Inside job! Theft of safe from old couple traced to grandson who informed gang

webfact

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTczMy84NjY1NjQ2L3NhZmVib3guanBn.jpg

Sanook Thai Caption: Grandson said the old lady's rich

Sanook reported on developments in a case where a safe containing a million baht in cash and valuables was stolen from an old couple in Nakhon Sri Thammarat in southern Thailand.

It has proven to be an inside job with the couple's own grandson leading a gang to the house after he told the thieves they were rich.

Back on September 2nd at 11.20 am the 400 kilogram safe was removed in just five minutes while Chalee, 76, and Pranee, 73, were out.

It took just five minutes and was caught on CCTV. Relatives of the couple had installed six CCTV cameras for their protection.

Now three of the seven involved have been arrested.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTczMy84NjY1NjQ2Lzk2MDI0MC5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

One called Weerayuth or Ko, 38, took Hua Sai police investigators to a pond where the safe had been dumped 40 kilometers away in another district.

It was taken back to the police station for examination.

The couple thanked police for their work.

But they noted that this was tinged with sadness from the realization that their grandson Tawatchai, 38, who remains at large was the one that pointed the way.

1669972580-1788-th.jpg

Picture: Sanook

After the theft he had behaved as if nothing had happened and even attended a funeral of a friend putting on an act.

To make matters worse for the couple it has been revealed that they gang had planned to tie up and murder the old folks if they had been home.

Four are now in custody with three more being sought by police. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

So had the thieves been able to get into the safe before rolling it into the pond (I was going to say tossed but it's 400kgs.......) . Not clear to me from the article?

If you had read the complete article an viewed the photographs, it would be clear.

3 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

If you had read the complete article an viewed the photographs, it would be clear.

Well genius show me in the English version posted above where it is clear about what I asked?

As to the pictures I cannot tell if the back of the safe is caved in or not.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, topt said:

Well genius show me in the English version posted above where it is clear about what I asked?

As to the pictures I cannot tell if the back of the safe is caved in or not.

Not a genius. But, unlike you apparently, I always read the complete article from the original source before posting comments. It's simple to do.

Click on the underlined Sanook at the start of the article. I always have Google Translate activated. You'll find the this quote in paragraph 6.  "The staff had to use a forklift to lift it out of the water. Because the safe weighs about 400 kilograms, it is in a demolished hole". 

The hole in the back of the safe is clearly visible in 4 of the 13 photographs below the article. 

13 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Click on the underlined Sanook at the start of the article. I always have Google Translate activated.

I did and saw it was in Thai so didn't continue.

Thank you for the answer.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

they would sell there own grandmother if they could make 50 baht ...  thailand is full of theives.

sick that they had planned to tie up or kill the old couple..hope these vermin are all caught and dealt with harshly..No Wais and a day at the temple

• Thumbs Up 1