Right of way?

Will B Good

18 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Here in Buriram, when opposing lights both change green together, the usual procedure is that cars that want to turn right expect to go before those going straight on. When I happen to be on "pole position" and am going straight, I invariably force the issue and make the wayward drivers turning right stop and allow me to go first........as is my right. Police are often in attendance, but as one would expect never do anything!

I think you will find that Thai law in this is not the same as elsewhere. In Thailand right turners have right of way so they don’t clog up the intersection

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

In Australia  where a sign indicates, it is permisable to turn left on red light, after stopping, then proceeding to turn left as long traffic from the right through the green is not interfered with. This has been a Traffic Act Law in most States for a decade or more.

Sadly not Victoria although with the bigger roads than most other states slip roads are generally provided which achieves the same thing

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moogradod said:

OK, the most simple question in this regard. Just theoretically (and in case an insurance might be invorved): Is it

1. Right before left or

2. Left before right

on a crossing without lights ?

My wife has a Thai Driving license - recently made - and she does not know. From the behaviour on the streets the truth cannot be derived as I see it. Actually nobody seems to know for sure or even worse they think they know but this knowledge is not confirmed and acknowleged by others. Thats why they move all so slowly at crossings without lights I suppose.

The most simple question has not been answered yet.

At a crossing without lights or signs, who has right of way:

1. The car coming from the right

2. The car coming from the left

Nothing about turnings at crossing with/without signs, roundabouts etc. Just the plain simple basic question.

In Europe where the cars are driving on the right side of the road the solution is 1. No idea about Thailand where the cars are (should) driving on the left side of the street.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blackshadow said:

vehicles from the right have right of way....one must only turn left if it is safe to do so.....

No. At equal intersections vehicles coming from the left have right of way.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No. At equal intersections vehicles coming from the left have right of way.

Thank you. This was the answer I was looking for.

Contrary to what some propose here it DOES matter - in case you will have an accident and the law is miraculously surfacing. Nothing to do with "western thinking"

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would say that is reasonable evidence I am doing something right. While I can converse in Thai, I can't read it.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thank you for your concern, sometimes the unwritten road rules are more important than what you have posted.

no.  it is dangerous for other people you not read the rules.

it is dangerous you belive you are bigger so you can go when the smaller have "right of way". Bully

Entitlement you think your rules is "more important". Same the other thred the poster not wear mask in the bank, on the bus. Me me me. Not care anyone. Selfish. 

56 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

...and then?

Best not to worry about rights, then you will avoid an accident.

I did not intend to postulate that if you are correctly observing the road traffic act you may accelerate as you please. Driving defensively is key. So far for "avoiding an accident".

Surfacing of the law may be relevant if an insurance claim is involved. We do have a nice dual dash cam and if you have a crash and did drive in accordance with the written law then this might help.

And anyway it is nice to know what the regulations are (Left before right). Very few seem to know if you observe the traffic and we are practically driving every day.

• Like 1

Posts with excessive use of ALL CAPS have been removed.  Please turn off your Caps Lock when posting:

5. Do not post text with all capital letters or with over-sized fonts, bold fonts, non-standard fonts, colored fonts or unusually large emojis. Do not use emojis or any other form of graphics in the title of your poll or topic.

51 minutes ago, moogradod said:

if you have a crash and did drive in accordance with the written law then this might help.

Like having a warranty???? The warranty is only good if something breaks. If you want a product that doesn't break then the offer of a warranty is no good.

I simply ride/drive with consideration for others. I don't have to win an undeclared competition about who goes first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goat said:

no.  it is dangerous for other people you not read the rules.

it is dangerous you belive you are bigger so you can go when the smaller have "right of way". Bully

Entitlement you think your rules is "more important". Same the other thred the poster not wear mask in the bank, on the bus. Me me me. Not care anyone. Selfish. 

I drive a small scooter, and a small car. Don't bruise yourself jumping to conclusions.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Why are we even talking about this? Just wait for a gap and turn.

Don't worry about  who has right for this or right for that. This western thinking is what gets one into trouble.

Exactly next you’ll be looking behind you on your scooter as you pull out onto a main road,full of lorries and buses absolutely preposterous?

after 10 years of driving here, i have learnt that nobody has right of way!  each and every scenario must be weighed up and considered before pushing in / out 

being a passenger sometimes in my mate's car when he thinks he has right of way, and someone pushes out and he gets angry, just proves this to me ???? 

• Haha 1

This thread is hilarious.

None of it makes a difference. It's the law of the jungle on the roads here.

There's no concept of giving others the right of way. Just, "me first".

They even act like this on foot too.

It's truly a cultural phenomenon over all of Asia (I think) that I will never fathom out.

• Haha 1

Okay so tell me who has the right of way in this setup?

Sorry for the difficult to see photo. I zoomed in on the light so hopefully you can see it better. But, for details the light has both, a forward and right turn green arrow both showing.......

.....and the chaos is that at the same time the light in the opposite direction shows the same thing.

Light.jpg

Light zoom.jpg

13 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Okay so tell me who has the right of way in this setup?

Sorry for the difficult to see photo. I zoomed in on the light so hopefully you can see it better. But, for details the light has both, a forward and right turn green arrow both showing.......

.....and the chaos is that at the same time the light in the opposite direction shows the same thing.

Light.jpg

Light zoom.jpg

the junction can be considered as a normal junction with permission to go straight on, under a green light and to turn right IF safe to do so. 

Given the incompetence of about 95% of Thai drivers, I drive defensively, and assume everyone else on the roads is trying to kill me.

It's not a good idea to insist on one's "rights" here, better to just let idiots do what they want, and stay out of their way.

I suspect the dogmatists who want right of way, when they are in a Nissan Micra, with a cement truck bearing down on them, are not long for this world.

Edited by Lacessit

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Given the incompetence of about 95% of Thai drivers, I drive defensively, and assume everyone else on the roads is trying to kill me.

It's not a good idea to insist on one's "rights" here, better to just let idiots do what they want, and stay out of their way.

I suspect the dogmatists who want right of way, when they are in a Nissan Micra, with a cement truck bearing down on them, are not long for this world.

It's a Nissan March here - but yes, while I love my little runaround, I feel rather vulnerable at times!

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's a Nissan March here - but yes, while I love my little runaround, I feel rather vulnerable at times!

The only vehicle I would feel safe in here is an M1 Abrams tank.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, notrub said:

In other countries where a left (or right) turn on red is with the proviso that all other traffic at that junction are not also wanting to drive or turn into the space where you intend to go.  I think when curbside turning on a red is allowed (in any country) it is last on the list of right of way.

NOT IN UK can you do except if it is a filter lane and the green light is in your favour can one turn left

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, Lacessit said:

Whoever is the biggest, this is Thailand.

On 12/5/2022 at 3:05 PM, Lacessit said:

Thai, I can't read it.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

the incompetence of about 95% of Thai drivers

the incompetence of not know the rules and can not read any safety signs.

wow.

you ever use the mirror?

SAfety first.

please teach yourself this.

for safety. annoying

image.png.972829a9fe7d3f800c0ae7ec4e4898a8.png

11 minutes ago, Goat said:

the incompetence of not know the rules and can not read any safety signs.

wow.

you ever use the mirror?

SAfety first.

please teach yourself this.

for safety. annoying

image.png.972829a9fe7d3f800c0ae7ec4e4898a8.png

I was taught defensive driving in Australia, which is why I have survived here accident-free. Of course I use my mirrors, dumb comment in keeping with others you have made.

You expect foreign drivers to be able to read Thai signs? 80% of them here can't even speak Thai, let alone read it.

You are Greatest Of All Time in one attribute only, and it is not flattering.

On ignore now as an annoying troll.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Of course I use my mirrors,

Critisise "95% of Thais" 

But you can not read safety signs, not know road rules.

Use mirror again.

look yourself.

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On ignore now 

How i gonna live now?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:50 PM, Goat said:

So many wrong information here. 

if you not know why you answer.

better listen, not speak always.

Correct answer is up to the sign. very dangerous the people who can not read. should not drive in thialnd IMO. Killer.

If the sign say "turn left when SAFE", can go IF car not coming. IF car coming you MUST stop.

image.png.22aa55514e0775fe424b6b1053b3e503.png

or

Some sign say NEVER can go. Must wait for the signal. ALWAYS.

image.png.c2c7976d6f61ad0b5ed6b4fa8e9fef4e.png

Please drive safety.

Correct, so many badly informed posters.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, moogradod said:

The most simple question has not been answered yet.

At a crossing without lights or signs, who has right of way:

1. The car coming from the right

2. The car coming from the left

Nothing about turnings at crossing with/without signs, roundabouts etc. Just the plain simple basic question.

In Europe where the cars are driving on the right side of the road the solution is 1. No idea about Thailand where the cars are (should) driving on the left side of the street.

I had already answered that question.

Quote is in the next post.

Edited by loong

On 12/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, loong said:

I think that the confusion with roundabouts is because there are so few of them in Thailand.

At a crossroads with no defined right of way, you must (or should) give way to the left. Many Thais think that this also applies on roundabouts, but it is the opposite, give way to the right.

Here's the quote