Israeli found with bullet magazines in suitcase sentenced to 18 months in Thai jail

webfact

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

thousands of young Thais riding around with a gun under their seat or at home under the matress and when they get caught i'm absolutely sure they don't get 18 months jail,  am I missing something ?

What makes you think that Thais illegally possessing guns don't get locked up?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

If your Thai national you can drive around all day with a loaded gun but as a foreigner you get sent to prison better be careful I don’t walk out with an empty cartridge case the next time I visit the local shooting range 

"If your Thai national you can drive around all day with a loaded gun...".

Of course they can if they're licenced, guns are not illegal in Thailand. 

Smuggling ammunition into Thailand is illegal.

More than 10 million registered firearms in LOS

God knows how many unregistered?

Plus machetes,  baseball bats, knives under seats etc..

2 empty bullet clips.. doh..

You can but lighters made from spent rifle shells at some markets.  <deleted>.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:
4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

So easily done......the number of times I've unpacked and found a few loose rounds........????

It happens, usually in the USA, but they just confiscate them and let you go?

Would that happen in the US if the two magazines were discovered by US Immigration when a foreigner was trying to enter the country with them?

Just now, dallen52 said:

Can you not see the difference between the 10 million legally owned guns in Thailand and illegally 'smuggled' bullet magazines?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If this is just two empty magazines then this is way over the top.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

He probably had a police ID or was known personally at that airport by the employees, he may have been allowed to skip some of the security process such as x-rays. 

So I wasn’t the only one who was thinking this. Pretty obvious to me.

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

You can but lighters made from spent rifle shells at some markets.  <deleted>.

clips? you be listening to too much snoop diggety dawg homey

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritScot said:
33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If this is just two empty magazines then this is way over the top.

They weren't empty.

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

How did they get through the security checks the Israel end ?

the article says this has happened before. quoting from the article in the link above:

"The Foreign Ministry has in the past urged citizens going abroad, many of whom are freshly released from military service, to double-check their luggage to make sure there are no stray bullets."

so something real funky going on at the airport if they let these people through with live ammunition. I was thinking about signing up and leaving a comment to that effect but then I thought better of it, I don't want to get cancelled ????

This I so wrong, it's only 2 empty magazines. Yes it is easy to miss such items especially if its every day items you use. I remember finding a couple of 7.62mm rounds in a box years after they had fallen out of webbing (that box had crossed a couple of country borders. I was lucky and took then to the ranges and fired them off. It is easy thing to do. God I had drill rounds for years and tail fin of a mortar from the Falklands oh and a couple of empty magazine's in that box for years.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

thousands of young Thais riding around with a gun under their seat or at home under the matress and when they get caught i'm absolutely sure they don't get 18 months jail,  am I missing something ?

In the Hebrew bit it says that the man just finished an army reserved duty and took his new wife on a honey-moon trip to Thailand..

And to Stevev100, Yes, you're missing the fact that the law is NOT equal in Thailand to the locals and non locals, and i thought that this shining light of Thai laws is pretty well know by now...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

In the Hebrew bit it says that the man just finished an army reserved duty and took his new wife on a honey-moon trip to Thailand..

And to Stevev100, Yes, you're missing the fact that the law is NOT equal in Thailand to the locals and non locals, and i thought that this shining light of Thai laws is pretty well know by now...

Maybe Israel doesn't train its soldiers as well as they claim.

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

How did they get through the security checks the Israel end ?

My buddy from Aus arrived with two live 30-30 rounds in his bag a year ago, big fail on the Aussies behalf

Seems exiting is under nowhere near as much scrutiny 

Edited by MadMuhammad

He's lucky he wasn't in Singapore. One live round will get you seven years in jail, It's  mandatory.

I was leaving the army range at Nee Soon after a shooting competition and found a single round in my pocket. A Singaporean friend saw it and went white. He said chuck it out the window of the coach we were on, unless you want to spend the next seven years in jail!!

• Like 1

As a diplomatic security officer based at the American  embassy in tel Aviv  I traveled regional outside of Israel.  My bags were never opened but I was a fully accredited diplomatic.  I had to show my US diplomatic  passport, diplomatic mfa ID and my credentials  during the interview before I could check in for my flight.  I made it my policy never to use a work bag on a personal trip. Now retired I still carry concealed but never put magazines into a bag.  You carry them on your belt.  When I go home all what i carry gets locked up.  Also never go to the range within 3 to 5 days of a trip.  It takes a long time for explosive residue to get off you skin and never where the same range shoes and go thru TSA.  If they swab you they will get a hit and they will rally give a major patdown and dig into your hand carry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

So easily done......the number of times I've unpacked and found a few loose rounds........????

Does that make you a loose cannon? ????????

I know.... I deserve to be fired for that ????

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1