"All a misunderstanding" as Thai Elite staffer mistakenly takes Thai tourist's bag containing 300K at Bangkok airport

webfact

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If I had a carry-on bag with that amount of money with me, and I have many times, I'd keep a very, very close eye on it. And I did. Always.

I do anyway...   regardless of what ‘other contents’ I may have in my carryon, my passport is usually in there....  (I also lock the bag when its in the overhead lockers). 

... It shouldn’t, but it does still surprise me how careless people are with their own belongings and valuables. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would they? I've many times brought in that amount in US$ and it's within the legal limit. And I'm getting that amount transferred to my bank next month for a job I'm doing.

I transfer more than that every month, but not in cash. This story clearly illustrates the risk of travelling with large sums. Even in my backpacking years I was buying travellers cheques. 

There is absolutely no need t risk take such risk. I once forgot/lost my wallet in the taxi on arrival. I had some cash, maybe 500 Swiss Francs and a credit card in one of my bags, UBS sent me a new cash card, which arrived 3 days later at the office in HCMC, zero stress, zero loss.

Plain stupid to carry large sums IMHO.

Edited by Boomer6969

I’m surprised this doesn't happen more with checked baggage (not the cash part, but the mistake of taking the wrong bag part).

It's happened to me once - someone took my bag from the carousel and went home with it !!... 

I saw a bag the same as mine going round and round again...   a bit inconvenient !!!...

I’ve nearly mistaken someone else’s bag for mine (exactly same type of bag again). 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m surprised this doesn't happen more with checked baggage (not the cash part, but the mistake of taking the wrong bag part).

It's happened to me once - someone took my bag from the carousel and went home with it !!... 

I saw a bag the same as mine going round and round again...   a bit inconvenient !!!...

I’ve nearly mistaken someone else’s bag for mine (exactly same type of bag again). 

I have stickers on all 4 corners of mine, 'Its my <deleted> bag'.

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

I transfer more than that every month, but not in cash. This story clearly illustrates the risk of travelling with large sums. Even in my backpacking years I was buying travellers cheques. 

Plain stupid IMHO.

Is it ???.... I wouldn’t think twice about travelling with 300,000 baht in cash... 

Higher end watches etc are more valuable than that...  (and I’ve travelled with those in my carry-on). 

Its not stupid travelling with valuables... Its just stupid travelling with valuables and then being utterly careless about it...  Its stupid being careless about your personal belongings full-stop, really, no matter the value. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Unless you like to be paid in cash for a job done overseas- for whatever reason ????

Isn't  this what I wrote in my first post? Something like "so stupid  that it leads to think of an intent to conceal some deal"? Breaking the law.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It happens….but not always mistakenly

https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/meet-sam-brinton-non-binary-biden-official-arrested-over-stolen-suitcase/

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Hmmmhh 300000 THB is 8,628.38 USD, in cask? and nobody asks any question?

I've carried more cash than that but it was around my waist and with me all the time. Infact any money I carry on me (I have a reason and am not hiding anything). I do not understand anyone putting valuables in luggage unless they are hoping it gets stolen or lost and its well insured. 

17 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Isn't  this what I wrote in my first post? Something like "so stupid  that it leads to think of an intent to conceal some deal"? Breaking the law.

That might be your take on it. There are other reasons, such as saving on bank transfer charges.

Talking of nonsense.. Thanks for the pleasant conversation.

Ok, let´s put it like this. Most people use banks. That, does not mean they need to have total lack of knowledge of things regarding money. Same like you love strawberries but don´t have a clue about raspberry.

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

What law has been broken in your extensive legal experience?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

There is absolutely no need t risk take such risk. I once forgot/lost my wallet in the taxi on arrival. I had some cash, maybe 500 Swiss Francs and a credit card in one of my bags, UBS sent me a new cash card, which arrived 3 days later at the office in HCMC, zero stress, zero loss.

Plain stupid to carry large sums IMHO.

For me it is not a big sum to carry about 8000 Frs in my pocket, nothing need to put it in a vallet, zero stress zero loss.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That might be your take on it. There are other reasons, such as saving on bank transfer charges.

You are kidding, UBS charges about CHF 25, for a similar amount and I get a much better exchange rate than if had changed to cash. Now maybe all this is easy for me, as I am a good customer and income tax exempt here in Thailand. So motivation for any dodgy business here is totally zero.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

You are kidding, UBS charges about CHF 25, for a similar amount and I get a much better exchange rate than if had changed to cash. Now maybe all this is easy for me, as I am a good customer and income tax exempt here in Thailand. So motivation for any dodgy business here is totally zero.

it seems to me that you might be accusing me of acting illegally so we'll end this right here. You know nothing about me or who i am or what I do and why.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I usually carry my big cash in my undies. Girl's always think I've got a big anaconda down below when they see the bulge. Joke's on them, it's only money.

Doesn't that set the metal detector alarms off when you go through airport security, carrying all those coins ?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The possibilities, motivations are endless.

So you have no idea, no proof only your thoughts of possibilities and motivations.

In fact you have nothing.

He's just clutching at straws because carrying cash is outside of his understanding... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Hmmmhh 300000 THB is 8,628.38 USD, in cask? and nobody asks any question?

What is the problem? Jealous because you do not have "this kind of money", which is a joke anyway and not any particular big amount whatsoever?

Or is it that it is cash? Some people prefer financial privacy.

Mind your own business.