TAT Governor: Thailand aiming for 80% of pre-pandemic tourism revenue within 2023

webfact

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Or a global recession.  Still trying to figure out the plan to raise billions while the baht surges against other monetary currencies......

I took a look at a couple of other currencies and could not make that determination.... overall flat against Sterling and Euro this year..... so aren't we seeing USD weakening really? The dollar surged previously when they were applying quite substantial interest rate increases to hold back inflation and now that is falling away. 

Well, I helped.  Spent most of September and October in Thailand.  But didn't spend much.  No hotels, no bars, only a few meals that weren't cooked at home in Loei.  Cheap Charlie for sure...  Hey, I did get a really good exchange rate.

Given 40 m total tourists 2019, and 40% from China that means the need 12.8 m from China to hit 80%.

Can't see that happening.

Think they'll be lucky to hit 25 m total in 2023. There is still limited scheduled airlift capacity, and very limited charter capacity.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Given 40 m total tourists 2019, and 40% from China that means the need 12.8 m from China to hit 80%.

Can't see that happening.

Think they'll be lucky to hit 25 m total in 2023. There is still limited scheduled airlift capacity, and very limited charter capacity.

28% from China in 2019 not 40%, however I still can't see anything near 80% revenue target being achieved,  as well as the challenging volume target the visitor mix also appears to have changed in favour of a lower spend per head since re-opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Was at BKK airport a few days ago at 6am the place was packed to the gills.

The majority of the 100ś of millions of people in the world who have some money and have traveled, can well afford the price of a plane ticket.  Inflation is worldwide and much less of an inconvenience here.

As much as the bitter miopic negative folks hate this place, many people worldwide want to come here now.  Lower prices then most places, infrastructure, geographic diversity, entertainment you cannot find in many countries, etc.

I see 60 to 70%, would be tough to hit 80%.  But, bottom line this place is on the rise big time the numbers will be increasing indefintely in the future.

So then why is TAT so worried about Bali taking more visitors.......

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Was at BKK airport a few days ago at 6am the place was packed to the gills.

The majority of the 100ś of millions of people in the world who have some money and have traveled, can well afford the price of a plane ticket.  Inflation is worldwide and much less of an inconvenience here.

As much as the bitter miopic negative folks hate this place, many people worldwide want to come here now.  Lower prices then most places, infrastructure, geographic diversity, entertainment you cannot find in many countries, etc.

I see 60 to 70%, would be tough to hit 80%.  But, bottom line this place is on the rise big time the numbers will be increasing indefintely in the future.

Appreciate the positive outlook, but I'm not sure how much recent tourist volume is due to pent-up demand following Covid, and thus short-term only. Factor in rising airfares, inflation, and what will be criminally high energy bills for a lot of countries this Winter, and I'm not sure how long this will last into 2023.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am aiming for $5 million in profit next year, with my business. Of course, that deos not mean it will happen. Dreams are just that.

With the vast majority of visitors coming from India, Malaysia, Laos and Cambodia, it is likely tourism revenue is way, way down. Sacrifices and improvements need to be made, if the goons want tourism to improve. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

How many tourists like packs of wild dogs; bent cops; Chinese Triads; carcinogenic air; plastic pollution?

Fortunately for Thailand I don't think extrapolating your personal daily obsessions living here as if it aligns in the slightest to the tourist decision making process is remotely realistic. 

Chinese Triads !!!  Where have you encountered them, the meat section of Makro ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am aiming for $5 million in profit next year, with my business. Of course, that deos not mean it will happen. Dreams are just that.

With the vast majority of visitors coming from India, Malaysia, Laos and Cambodia, it is likely tourism revenue is way, way down. Sacrifices and improvements need to be made, if the goons want tourism to improve. 

Indeed and speaking for the UK only ( suspect most other western countries will be the same ) , 2023 will be a difficult financial year , with not only huge rises in energy bills to cover but also those with a mortgage will not be factoring into their budgets foreign holidays , let alone long haul expensive flights . Most families will be staying at home or stay locations at best . 

These airlines are ruthless . A friend flew in recently to Bangkok and he said the flight was full . He paid £1000 with Thai Air which he booked 4 months ago , and returns next March . He kept an eye on the flight cost week by week and saw it rise to £1500 . Easier for an individual but if say a family of 4 then that would be beyond most budgets . Plus if things are not bad enough , the Bank of England may raise the base interest rate again soon . That will stop most Brits from long haul travel . Cannot see too many Chinese allowed to come any time soon .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

As one of the speakers of the panel on “The Recovery of Travel in Asia and the Pacific”, Mr. Yuthasak underlined the strategies and approaches TAT was using to achieve these targets, while forecasting a return to 80% of the overall tourism revenue of the pre-pandemic era. He also stated Thailand’s direction towards more sustainable, more inclusive, and more environment-friendly tourism.

The man is an idiot.. 

The Western Market will be dead, I think. Too many people dealing with cost of living problems. Russia, India, and China, I don't know. For example, my nephew was doing a tour of Asia when covid hit. Luckily he got back to the UK in time. When he! and his partner will return is anybody's guess. This whole take some time out and tour Asia thing is no longer viable.

23 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Doesn't really matter if the tourist is only doing bar things.????????

I thought tourists came here to see the temples?  I would imagine it would matter seriously to tourists who return home with rabies or lung cancer.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

In the newspapers which is from where many tourists form an impression of countries they'd like to visit.

You're viewing it from your perspective as someone pouring over every daily localised news story, focussing solely on negative often one-off incidents however remote the likelihood of it actually occurring to/or impacting the millions of tourists visiting. Unrealistic.

In terms of 2023 outlook and tourists travelling decisions, I think they are far more likely to be driven by the old Clinton campaign adage, " It's the economy stupid ", than the spurious linkage you quote.

23 hours ago, kinyara said:

as someone pouring over every daily localised news story,

Each someone has friends and relatives who are thinking about visiting you until you warn them.  Each negative story continually alienates the ex-pats who will warn travellers not to stroke wild dogs and/or breathe.

• Thumbs Up 1