"All a misunderstanding" as Thai Elite staffer mistakenly takes Thai tourist's bag containing 300K at Bangkok airport

webfact

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Indeed, but only because they have things to hide. Could be small thinks though, like whoring, drug addiction, etc...

Many years ago I paid 400,000 baht in cash as a deposit on a new Ford Ranger.

Why cash? Because the Ford dealer on Sukhumvit 62 in Bangkok preferred cash. I went to the main Branch of Bangkok Band in Silom, withdrew 400,000 baht in cash and stuffed it in my computer bag, caught the Skytrain and a taxi to Sukhumvit 62.

I paid cash, they counted it, and drove off in my new pickup truck.

Absolutely nothing to hide.

Perhaps you think that way as you may have things to hide. I don't know, neither do I care, BUT if you believe what you say then provide the evidence.

If you cannot provide any evidence at all, then why are you pushing, what in reality is just your opinion.

Your opinion is simply that, and nothing else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago I paid 400,000 baht in cash as a deposit on a new Ford Ranger.

Why cash? Because the Ford dealer on Sukhumvit 62 in Bangkok preferred cash. I went to the main Branch of Bangkok Band in Silom, withdrew 400,000 baht in cash and stuffed it in my computer bag, caught the Skytrain and a taxi to Sukhumvit 62.

I paid cash, they counted it, and drove off in my new pickup truck.

Absolutely nothing to hide.

Perhaps you think that way as you may have things to hide. I don't know, neither do I care, BUT if you believe what you say then provide the evidence.

If you cannot provide any evidence at all, then why are you pushing, what in reality is just your opinion.

Your opinion is simply that, and nothing else.

Hilarious, if you took money out of the local bank obviously you had nothing to hide, as your transaction was in full view of the authorities. But you didn't wonder why the dealer wanted cash?

In France the largest legal cash transaction between any business and a resident is 1000 Euros,  and it might be so elsewhere in EU, for good reasons.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Not on you wrist? Several? Water to my mill..

At one point, before I had a family I was a bit of a tart.... I used to have a more than one watch... 

Would travel wearing one and another couple in my carry on... 

I imagine many others do the same and it won’t be abnormal to travel with $20-30,000 of watches on their person (including carryon)...  Then there is the $2000 laptop, iPad, Phone, $1000 emergency currency etc... It adds up... 

I remember selling my car in Thailand (was going back to the UK for a couple of years)... 

Sold the car, received cash, changed the Cash to GBP and flew to the UK with the cash that evening...  Simple enough (and a lot more than 300,000 baht). 

Carrying plenty of cash is not abnormal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Hilarious, if you took money out of the local bank obviously you had nothing to hide, as your transaction was in full view of the authorities. But you didn't wonder why the dealer wanted cash?

In France the largest legal cash transaction between any business and a resident is 1000 Euros,  and it might be so elsewhere in EU, for good reasons.

An iPhone is more than 1000 Euro...   easy enough to pay cash or electronic... 

Its not a big transaction. 

I received 3 Million Baht in Cash for my previous car...  

The car before that 2.85 Million Baht in cash...

I wouldn’t have cared it if was an electronic transfer - some people just have a greater trust of cash thats all - of course, I went to the bank with the buyer to have the money counted and deposited straight in to my account. 

Again.... All of this discussion is somewhat moot - paying for ’stuff’ is somewhat different to travelling with it. 

Strangely, I’ve never transferred money out of Thailand - I’m not sure how convenient that is. 

Thus, next time my UK account needs topping up it may simply be easier to carry the cash. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Indeed, but only because they have things to hide. Could be small thinks though, like whoring, drug addiction, etc...

Everyone have things to hide. It is NO ONEs business what, when and where I do something with my money.  Especially not the criminal governments on our earth.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:48 PM, bdenner said:

Not about security rather than frustration. Ever tried to get a cashiers cheque from a bank in this country?

A few years ago I bought a new car and wanted a cheque from my bank, it took 3+ hours because I could not perfectly replicate my 20 year old signature in the back of the "BS" bank book AND to top it off I was charged a percentage of the value.

So your fault entirely, then.   

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

You have a nasty suspicious mind.

Why would I wonder if the dealer wanted cash? If that is how they wanted the deal, that was fine by me. They were one of the main dealers on Sukhumvit soi 62/1 but moved a few years ago.

quote "In France the largest legal cash transaction between any business and a resident is 1000 Euros,  and it might be so elsewhere in EU, for good reasons."

But we are not in France or even the EU so any comparison is superfluous.

This Thailand where cash is king especially out of the cities and it is nothing to Thais in the bank drawing 500,000 or a million thb in cash. Nobody is suspicious about that at all.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You have a nasty suspicious mind.

Why would I wonder if the dealer wanted cash? If that is how they wanted the deal, that was fine by me. They were one of the main dealers on Sukhumvit soi 62/1 but moved a few years ago.

quote "In France the largest legal cash transaction between any business and a resident is 1000 Euros,  and it might be so elsewhere in EU, for good reasons."

But we are not in France or even the EU so any comparison is superfluous.

This Thailand where cash is king especially out of the cities and it is nothing to Thais in the bank drawing 500,000 or a million thb in cash. Nobody is suspicious about that at all.

I can imagine some of the karens telling someone... "Oh no, I couldn’t possibly pay you in cash, I don’t know if you are trying to hide the money from the authorities”..... 

... Seriously... some guys need to get over themselves... It's just cash - not as convenient as electronic payments... however, some just prefer cash - nothing criminal or questionable about that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can imagine some of the karens telling someone... "Oh no, I couldn’t possibly pay you in cash, I don’t know if you are trying to hide the money from the authorities”..... 

... Seriously... some guys need to get over themselves... It's just cash - not as convenient as electronic payments... however, some just prefer cash - nothing criminal or questionable about that.

Ok guys, let's just drop it, the underworld wins. I don't want to get knee capped. Bye.