens Blast Building A Drain Higher Than The Road

webfact

As Steven pointed out, they build the drain covers first, then make up the road. They di da similar thing a few years ago along the railway line road in Hua Hin. The only fly in the ointment is that the bike riders and cars are going in all directions to avoid them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

The FSL would be what is shown on the drawings and therefore the contractor built it as required. It has been raised like shown as that will be the level after road base material and bitumen has been laid.

They need to get the road done asap.

I agree with your conclusion theoretically.

But how did you confirm this is the case? See the drawings your self or another news source?

Furthermore, a road drain placed within the traffic way ( ie., road center) means the road surface must be inverted towards the center of the road. A drain is typically placed at the roadway edge by a crown in the roadway where water needs to be directed away from the road surface that otherwise may create ponding on the road. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

A drain is typically placed at the roadway edge by a crown in the roadway where water needs to be directed away from the road surface that otherwise may create ponding on the road. 

correct .....  If you notice the location of the drain is not in the centre of the road but over the far right side possible 3/4 of the total road width at least,  although it's not on the edge of the roadway, I can only presume that the location of the pipe installation was put there was either something prevented the pipe running alone the far edge of the road such as another pipe or underground service and the location was not absolutely paramount at the design stage.  And yes, you'll notice the road does slope slightly from the centre out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

The FSL would be what is shown on the drawings and therefore the contractor built it as required. It has been raised like shown as that will be the level after road base material and bitumen has been laid.

Yes, it's like those power poles left in the middle of new street builds, the other contractors haven't turned up yet. 

Going to be a thin layer of road base.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yes, it's like those power poles left in the middle of new street builds, the other contractors haven't turned up yet. 

Like this fine example of local construction?

https://thainewsroom.com/2021/12/20/power-pole-sticks-through-staircase-of-new-footbridge/

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

But how did you confirm this is the case? See the drawings your self or another news source?

Furthermore, a road drain placed within the traffic way ( ie., road center) means the road surface must be inverted towards the center of the road. A drain is typically placed at the roadway edge by a crown in the roadway where water needs to be directed away from the road surface that otherwise may create ponding on the road. 

But that's talking sense...

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

The question I would simply ask is after seeing roads in Thailand being built: is that the level the road should be with the correct levels/amounts of each layer ie seal coat, surface course, tack coat, binder course, prime coat, base course, sub-base course, compacted sub-grade, and natural sub-grade. I've also never seen a road in the uk meing resurfaced with a micro sprayed layer of tar.

10 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It's called a camber, not a crown.

Most roads in Thailand are not built with cambers.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:42 PM, carlyai said:

Do you know that the base hasn't already been laid and just waiting for the top layer?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you know that the base hasn't already been laid and just waiting for the top layer?

I don't know, but the base in that road is concrete. I've observed over many years that when the road drops, they tend to just pour in more concrete. 

I don't know anything about roads (except here they don't last long before repair).

The measurment from the existing concrete road to the drain top is not much, so not much of a top coat. Pattaya engineers would have that all under control. ????