Bangkok ranks 6th out of 50 cities worldwide in Expat City Ranking 2022, Friendly atmosphere a highlight

webfact

Here's the detail on Bangkok's rating.  Seems the Personal Finance Index rating (a.k.a., cost of living) carries a lot of weight in the overall ranking as Bangkok scores average to poorly in some other categories of this survey.

https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/cms-media/public/2022-11/Expat-Insider_City-Ranking-Report-2022_0.pdf

image.png.e23feea302a25a843ddf0cd724bdcaa2.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

Quite agree - nowhere is perfect, but if you are prepared to put up with its shortcomings, Thailand is a good place to be.

However regarding "the much improved financial situation", I feel I must point out that when I first came here, I was getting 73 baht for my British pound - now it's almost half that, hovering in the low 40's and has been for a while. Plus (like every where else) the price of goods - especially food has gone up considerably. (The main thing I can recall was that a pack of pomelo slices used to cost 35 baht in Tesco Lotus - now it's more than double that - just one example that I can remember)

Thailand is certainly not as cheap a place to live as it used to be by a long shot, but still a far better option than a lot of places. For instance, the cost of living in the UK has rocketed out of control - especially utility prices, and the Government is in a worse mess than I can ever remember with a recent PM lasting a mere 50 days in office (a worldwide record) due to her incompetent policies.

So, like many other expats that I know, I will continue to moan about the shortcomings of Thailand - the Government policies, the blatant law breaking on the roads,  the double pricing in entry fees to public attractions, the "anti farang" attitudes of some Government ministers, the pedantic requirements from Immigration and a myriad of other concerns, but one thing's for sure - it beats the hell out of working for a living in a cold wet country like I came from! 

70thb to a pound?  Wow man.  You're talking the glory days.  You've been here a bit.  The recent run up to mid 38 to a dollar was the best I'd had 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Bangkok, but I would never want to live there. However, I find the people to be quite warm and easy, for big city people. Bangkok is fairly reasonable to visit.

Funny they mentioned Valencia. I have a friend who has been living there. He said the people are not a big plus. Grouchy, and not friendly. 

3 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

Bur you can get Chang at 60b a bottle, spliffs delivered and never need to go outside your 35sqm apartment since you can get your food via grab.  High quality of life eh!

Oh and go to Tops and look at the cheese counter and drool. 

If you live here....why?

5 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Reading thru this..BKK only saving grace is the cheap living.

All the other scores are low

BKK is not and will never be an intl city imo.

Have you checked English proficiency statistics lately?

Been falling every year.

Can't sugarcoat a t**d.

A toad?

46 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I love Bangkok, but I would never want to live there. However, I find the people to be quite warm and easy, for big city people. Bangkok is fairly reasonable to visit.

Funny they mentioned Valencia. I have a friend who has been living there. He said the people are not a big plus. Grouchy, and not friendly. 

I much prefer Chiang Mai, my favorite Asian city.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

'but are unhappy with the digitization and local bureaucracy' 

I went into K bank yesterday, a simple transaction, I wanted my recorded contact phone number changed due to a new sim. I had all my ID, sat down and spent 20 minutes while the service officer entered stuff on her computer. 

Finally she printed out 4 sheets of paper, filled in a form and I signed them. 

Let's not even mention Immigration Visa extensions????????

In the years that I did them, and looking at it realistically, visa extensions weren't that bad at C W. They entailed maybe 3 hours made up of 2 hours sat in a taxi getting there and back, 30 mins waiting whilst there, and maybe 20 mins of actually doing it. I lived in Pattaya for a short time and actually doing the deed at Jomtien Soi 5 took 10 -15 mins. Bearing in mind that I had absolutely nothing else to do, a bit of a pain in the <deleted>, but not really a big deal.

I've lived both in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and the last time I visited Dubai was in 2015. Was working in Abu Dhabi 2002-2004. I don't think they belong anywhere near the top 10. Well at least at that time it was nothing but a hick town with no interesting or fun places--you know you're in purgatory if the best thing in town is a mall--and it was difficult to get a drink. You really had to get a liquor license, and it wasn't all that easy.

I'm sure it's better now. But to be in the top ten in the world? I'll tell you why foreigners rate it highly, because these are highly paid executives and professionals, their salaries are tax-free, and they get amazing free housing. Even I, as a lowly Petroleum Institute English lecturer, got an apartment that must have been 2,000 sq ft (181 sq m). But unlike in Dubai, where all apartment buildingshad to have underground parking, it's not (or wasn't) required in Abu Dhabi, and a LOT of apartment buildings are still there with outside parking lots. People don't know how to drive anywhere in the Middle East, and my car was scraped, keyed and smashed three times in two years just sitting in the parking lot. My wife's car, too, although that was in Dubai while she had it parked above-ground. I saw some Emirati lady bump into it. And there were no other cars around, either. They just can't drive.

And nobody likes the hot months. Dubai used to be a half-decent place, and is probably the best city in the Middle East, but mind your Ps and Qs, it's not as free as Thailand.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mran66 said:

quite funny these survey rankings...city like Mexico City on top 10, whereas Vancouver in bottom 10...

Yes, Vancouver has a reputation for unfriendliness; this is not the first time I've heard that. But comparing to Mexico City? Come on.

• Haha 1