Israeli found with bullet magazines in suitcase sentenced to 18 months in Thai jail

webfact

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that Thais illegally possessing guns don't get locked up?  

Liverpool Lou,  I've been here a long time and you don't even live here. Please don't try and put your uninteligent point across to me because it won't work i'm afraid. 

Try it on with others but not ME. ????    haha ....

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If your Thai national you can drive around all day with a loaded gun but as a foreigner you get sent to prison better be careful I don’t walk out with an empty cartridge case the next time I visit the local shooting range 

That's because, as far as I'm aware, foreigners are not allowed to own guns in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Would that happen in the US if the two magazines were discovered by US Immigration when a foreigner was trying to enter the country with them?

It would be US Customs that would check, immigration only care about valid visas, why are you entering the USA etc.

IMO, With two magazines? If they were full of rounds, probably the person would be arrested and then asked to explain what they were doing there?Where did they get them etc? Then depending on any evidence would be warned and released. If he had documentation on him he was a cop in Israel they would go easy on him. Point is its very easy to purchase rounds/bullets in the USA, so why bring them in to the country. Unless they found evidence of some sort of terrorism of course, then the person would be held, for further investigation.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth is not in Thailand so the Thai authorities have their hands tied, the Israeli was/is so the RTP could prosecute him.  Vorayuth has not got away with it yet, five more years to go.

Every year he stays away should be added to his sentence. As if! But here's hopin'.

Some of the other articles, including the link in the OP to a Hebrew article I google translated, say that he had already been in Thailand for a few weeks and was arrested on arrival in Phuket on a domestic flight from Bangkok. That suggests the ammo and magazines passed security at Ben Gurion Airport, which is virtually impossible, then passed arrivals security in Bangkok and then again passed domestic departure security in Bangkok before finally running out of luck on the fourth airport security check of its journey. 

This was not just a single .22 or 9mm bullet which could perhaps have more easily escaped the owner's notice but two magazines filled with 55 5.56mm cartridges which would be reasonable heavy and bulky.  Even if he was in a rush to leave home to go the airport in Israel, you would think it the two full mags would have been noticed during his trip before he took the domestic flight.  He could have discretely wrapped them in a plastic  bag and dumped them in a river or in the sea. 

He is a police border guard. I wonder what view he  and the Israeli press would take if a Hamas security official was caught trying to enter Israel with two full AK47 mags that he had overlooked in his suitcase.

The article doesn't cite any police investigation into the type of 5.56 ammunition. There is a limited range of 5.56 ammo available in Thaland and some of it is locally manufactured.  It would be interesting to know if it was a brand that could have been sourced locally or was it the type normally used by Israeli military and police which is probably made in Israel

One assumes the court wasn't too impressed with his arguments.  

3 hours ago, dxtraveler88 said:

As a diplomatic security officer based at the American  embassy in tel Aviv  I traveled regional outside of Israel.  My bags were never opened but I was a fully accredited diplomatic.  I had to show my US diplomatic  passport, diplomatic mfa ID and my credentials  during the interview before I could check in for my flight.  I made it my policy never to use a work bag on a personal trip. Now retired I still carry concealed but never put magazines into a bag.  You carry them on your belt.  When I go home all what i carry gets locked up.  Also never go to the range within 3 to 5 days of a trip.  It takes a long time for explosive residue to get off you skin and never where the same range shoes and go thru TSA.  If they swab you they will get a hit and they will rally give a major patdown and dig into your hand carry.

Makes.  I am an occasional plinker and sports shooter in Thailand. This kind of scenario used to be a recurring nightmare.  I also would never take a bag that has been to the range on a trip or wear range shoes. Just an empty cartridge case flying into your bag unnoticed is enough to get you arrested in most places.  

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

18 months seems a bit harsh considering you can kill a policeman and get away with no sentence at all. (both Red Bull and that drunk Thai lady)

those were just accidents with or without alcohol or drugs, but this one could be a "security measure" case that is very serious case. How could it go through Israel security airport ? An ex-cop ? 
Was is kind of Thai airport security test ?  

Edited by The Theory

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

What a waste of time and money…just deport him

BFD magazine clips…why doubt his story?

Have you seen the cost of plane tickets lately? One to Israel is close to 30,000thb. They could keep him in a Thai Jail and feed him rice and peanuts for 5 years for the cost on that ticket!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, traveller101 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They weren't empty.  

Yes they were - otherwise the headline would read " 2 magazine with 12, 24 or xx rounds each"

They weren't absent of bullets.   From the OP...and the link...

"Gal Shmuel Farjun, 29, claimed that he left the bullets in his bag by accident..."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that Thais illegally possessing guns don't get locked up?  

Liverpool Lou,  I've been here a long time and you don't even live here. Please don't try and put your uninteligent point across to me because it won't work i'm afraid. 

Try it on with others but not ME. ????    haha ....

Hahahaha...!    Lived here since 1994.

"...don't try and put your uninteligent [sic]point across to me..."

Love the irony of your "uninteligent" reference!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Hahahaha...!    Lived here since 1994.

"...don't try and put your uninteligent [sic]point across to me..."

Love the irony of your "uninteligent" reference!

i'm just joshing with ya ....   after my 6 beers and 5 G&T's.????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Thai Police don't even get that long of a sentence when they check in a whole live pistol in Japan did he say he forgot.  And how did he get to Japan with his service through Thai security with it 

Edited by arick

On 12/3/2022 at 4:19 AM, findlay13 said:

When I went through the security leaving Israel many years ago,they checked everything and unpacked my whole case by hand.These days with metal scanners and x ray machines I find it almost impossible to believe the bullets  weren't found leaving .

absolutely agree, there's no more stringent checks than arriving and departing israel, which begs the question...

On 12/3/2022 at 5:48 AM, dxtraveler88 said:

As a diplomatic security officer based at the American  embassy in tel Aviv  I traveled regional outside of Israel.  My bags were never opened but I was a fully accredited diplomatic.  I had to show my US diplomatic  passport, diplomatic mfa ID and my credentials  during the interview before I could check in for my flight.  I made it my policy never to use a work bag on a personal trip. Now retired I still carry concealed but never put magazines into a bag.  You carry them on your belt.  When I go home all what i carry gets locked up.  Also never go to the range within 3 to 5 days of a trip.  It takes a long time for explosive residue to get off you skin and never where the same range shoes and go thru TSA.  If they swab you they will get a hit and they will rally give a major patdown and dig into your hand carry.

I traveled through Europe one time.  I exited the airport to walk around before returning and had to go through security.   When my bag was checked as I went through security I was pulled aside and had a more thorough security check of both body and carry bags. 

The guy checking me asked when I was last at the shooting range.  I think it had been a week before and asked him back, why do you want to know.  He told me my backpack tested positive for explosives.  I asked if I was in trouble and his response was, no, you are an American.  Lots of American's backpacks test positive for explosives and they owned guns and used their backpacks at the range a few days before traveling.

Since this subject has come up and stimulated this memory, I don't think I should have my new backpack near any firearms or shooting range!   

On 12/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

They weren't empty.  

It says they were two magazine's which implies empty especially in thai reporting which count every round, example would be: 3 rounds ànd two magazine's or 14 rounds and 2 magazine's.  So unless another news sauce states how many rounds I will take it as many others that they were empty.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BritScot said:
On 12/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

They weren't empty.  

It says they were two magazine's which implies empty especially in thai reporting which count every round, example would be: 3 rounds ànd two magazine's or 14 rounds and 2 magazine's.  So unless another news sauce states how many rounds I will take it as many others that they were empty.

"So unless another news sauce [sic]..."

Heinz, Roza?   Which sauce do you fancy?

Why don't you read the OP...

"Gal Shmuel Farjun, 29, claimed that he left the bullets in his bag...".